Career Progression knocking on your door

Nullifi3d

Career progression is like upgrading your iPhone:

Person A : iPhone 3 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S

Person B : iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 5

Everyone will have his own way to reach "there".. Don't be overly enticed by increment or promotion. Plan 3-5 years ahead is the key.

Works well for me so far [rolleyes]

bro, i like your description man...

↡ Advertisement

you better think twice before accepting a new job, very enticing with 20% increment, only foreign bank can do that. the problem is if you accept the new job and few months down the road, if there is any retrenchment. what a risk you better consider. if your present boss is good stick it out and wait and who knows the present job can provide higher return than short term gain.

normally for compliance job it should be quite secure esp in risk management areas- do a credit search of the company and whether the job is newly created or vacant one. find out the reason and if the previous person leave for higher pay than take it.

I won't deny that the attrition rate in the banking sector can be quite significant; though i'm trying to figure out how to explain my reason of leaving a company after 9 months.

One more thing, are employers overly concerned with job hopping?

if you are head hunted, go ahead because it is not yourself hunting for the job...

I won't deny that the attrition rate in the banking sector can be quite significant; though i'm trying to figure out how to explain my reason of leaving a company after 9 months.

One more thing, are employers overly concerned with job hopping?

I hate job hoppers.

especially young ones in their mid twenties .

cant even wipe the table properly.

always use dirty cloth without rinsing.

indeed. i work w 4 banks in my course of work and did lo hei with them during cny. the euro banks r squeezed quite significantly of late. u r back end, the thing u worry is mergers and u r retrenched. but seriously retrenchment is no stigma in banking industry and you r young, so i wld say go ahead and take it.

and if u wanna play abit more safe, go check their latest credit ratings. that might give u some assurance.

i know you so long, biggest joke you have cracked so far.

Career progression is like upgrading your iPhone:

Person A : iPhone 3 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S

Person B : iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 5

Everyone will have his own way to reach "there".. Don't be overly enticed by increment or promotion. Plan 3-5 years ahead is the key.

Works well for me so far [rolleyes]

oon oon chiat bee hoon.

[thumbsup]

Let's say you are in a comfortable job with decent pay. You like your work surroundings and your colleagues; not to mention you are already 9 months into this job.

So along the way a headhunter calls you up and presents to you a better opportunity. This will be a chance for you to widen your current job scope, as well as receive better compensation & benefits (i.e. 20% increase of your current salary).

With things going well in your current job; would you consider leaving it for this opportunity?

Just to be clear, i'm in my mid-twenties, currently in the banking industry in the risk an compliance area.

I'm aware of the external factors happening in Europe and the state of the banking industry; but i'm wondering if i should stay put or bite the bullet and try this role out.

Advice?

I give you advice lah.

what is 20% increment per month?

not even one freaking lousy box of cigars.

mid twenties means you are totally wet behind the ears.

basically not even really contributing, still in learning stage

Your decision should be based on work environment and opportunity to learn not on money at all.

looking at money when one isnt even steady yet is so very shortsighted and common of mediocre youths of today.

dont fall into that category.

Money will come when you have it.

by then, a 20% difference is a brand new Rolex watch every month. not a titus/citizen quartz.

Doing compliance also will be headhunted? Don know if these so called headhunters are for real or just wana a quick commission. I got a civil service fren who doesnt have any finance background also kena called up by headhunters.

There is no job loyalty these days but I still belong to my father's generation of staying with the ship til it sinks. This is so stupid. :D

I guess guys in their thirties are differenbt..they yearn for stability only. Every month can bring back a paycheque ho seh liao.

Your decision should be based on work environment and opportunity to learn not on money at all.

looking at money when one isnt even steady yet is so very shortsighted and common of mediocre youths of today.

Very true and well said.

Because no one wants to move now and recruiters need to look everywhere to get pple.

Doing compliance also will be headhunted? Don know if these so called headhunters are for real or just wana a quick commission. I got a civil service fren who doesnt have any finance background also kena called up by headhunters.

There is no job loyalty these days but I still belong to my father's generation of staying with the ship til it sinks. This is so stupid. :D

I guess guys in their thirties are differenbt..they yearn for stability only. Every month can bring back a paycheque ho seh liao.

Because no one wants to move now and recruiters need to look everywhere to get pple.

Nowadays job agencies call themselves headhunter... Due to the power of link-Ed, they all are able to check on on profiles with matching their client criterias... Only the highest management ppl these days get "headhunted"...

Even 16 years ago when my U batch started to work, most of them look at money first rather than finding something they want to do for building foundation.

I started slightly behind and overtook most folks(except those in sales) in 5 years time focusing on building foundation and reputation. Unfortunately now I reach a plateau and need a lot more push in networking to reach the next level.

I give you advice lah.

by then, a 20% difference is a brand new Rolex watch every month. not a titus/citizen quartz.

He's doing aml if I recall correctly. Pay will depend on experience and job title.

curious, you are doing back end role in local bank currently? Care to share roughly hows the annual pay like?

I have a friend which he has worked 2.2 headcount (london time) and after resigning for a better offer of +43% (asia time), his company counter-offer him 52% increment. They know it would be more expensive to hire 2 to replace him but he still left the job.

He had failed in his new job (7 months later) but he is happy that he had moved on...

His current salary is -56% of what he could had drawn previously as his priorities in life had changed...

His annual salary "75K", "107K", "50K".

If that your annual is no where close to his, stay as what throttle mentioned in post 25.

sure anot? if the job demands such high pay (even after the recent adjustment), surely it is a tough job!!

is there such a thing as easy but high-paying job?..... cannot be true... cannot... cannot.. :o

cut ribbons, smile and look goot for cameras, shake hands tough meh???? its damn goot retirement job for the fried cheekon man

I give you advice lah.

dont fall into that category.Money will come when you have it.

I agree. Especially the words in bold.

I give you advice lah.

Gotta agree with you there D. 20% doesn't count for s h i t. Unless of course it is 100% then you have something seriously worth considering.

↡ Advertisement