Honda Civic Gearbox

Keithchue

guess i bought a lemon, my civic 06 gearbox will down shift once i step on the brakes, to slow down, and the rev will occasionally rise to 3K without me touching the accelerator to have the engine brake effect, wonder if this is normal. and during the revvy moment, when i step on the accelerator, it will just rev and no accelerating effect.

↡ Advertisement

now 65k, mileage it not reflective.

going up and down normally is fine, just occasioally will perform this stupid this. gear oil is healthy..no burnt or black stains.....hmm...is there a programming of the ECU

yup, from a dealer....lemon car..just called up a transmission co..maybe let them see....

but it is not frequent thought..maybe once in every 50 times?

There is a reason why some people sell off their old cars.

Because there are problems with the car. And most second hand dealers will just pass the buck to the next unlucky buyer.

ya..so dont buy 2nd hand...me quite poor, so have to settle for it as i need to commute whole island daily...

any other opinions

Don't worry la bro. It ain't gonna cost you > $2,000 + a few days downtime to have your gearbox overhauled. IF you want it cheaper, just go JB and do it. The repair cost is almost half of what you will be paying here (based on price normally quited by KATC, Singapore)

Anyway, I believe the moola you spend on the car + its repair bills is still much lower than getting a new ride. [;)]

Hi there,

Jus took over the car? If so, drive for a little while more. It might be the ecu. Of cos i recommend u to change all fluids of the car since u bot it 2nd hand.

Previously, i drove my fil's civic to genting. Being a manual car driver at tat time, i put the civic to manual mode throghout the journey.

While gg up/dwn genting, used quite abit of engine braking. When i was driving it bck on sg rds in auto mode, car was so different before the trip. On gg dwn slopes, it downshifted, on gg up gradual slope, it downshifted also.

Jus my humble input

i have drove it for 1.5 months, about 6.5k kms. did a full service the day i took over the car. and a throttle body servicing 1 week after that with ECU learning. just curious, is the ECU reflash just for the engine or it consist of the gearbox also.

what i dont understand is that since it goes up or down smoothly, should it just be the programming? and not something mechanical.

Mechanical is like second gear going up to third gear and car die off. Electronical is second gear drag until redline then it will change gear. Which one is yours?

There is a reason why some people sell off their old cars.

Because there are problems with the car. And most second hand dealers will just pass the buck to the next unlucky buyer.

Could be an accident car too. [:(]

Believe it, upshifting and downshifting no problem. Problem is that while braking and going downhill when foot tapping on brake... The engine will engage engine brake dropping gears and ocassionally automatically rev till 3k for the engine brake.

Neutral Newbie

Believe it, upshifting and downshifting no problem. Problem is that while braking and going downhill when foot tapping on brake... The engine will engage engine brake dropping gears and ocassionally automatically rev till 3k for the engine brake.

While going downhill with foot tapping on brake, it supposed to engage engine brake right. Unless you are talking about driving on level ground and when you brake it engaged engine brake then its not right.

↡ Advertisement