Bit Torrents - no more btjunkie

Green_carnation

Recently the bit torrents site I used to vist frequently (btjunkie) was closed.. Tried to visit mininova but seems not as user friendly. Anyone has recommendation of any good bit torrents sites?

↡ Advertisement

Recently the bit torrents site I used to vist frequently (btjunkie) was closed.. Tried to visit mininova but seems not as user friendly. Anyone has recommendation of any good bit torrents sites?

Mininova has closed down long time back lor...

the era of public trackers is over (for now apparently), try to find private trackers.

the era of public trackers is over (for now apparently), try to find private trackers.

Discovering a good private tracker and managing to secure membership during one of their rare open registration drives has change my torrenting life.

I'm a member of 4 private trackers. For obvious reasons, I'm not going to mention them by name here.

Public trackers are dangerous. PeerBlock/PeerGuardian only offers illusory protection. So wise up and get an invite or watch out for fleeting open signups.

Good private trackers also block DHT (Distributed Hash Table), which means that the torrents don't get "leaked" to public peers.

Edited by Turboflat4

which means those having to register.. and having to contribute in order to download type?

Yup.. those kind.. usually contribute is easy.. the most basic is just to keep on seeding..

Discovering a good private tracker and managing to secure membership during one of their rare open registration drives has change my torrenting life.

I'm a member of 4 private trackers. For obvious reasons, I'm not going to mention them by name here.

Public trackers are dangerous. PeerBlock/PeerGuardian only offers illusory protection. So wise up and get an invite or watch out for fleeting open signups.

Good private trackers also block DHT (Distributed Hash Table), which means that the torrents don't get "leaked" to public peers.

Looks like I may hv to look in that direction as well..

which means those having to register.. and having to contribute in order to download type?

Yes.

In terms of uploading, it's difficult to meet the ratio requirements (typically at least 1:1), but there are ways to spoof it. If you're caught, you're out, but if you play it smart and only spoof uploads with popular torrents (immediately post-release) with a high number of seeds and leechers, you'll generally be OK. Realistically, this is the only way to maintain a working membership on some of the torrent sites, with our pitiful upstream bandwidth in Sg.

Yup.. those kind.. usually contribute is easy.. the most basic is just to keep on seeding..

thanks bro.. lemme explore and see if there's any good one i can find.. dun think i'll hv problems contributing so shudnt be much of a problem.. :D

Yes.

In terms of uploading, it's difficult to meet the ratio requirements (typically at least 1:1), but there are ways to spoof it. If you're caught, you're out, but if you play it smart and only spoof uploads with popular torrents (immediately post-release) with a high number of seeds and leechers, you'll generally be OK. Realistically, this is the only way to maintain a working membership on some of the torrent sites, with our pitiful upstream bandwidth in Sg.

Thanks for the tips bro.. I guess I will have to explore n findout more.. I hv been using public tracker sites all this while.. so sounds like a noob now..

Yes.

Some trackers allow you to earn points for seeding per hour per torrent.. even if no one is downloading from you..

Edited by Shull

Some trackers allow you to earn points for seeding per hour per torrent.. even if no one is downloading from you..

I know. My favourite tracker has this scheme, but it's very slooooow to accumulate enough "bonus points" before you can exchange for a substantial upload credit (like 5GB). Means having to leave the PC on for many days, which means you end up paying in other ways (power, increased maintenance, etc.). It's faster if you're seeding multiple torrents, of course, but then you have to worry about usable HDD space. Always a compromise somewhere.

I try to be a "good citizen" by leaving it to seed whenever I can, but I sometimes have to resort to things like RatioMaster.

Edited by Turboflat4

I know. My favourite tracker has this scheme, but it's very slooooow to accumulate enough "bonus points" before you can exchange for a substantial upload credit (like 5GB). Means having to leave the PC on for many days, which means you end up paying in other ways (power, increased maintenance, etc.). It's faster if you're seeding multiple torrents, of course, but then you have to worry about usable HDD space. Always a compromise somewhere.

I try to be a "good citizen" by leaving it to seed whenever I can, but I sometimes have to resort to things like RatioMaster.

Can you sleep at night? Are your worried?

Yes.

There is actually a way to beat the download ratio and I believe a bug/loophole in the whole thing.

For example, if the tracker limits you to only downloading 5 files, it is possible to download say 10 or more files your connection is able to support.

And the best part is these files download are not calculated into your limits/ratios as the tracker recognises the first 5 files in progress. To play safe, i block off the http link for the excess files which BT uses to update the tracker.

Can you sleep at night? Are your worried?

Worried about what? I'm on private trackers. It's about as safe as bittorrenting gets. You can't even connect to me unless you're on the same tracker, and that's unlikely. The copyright MAFIAA (RIAA/MPAA) doesn't even bother with private trackers - there are much richer and easier pickings from public trackers.

The day when all the public torrent sites get taken down is the day we private tracker users should start worrying. Until then, rest easy.

Official disclaimer: I respect copyright law. No, seriously, I really do! [laugh]

EDIT: If you mean worried about being banned by the private tracker, well, c'est la vie! It's not the end of the world, and there are other trackers.

Edited by Turboflat4

Yes.

have you crossed over to a fibre plan? i understand your difficulties. Am currently still on an ADSL plan pending fibre activation on the coming 27th therefore i understand your pains. upload bandwidth is narrow and precious.

↡ Advertisement