New satellite-based ERP is ready

Billcoke

our IU already link to our vehicle number. that is why if no pay ERP they know within 1 week and send summon.

Simi logic neh? I use car, charge. I don't use car, also charge (summon for not using car). Going overseas how? Car in workshop ICU how?

↡ Advertisement

USA can switch off GPS anytime or during war.

Also many will blame it on the poor GPS signal when they cheat.

I foresee a headache for the LTA to answer to all the loopholes tricks blaming fully on the GPS signals which NO ONE can guarantee.

The worst backup measure they can implement is to allocate a certain range of mobile number to this thing.

A SIM card is integrated into the device, when something funny happens, it calls home and updates the error message on the IU. next thing LTA send u or kong letter.

It says that the new system may charge motorists according to where they go and how much distances they clock?! Sounds like those car sharing scheme, also charge by the total distance covered?! [confused]

I feel it sound more like taking a taxi

basket

waste so much money on how to make citizen pay

using satellite

why not spend this money on improving public transport system

better still, use satellite to make the buses travel more efficiently by tagging them

make them closer interval during peak hours

the stupidity

Simi logic neh? I use car, charge. I don't use car, also charge (summon for not using car). Going overseas how? Car in workshop ICU how?

you ask me i also boh pian i cannot change anything.

• Praise 1

It will never work because you can disconnect the fuse, while using the car.

Even so, you can wrap aluminum foil around the unit to cut out the GPS signal.

There will be a lot of potential loopholes.

And gov will have to enact alot more laws to prevent people from abusing the loopholes.

Having said that....I am really looking forward to zero ARF and COE, and charged based on per use basis.

The current one time payment, reduces the 'pain' and 'burden' that car owners feels while on the road; meaning already paid so much, die die use the car everyday everywhere.

When change to daily charges, people will feel the direct 'pain' for 365 days. Just like when petrol price hike up, people will feel the pain when refueling and try to drive less aggressively to save fuel.

If the distance basEd ERP is charged directly from the cash card every time, the 'pain' is felt everyday, which is very effective to control the driving habits.

Can... Why not.... As usual, they will chut the pattern where any car found to have made such modification to thwart the detection will be severely fined.

• Praise 1

Actually the easiest way is to install a tamper-proof mileage monitoring kit on the car. Pay base on mileage. When that happens, I can imagine a lot of ppl will chope as low as possible MSCP lot.... haha....

If they are charging by distance , those parking cannot make it guys reverse here reverse there from and back, and finding lots in a crowded place will they be charged also?

damn them , wanna make money just screw those dogs make them pay staying overseas tax better profit than cars since there are so many of them now.

If they are charging by distance , those parking cannot make it guys reverse here reverse there from and back, and finding lots in a crowded place will they be charged also?

damn them , wanna make money just screw those dogs make them pay staying overseas tax better profit than cars since there are so many of them now.

When that happens, parking will need 2 person. One person walk around to look for a lot and stand at the lot to chope the place and call the driver to drive over....

basket

waste so much money on how to make citizen pay

using satellite

why not spend this money on improving public transport system

better still, use satellite to make the buses travel more efficiently by tagging them

make them closer interval during peak hours

the stupidity

Thought they are now spending money on improving public transport system by buying buses?! :D

Thought they are now spending money on improving public transport system by buying buses?! :D

using tax payer money to buy new buses!!and later on increasing the fares.

using tax payer money to buy new technology!and later on suck MORE money from motorists.

very GOOD INVESTMENT!

Neutral Newbie

Why so concerned????

There is a simple way to avoid all the painful taxation. It's also not much sweat, just cross out a box nicely and it will make a big difference...

As for the satellite we floated to space, we can always use it to receive free World Cup telecast and skip the telcos...

Cheers

They should scrap ALL other taxes (including COE) so that cars become as cheap to buy as in the US. Then charge *big time* for actual road usage via this system. That's the only scenario in which I'll support this initiative. This should NOT be an additional source of revenue for them.

If they price it right, then the system will be revenue neutral for them, at least initially - until people almost stop driving entirely. But that's what they ultimately want, right? [rolleyes]

Edited by Turboflat4

They should scrap ALL other taxes (including COE) so that cars become as cheap to buy as in the US. Then charge *big time* for actual road usage via this system. That's the only scenario in which I'll support this initiative. This should NOT be an additional source of revenue for them.

If they price it right, then the system will be revenue neutral for them, at least initially - until people almost stop driving entirely. But that's what they ultimately want, right? [rolleyes]

Then existing car owner who pay sky high price for their COE how? Refund? :huh:

these are mine thoughts on this issue

1. government planning to charge by per km or even per 100m when the satellite comes into service, this will be disguise as monitoring traffic flow

2. government is going to act blur about the existence of road tax, COE and GST it involves, when their function was to ensure reasonable car population on the road

3. some government body or individuals connected to the government has invested in this technology, so it will be public money to government to selective favored individual or company (this is just a conspiracy theory)

i just dont get why we pay millions of dollars to ministers to think of all this convoluted ways (expensive to tax payers) just to reduce the car the population on the road

- build better public transport system - if public transport system is so easy to use, comfortable and convenient - cheap also, do think many would not change from traveling in private car to public transport

what a bunch of .............

I think U.K or some other country they try to implement some kind of GPS tracking system something like this, & many people KPKB about inflictment of privacy , & government scraped the idea.

See the differences between other people & us.

Its us that allow the FT policy, despite what many think otherwise, the huge increase in housing cost, & soon, for government to be able to track our every location.

When we made a choice, or not made a choice, we also responisble for the consequences of our choice.

Edited by Kiadaw
↡ Advertisement