Career Progression knocking on your door

Nullifi3d

Let's say you are in a comfortable job with decent pay. You like your work surroundings and your colleagues; not to mention you are already 9 months into this job.

So along the way a headhunter calls you up and presents to you a better opportunity. This will be a chance for you to widen your current job scope, as well as receive better compensation & benefits (i.e. 20% increase of your current salary).

With things going well in your current job; would you consider leaving it for this opportunity?

Just to be clear, i'm in my mid-twenties, currently in the banking industry in the risk an compliance area.

I'm aware of the external factors happening in Europe and the state of the banking industry; but i'm wondering if i should stay put or bite the bullet and try this role out.

Advice?

↡ Advertisement

Let's say you are in a comfortable job with decent pay. You like your work surroundings and your colleagues; not to mention you are already 9 months into this job.

So along the way a headhunter calls you up and presents to you a better opportunity. This will be a chance for you to widen your current job scope, as well as receive better compensation & benefits (i.e. 20% increase of your current salary).

With things going well in your current job; would you consider leaving it for this opportunity?

Just to be clear, i'm in my mid-twenties, currently in the banking industry in the risk an compliance area.

I'm aware of the external factors happening in Europe and the state of the banking industry; but i'm wondering if i should stay put or bite the bullet and try this role out.

Advice?

leave...loyalty means nothing in banking....speaking from experience...

leave...loyalty means nothing in banking....speaking from experience...

I won't deny that the attrition rate in the banking sector can be quite significant; though i'm trying to figure out how to explain my reason of leaving a company after 9 months.

One more thing, are employers overly concerned with job hopping?

mid 20s ok la...stil mobile. your job hop wont be detrimental but make sure its a upward move that you can justify in the later part of your career. that said, at this juncture, i wld b very careful which particular bank to join tho.

This is an excellent opportunity for you to advance in your career.

It is human nature to prefer to stick to their comfort zone.

You have nothing to lose considering your age.

Who knows, your exisitng company may even counter offer you with a higher pay.

mid 20s ok la...stil mobile. your job hop wont be detrimental but make sure its a upward move that you can justify in the later part of your career. that said, at this juncture, i wld b very careful which particular bank to join tho.

if "headhunter" knock on minister's door and offer him president's job, how to decide? :o

Well, looking at the JD, and after meeting with the headhunter, i'm assured its a vertical progression as opposed to a lateral one.

Local banks aside, most foreign banks are suffering from the Eurozone crisis, especially with Moody's latest release of downgrading european banks credit ratings.

I won't deny that the attrition rate in the banking sector can be quite significant; though i'm trying to figure out how to explain my reason of leaving a company after 9 months.

One more thing, are employers overly concerned with job hopping?

Just say you were head hunted and offered a job with a significant pay rise and bigger responsibilities and tell your future employers how well you coped.. Not that you were hunting for a job.

This is an excellent opportunity for you to advance in your career.

It is human nature to prefer to stick to their comfort zone.

You have nothing to lose considering your age.

Who knows, your exisitng company may even counter offer you with a higher pay.

Interestingly enough, they just offered me an increment.

Imagine how ungrateful i'm going to look. [laugh]

if "headhunter" knock on minister's door and offer him president's job, how to decide? :o

no need decide. straightaway accept. best job in the world. [:p]

Interestingly enough, they just offered me an increment.

Imagine how ungrateful i'm going to look. [laugh]

I beg to differ. An increment is given to you as payment for services rendered (labor) so you've already repaid them by doing your job.

You can only be termed as ungrateful if they sent you for an expensive training course (maybe overseas for several weeks) and you quit soon after.

Well, looking at the JD, and after meeting with the headhunter, i'm assured its a vertical progression as opposed to a lateral one.

Local banks aside, most foreign banks are suffering from the Eurozone crisis, especially with Moody's latest release of downgrading european banks credit ratings.

indeed. i work w 4 banks in my course of work and did lo hei with them during cny. the euro banks r squeezed quite significantly of late. u r back end, the thing u worry is mergers and u r retrenched. but seriously retrenchment is no stigma in banking industry and you r young, so i wld say go ahead and take it.

and if u wanna play abit more safe, go check their latest credit ratings. that might give u some assurance.

I beg to differ. An increment is given to you as payment for services rendered (labor) so you've already repaid them by doing your job.

You can only be termed as ungrateful if they sent you for an expensive training course (maybe overseas for several weeks) and you quit soon after.

That's good point to put things in perspective.

I guess i've got to be a little more selfish and think if my self-interests too.

no need decide. straightaway accept. best job in the world. [:p]

sure anot? if the job demands such high pay (even after the recent adjustment), surely it is a tough job!!

is there such a thing as easy but high-paying job?..... cannot be true... cannot... cannot.. :o

if u think u can do the new role, why not?

there is no kam cheng outside...when they target people for lay off.. they also won't bat an eyelid. the most the'll say, oh sorry.. we'll throw u a farewell..

and besides... wait till u kenna annual pay rise of 1-3%, even for excellent job performance, then u will start to regret for not taking that 20% hike.

Career progression is like upgrading your iPhone:

Person A : iPhone 3 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S

Person B : iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 5

Everyone will have his own way to reach "there".. Don't be overly enticed by increment or promotion. Plan 3-5 years ahead is the key.

Works well for me so far [rolleyes]

Advice?

Some employers do see your track recording of job hopping, but if you can justify it with strong reasons I do not see why not? loyalty doesn't count for much nowadays and changing jobs is a faster way to get an increment compared to staying with the same company, just my 2 cents.

That's good point to put things in perspective.

I guess i've got to be a little more selfish and think if my self-interests too.

curious, you are doing back end role in local bank currently? Care to share roughly hows the annual pay like?

↡ Advertisement