Why is Prius so expensive?

Deckbuild

Supersonic

More likely it is because it is a hybrid car. No matter which make, all hybrid car is expensive.

↡ Advertisement

Oh, I didn't know I used PI Prius OMV, now I know why it's so expensive. I'm quite keen in getting one but the price is so crazy. Even after the CEV rebates from next yr onwards, it's still not attractive as compare many other cars.

In Singapore its expensive due to our tax structure. Globally, they sold more than 1 million, some people like the fuel savings = environmental friendly and eerie silence....Its nearest competitor is the honda hybrid but only prius qualify for SGD20k rebate due to its super-low emission.

There is the 7 seater Prius + this year.

Many hybrid models from BMW, Merc and other car makers, only the Prius is really successful as a common B&B hybrid.

One thing I respect about the Prius.. The interior... Swee la... damn futuristic..

I saw the car in the showroom last year. Didn't even bother to sit in it after I touched the plasticky door panel. The interior doesn't look and feel good at all.

why is Prius so expensive even in 2nd hand market when the OMV is lower than lots of cars?

I believe some/many would not buy it if it is any cheaper (somehow they prefer to pay more for their ignorance or otherwise.

I saw the car in the showroom last year. Didn't even bother to sit in it after I touched the plasticky door panel. The interior doesn't look and feel good at all.

You comparing prius with merc? [:p]

I guess the million people who buy this car view it way way beyond its material looks and touch. Its the only B&B car that qualifies for 20K green rebate coming Jan.

I guess the million people who buy this car view it way way beyond its material looks and touch. Its the only B&B car that qualifies for 20K green rebate coming Jan.

I foresee next year more Prius C on the road [thumbsup]

I foresee next year more Prius C on the road [thumbsup]

Yes, when the new emissions bill is passed by parliament, the Prius C will be $20,000 cheaper.

That may stir up buying such cars - inluding the Lexus CT200H.

I agree with the MoT that because of particulate matter (PM), NOx and polynuclear-aromatic hydrocarbon (PAHC) issues in diesel exhaust - not just CO2, there should NOT be any rebates given to Euro5 diesel engined cars.

This one the MoT has my 100% support.

Diesel cars are not really as great as what the Euro manufacturers have mad it out to be!

The future of this world will depend on the further and continuous development progress made by the Japanese re hybrid engines. The only issue that we'd need to have a long term solution on, is the disposal of heavy metals (Ni, Cd etc.) in the batteries - unless they can be 100% recyclable in future.

Can someone furnish more details of this new emisisons scheme which grants a sgd$20,000 off the price of a Prius ??

Is it an upfront cash grant ?

I'm thinking getting the Prius C next yr with the rebates, hopefully it will be cheaper by then but still will prefer the original Prius.

From review, this car achieve higher mileage during city drive due to constant charging while braking.

Yes, when the new emissions bill is passed by parliament, the Prius C will be $20,000 cheaper.

That may stir up buying such cars - inluding the Lexus CT200H.

I agree with the MoT that because of particulate matter (PM), NOx and polynuclear-aromatic hydrocarbon (PAHC) issues in diesel exhaust - not just CO2, there should NOT be any rebates given to Euro5 diesel engined cars.

This one the MoT has my 100% support.

Diesel cars are not really as great as what the Euro manufacturers have mad it out to be!

The future of this world will depend on the further and continuous development progress made by the Japanese re hybrid engines. The only issue that we'd need to have a long term solution on, is the disposal of heavy metals (Ni, Cd etc.) in the batteries - unless they can be 100% recyclable in future.

I think Euro5 still entitle for rebate.

Hence, non Euro V-compliant diesel vehicles will not enjoy registration rebates with the new scheme, even if they fall within the rebate emission bands.

Because it use rare earth material

The cost in term of environmental impact of producing the Prius far outweigh the fuel savings resulting from driving the Prius.

why is Prius so expensive even in 2nd hand market when the OMV is lower than lots of cars?

Because there are not many on the market, and petrol price is rising and rising.

FYI, the PARF rebate for the car is only 35% of its OMV hor.

The cost in term of environmental impact of producing the Prius far outweigh the fuel savings resulting from driving the Prius.

You are only speaking from driving in Singapore. In other countries, people drive much longer distance annually and own their cars much longer.

Because there are not many on the market, and petrol price is rising and rising.

FYI, the PARF rebate for the car is only 35% of its OMV hor.

To be precise, it is a 40% ARF rebate. For the current Prius from AD, that amounts to savings of $14k+. When the new CEVS kicks in, assuming the Prius gets maximum benefit of $20k, that is only an additional mere $5k+ which the AD may not even pass on to buyers. As for PI Prius with lower OMVs, the rebates are lesser.

I think the cars which benefit most from this CEVS are those smaller and efficient ones which previously were not entitled to any green rebates at all and will be entitled to close to maximum rebates.

The interior except being too plasticky , I find it very advanced..

↡ Advertisement