DSLR or ILC?

Ssbcc

This is a question to all the photography buffs out there.

I'm new to photography, but I would like to upgrade from a point and shoot camera to something better, but I have difficulty deciding between a ILC (the Sony NEX series) or a full sized DSLR (either the Canon EOS series or the Sony Alpha series). Can anyone share about the difference in shooting these 2 groups of cameras?

Thanks. [wave]

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

I'm new to photography, but I would like to upgrade from a point and shoot camera to something better, but I have difficulty deciding between a ILC (the Sony NEX series) or a full sized DSLR (either the Canon EOS series or the Sony Alpha series). Can anyone share about the difference in shooting these 2 groups of cameras?

Thanks. [wave]

ILC is just a compact/semi-pro with the ability to change lens.. since this category is relatively new, the lens selection may be limited+expensive..

just go direct to DSLR.. even an entry level series like Canon 1100D is more flexible than the highest end prosumer camera..

Personally, i think viewing thru the viewfinder is the best.. especially in low lighting condition

Edited by Shull

Both your choices come with interchangeable lenses,

both bodies mentioned are also very popular.

But you should be clear about your purpose for this

camera, so that'll help you to narrow down your choices.

try www.clubsnap.com.sg ... might help you to understand

your selections better. [:)]

Thanks. [wave]

i upgraded from point and shoot to canon 40d + 17-55mmf2.8 + 2 flash guns + 1 tripod because i need want the speed and quality. [laugh]:D

it all depends what you wanna shoot. if you just want to take some higher quality photo and speed is not impt, ILC is alright. ILC is light and handy. if you wanna shoot kids, you need speed, go dslr and must buy higher end dslr

Turbocharged

i upgraded from point and shoot to canon 40d + 17-55mmf2.8 + 2 flash guns + 1 tripod because i need want the speed and quality. [laugh]:D

it all depends what you wanna shoot. if you just want to take some higher quality photo and speed is not impt, ILC is alright. ILC is light and handy. if you wanna shoot kids, you need speed, go dslr and must buy higher end dslr

no necessarily.. a lens with a low f value will do.. ^_^ f1.2 or 1.4 will be enough to maintain high shutter speed even at low lighting condition..

no necessarily.. a lens with a low f value will do.. ^_^ f1.2 or 1.4 will be enough to maintain high shutter speed even at low lighting condition..

cannot lah becasue of the following reasons:

1) f1.2-1.4 dont have USM. I am using ai servo to continously re-focusing on the kids because they move damm fast. I need a lens with USM to conplement the ai servo in order to get the correct focus instantly.

2) flash, though troublesome, have some advantage: (1) lights up the hair (2) allows you some leeway in the ISO (3) can give some creative lighting effect

3) f1.2-1.4 depth of view is way too narrow. if out of focus, picture chui.....

• Praise 1

Thanks. [wave]

I'm not going to repeat what others have suggested but I'll like you to ask youself one question-;

Are you looking for portability?

If yes, ILC, if not DSLR. It's not fun carrying a DSLR with 2 lenses and break your back while travelling; that's what I did [laugh]

Turbocharged

cannot lah becasue of the following reasons:

1) f1.2-1.4 dont have USM. I am using ai servo to continously re-focusing on the kids because they move damm fast. I need a lens with USM to conplement the ai servo in order to get the correct focus instantly.

2) flash, though troublesome, have some advantage: (1) lights up the hair (2) allows you some leeway in the ISO (3) can give some creative lighting effect

3) f1.2-1.4 depth of view is way too narrow. if out of focus, picture chui.....

IMO, USM is good but not must have..

Canon has the 35mm f1.4 L... price is steepy since it's an L.. but it fits your requirement.. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

IMO, forget about Sony, the body might be cheaper than Canon and Nikon but check out the price for their lenses..its [knife]

If you are looking for a decent DSLR, i will recommend the Pentax K7, good thing about Pentax is that the SLR lenses are compatible with the Digital series, which makes your range of lenses pretty huge.

A 50mm f1.4 manual lens can be bought via ebay for as little as $50, and its a great fun lens to play with.

Turbocharged

1DX

PERIOD! [:)]

so long nv see you online.. come here first time recommend the top end Canon.. [laugh][laugh]

IMO, USM is good but not must have..

Canon has the 35mm f1.4 L... price is steepy since it's an L.. but it fits your requirement.. [laugh]

donno want lah......hope to upgrade to 5dmk3 + 70-200 f2.8 IS USM mk2.....but i need the marnie to quickly pay off housing loan [:(]

Thanks for all the pointers.

For me, portability is important as I tend to shoot mostly when I go travelling. That was why i was attracted to ILC initially.

But now I notice that some DSLRs are relatively small as well and I do see a lot of people travelling with SLRs.

One question for those who have SLRs, which lenses do you bring with you when you travel?

so long nv see you online.. come here first time recommend the top end Canon.. [laugh][laugh]

Hello, my young friend ^_^

Its not the top till its launched [:p]

↡ Advertisement