Volvo XC90

SLSAMG88

Turbocharged

Had a XC90 2.5T for 4yrs 7months. Except for a limit switch that "failed" causing the "check ABS" light to come on, It did not fail me.

Starts with a single crank every time. Battery was never changed during ownership.

Only mod done to the car was upgrade to 19inch rims and tires.

FC bef mod abt 7.5km/litre, after mod generally below 7km/litre.

comes with 3yrs warranty and FULL maintence, including things like wipers and 1 time brakes pad change etc.....

Loved the car, jus itchy backside changed to a coupe..... SM service is v good!

Volvo is a qurky car, you either love it or hate it.

I own a S80 2.5T, the 5 cylinder turbo version which is extinct now due to emission issue. The new 4 cylinder turbo does not have the nice 5 cylinder roar but better on fuel.

Why I like Volvo : its the most powerful car in that range, 231bhp, 0-100 in 7.5 sec. For the same price range, the E200, BMW 523i, Jaguar 3.0, Lexus GS300 and Audi 2.0 turbo all cannot match Volvo's straight line acceleration. You need to pay more for the more expensive competitors to match Volvo. The seats are the best, very very comfortable, I had 3 Mercs before and I can tell you Volvo makes the best seat in this category. Only Saab comes near, but Saab is gone.

What is quirky of Volvo : no auto light sensor, I had keep my headlight on all the time, drained my battery fast, only last 15 months for my batt. I forgot to on the headlight at night if I off it in the day as the dashboard light is always on.

What is weak for Volvo : very huge turning circle due to fwd 5 cylinder transverse engine. I need 3 lanes to do U turn, if I see 2 lanes, I have to go further and look for 3 lanes. Quite frustrating. The handling is very numb compared to Merc, BMW or Jaguar.

I chose Volvo S80 over the competitors because of the nice seat, and powerful straight line engine.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Had a XC90 2.5T for 4yrs 7months. Except for a limit switch that "failed" causing the "check ABS" light to come on, It did not fail me.

Starts with a single crank every time. Battery was never changed during ownership.

Only mod done to the car was upgrade to 19inch rims and tires.

FC bef mod abt 7.5km/litre, after mod generally below 7km/litre.

comes with 3yrs warranty and FULL maintence, including things like wipers and 1 time brakes pad change etc.....

Loved the car, jus itchy backside changed to a coupe..... SM service is v good!

wah... si bey power leh.. batt last for 4-5yrs? [sweatdrop][thumbsup]

I own a S80 2.5T, the 5 cylinder turbo version which is extinct now due to emission issue. The new 4 cylinder turbo does not have the nice 5 cylinder roar but better on fuel.

Why I like Volvo : its the most powerful car in that range, 231bhp, 0-100 in 7.5 sec. For the same price range, the E200, BMW 523i, Jaguar 3.0, Lexus GS300 and Audi 2.0 turbo all cannot match Volvo's straight line acceleration. You need to pay more for the more expensive competitors to match Volvo. The seats are the best, very very comfortable, I had 3 Mercs before and I can tell you Volvo makes the best seat in this category. Only Saab comes near, but Saab is gone.

What is quirky of Volvo : no auto light sensor, I had keep my headlight on all the time, drained my battery fast, only last 15 months for my batt. I forgot to on the headlight at night if I off it in the day as the dashboard light is always on.

What is weak for Volvo : very huge turning circle due to fwd 5 cylinder transverse engine. I need 3 lanes to do U turn, if I see 2 lanes, I have to go further and look for 3 lanes. Quite frustrating. The handling is very numb compared to Merc, BMW or Jaguar.

I chose Volvo S80 over the competitors because of the nice seat, and powerful straight line engine.

Good comments. I agree. [:)]

no will not buy volvo, no more prestige anymore

I'm not worried about the prestige, more worried whether the Geely management will show their true chinese nature and start to sacrifice quality for cost, especially when it comes to parts.

If Geely had QC as strong as Apple's, then I don't mind if all parts came from Geely's china factories, but I have a strong sense that this is not the case.

The Auto light sensor thing was one little thing that pissed me off so badly. even a kia forte had it! apprently, cause in the Sweden, it ain very bright so they kinda drive all day with the headlights on. thus no need for autoheadlights?! thats what i heard.

Hmm the turing circles are actually alot better now, try turning a 240,740 or even an 850. tank also easier to turn..

I am getting really interested in the xc90. I have more or less an idea of its FC, insurance and road tax. However, is anyone able to advise of what type of maintenance and its estimated cost is needed? The XC90 I am eyeing at is slightly more than 4 years old and coming to about 90k km.

ive seen many many xc90/80 being send in to ws.... due to many many reason that agent ws could not solve ...

u can visit that ws and see for yourself ...at amk autopoint level 3 oppsite BMS

That ws is a MOd shop....they tune Volvos by mte.

Supercharged

I have already driven 2 generations of the XC90. IMO, the 1st generation XC90 is the best compared to the current facelifted one. It's sportier and likely to be slightly lighter, cos the acceleration was faster.

But one problem I always encounter with them is the gearbox problems, both generations I have changed the gearbox with Wearnes, each time costing about 20k, so that part is not cheap. Better check carefully before you make a purchase.

I still think the XC90 is a great buy, one of the best cars I have ever driven or sat in.

But one problem I always encounter with them is the gearbox problems, both generations I have changed the gearbox with Wearnes, each time costing about 20k, so that part is not cheap. Better check carefully before you make a purchase.

Wow! :blink:

When did the problem with the gearbox occur? How old was the XC90 then?

Supercharged

Wow! :blink:

When did the problem with the gearbox occur? How old was the XC90 then?

First gen XC90, the mileage was around 72K.

2nd gen XC90, within 3 months less than 10k the vehicle wouldn't move because the gears couldn't engage.

Both were serviced regularly according to the onboard reminder. Servicing by Wearnes.

I have already driven 2 generations of the XC90. IMO, the 1st generation XC90 is the best compared to the current facelifted one. It's sportier and likely to be slightly lighter, cos the acceleration was faster.

I still think the XC90 is a great buy, one of the best cars I have ever driven or sat in.

newer generation models using aisin gearbox, which is the same OEM for toyota.

boss has a SGH-plate XC90, 5yrs+ still going strong at 150k mileage.

so dun worry.

Aisin is the gold standard for the torque convertor gearbox.

if they fail, then most other would suffer the same fate.

what's the yearly dep on these xc90?

Supercharged

newer generation models using aisin gearbox, which is the same OEM for toyota.

boss has a SGH-plate XC90, 5yrs+ still going strong at 150k mileage.

so dun worry.

Ya. It's not a very common issue, just need to highlight that it can happen. [;)]

Turbocharged

my boss T6 i think using the GM gear box. gearbox broke down in 2yrs, quicky sold it away

↡ Advertisement