Volvo XC90

SLSAMG88

My 2004 S60 T5 (in Dubai, the T5 is a 2.4L with a high pressure turbo generating 265hp) always had a problem with the gearbox. Too much torque for it to handle and it broke down badly after almost 100k kms. It didn't help that I use to abuse the tiptronic all the time also I guess.

Turning circle sucked as I'd put 18" BBS on them. Kept hitting arches when I turned. Oh and the front lips and side skirts... looked good but damn low. Never could go over speed bumps without hitting something.

Car was damn stable at high speeds though.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I have an 05 XC90. I'm not sure how you would define common, but it does happen to quite a substantial number of people, myself included. If you google "gearbox transmission problem 05 XC90" you will see that it is quite common internationally.

Apparently this was when Volvo was under GM and in true American cost cutting fashion, they decided they could cut cost and share the 5 speed automatic transmission from the S80 with the XC90 which is quite abit heavier. Naturally the transmission is not made for that kind of load and it conks out permaturely. This was not acceptable to me, nor many other people who had it happen to them. Some successfully managed to get their Volvo dealerships to replace the transmission FOC, but the majority like me were not so lucky.

Mine conked out at about 120k+ km after the 5 year mark. It is not cheap at all to fix and i highly recommend you take this into consideration before buying one. 5 year warranty from Wearnes might help (if you drive it and sell within 5 years, but then you take a huge depreciation hit).

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Hi guys,

I have an 05 XC90. I'm not sure how you would define common, but it does happen to quite a substantial number of people, myself included. If you google "gearbox transmission problem 05 XC90" you will see that it is quite common internationally.

Apparently this was when Volvo was under GM and in true American cost cutting fashion, they decided they could cut cost and share the 5 speed automatic transmission from the S80 with the XC90 which is quite abit heavier. Naturally the transmission is not made for that kind of load and it conks out permaturely. This was not acceptable to me, nor many other people who had it happen to them. Some successfully managed to get their Volvo dealerships to replace the transmission FOC, but the majority like me were not so lucky.

Mine conked out at about 120k+ km after the 5 year mark. It is not cheap at all to fix and i highly recommend you take this into consideration before buying one. 5 year warranty from Wearnes might help (if you drive it and sell within 5 years, but then you take a huge depreciation hit).

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

whoa!!!! didnt know xc90 so jialat [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

my laopork pigkarp axle also broke at about 180,000 km, waste $3K [bigcry][bigcry]

Wearnes does provide health check for Volvo cars so u can always send the car to them for health check before buying.

It costs me $150 for the health check.

There's a Volvo event tomorrow at Wearnes to celebrate Childrens' Day - Kids' Day Out.

Besides kid-related activities, if you have 1-4 kids and buy a new car, they give out all sorts of Apple products from iPad Minis to iMac. Might be a good time to get your XC90.

There's a Volvo event tomorrow at Wearnes to celebrate Childrens' Day - Kids' Day Out.

Besides kid-related activities, if you have 1-4 kids and buy a new car, they give out all sorts of Apple products from iPad Minis to iMac. Might be a good time to get your XC90.

COE so high, can buy whole store apple products le

sheep's hair grow on sheep's skin...I never believe such event...may be Isheeps will go...rather they give direct discount...haha

QUOTE (Silklee @ Jun 25 2012, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! blink.gif

When did the problem with the gearbox occur? How old was the XC90 then?

First gen XC90, the mileage was around 72K.

2nd gen XC90, within 3 months less than 10k the vehicle wouldn't move because the gears couldn't engage.

Both were serviced regularly according to the onboard reminder. Servicing by Wearnes.

Was ur kaput GB from the 2.5T, 3.2 NA or T6?

Hi! I'm currently driving a hyundai Santa Fe 2007 that is giving many problems. Want to consider the Xc90 as an alternative, but weary of buying another second hand car. Can xc90 owners out there recommend good years to buy this car? From the threads above it seems like the GB will have problem.

Also, I have been monitoring the car prices for almost 1 year and it seems that the car dealers are charging up to 20l above buy-in. I thought the norm was about 5 to 10k max? And even when I offered to pay for the car in full cash, they refused to lower the price.

Anyway, please let me know your advice! Thanks!!

Neutral Newbie

How is the ML compared to the XC 90 in term of ride. Anyone has the experience with both. Or is there anyone who has an ML and can share some experiences. I am particularly interested in ride comfort these days! (esp I travel mainly in the city area where road conditions are deteriorating (hope temp situation due to the many constructions activities!). Appreciate any feedbacks. Tks James

Hi! I'm currently driving a hyundai Santa Fe 2007 that is giving many problems. Want to consider the Xc90 as an alternative, but weary of buying another second hand car. Can xc90 owners out there recommend good years to buy this car? From the threads above it seems like the GB will have problem.

Also, I have been monitoring the car prices for almost 1 year and it seems that the car dealers are charging up to 20l above buy-in. I thought the norm was about 5 to 10k max? And even when I offered to pay for the car in full cash, they refused to lower the price.

Anyway, please let me know your advice! Thanks!!

I'm currently driving the xc90 for almost 2 years as it's well known for its safety and a great family car.

Get the newer model from 2009 or later to prevent any potential gearbox issue. I believe the GB is Aisin made from 2009 onwards or so but pls dont quote me.

Go fix up an ATF bypass (google ATF bypass xc90 if you want to know more) and it's almost a 'bulletproof' family car.

Dealers need a bigger buffer for conti than Jap so naturally the buy-in would be lower.

Dealers want buyers to take up high loan with long tenor and get insurance from them so to make extra commission.

• Praise 1

I'm currently driving the xc90 for almost 2 years as it's well known for its safety and a great family car.

Get the newer model from 2009 or later to prevent any potential gearbox issue. I believe the GB is Aisin made from 2009 onwards or so but pls dont quote me.

Go fix up an ATF bypass (google ATF bypass xc90 if you want to know more) and it's almost a 'bulletproof' family car.

Dealers need a bigger buffer for conti than Jap so naturally the buy-in would be lower.

Dealers want buyers to take up high loan with long tenor and get insurance from them so to make extra commission.

Agree, the ATF bypass is important. If you want to reduce body roll, you can always install the anti-sway bars.

If you want to add some "ooommh" to your car, can always get it tuned [thumbsup]

So many nice things you can do your wowo. :ph34r:

The 2.5T engine and gear box should be reliable. Ignition coils will start to give up around 110K km. Definitely much more reliable compare to Sante Fe (my colleague has one SF now and it is one repair after another).

The old gear box (from GM) in the T6 model will kaput with at least 8K repair bill. Happened to my old S80 T6 and I scrapped that car.

BSR PPC 2-minute tuning will give you additional 40-50 HP for $1000+.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I am looking forward to get a Volvo xc90. However, after going through all the comments from 2007-2015, it seems that there are a mixture of both positive and negative feedbacks. Hence, could I know the followings;

1. Fuel consumption based on 30%normal road and 70%expressway,

2. When is the new facelift ? Is the 2010 model the new facelift? Or rather the 2010 model T5/T6 model?

3. Is there really Gear box problem just like what many of you mentioned in the previous discussed topics?

4. What are the recommended service work shops u guys will recommend?

5. How much will it cost for the major servicing at 120k km?

Supposed to test drive the all-new XC90 today 6pm at Wearnes Automotive, but cant make it due to last minute change in schedule.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1