• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
51 replies to this topic | 35 praises

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Tuna_seng
  • Tuna_seng
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

When parking the car, is it ok to leave the auto transmission in P mode while not using hand brake or parking brake?

Will this damage the transmission, even when not parking on a slope or incline?
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

0wnage
  • Premium member
    0wnage
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

It's perfectly fine. will not damage anything. Just that the amount of brake force applied is minimal and your car might roll even if on a slight incline.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Tuna_seng
  • Tuna_seng
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks bro biggrin.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

ShogunSg
  • ShogunSg
    Clutched
    Author Image

Y not just engage handbrake at the same time? Lazy? laugh.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

OK.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Tuna_seng
  • Tuna_seng
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Y not just engage handbrake at the same time? Lazy? laugh.gif

Not me. It is the valets who always leave my car parked without applying parking brake....

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Mach23
  • Premium member
    Mach23
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I am not a techie but putting the gear to "P" without handbrake after stopping the car would cause rocking (to and fro). A definite no-no for longevity of the autotrans. nosebleed.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Jeff49er
  • Jeff49er
    4th Gear
    Author Image

On level ground it is all right to do that.

On steep slope I pull up the handbrake for added security.
Mits Lancer 2.0 EX Sports
Fav team wears Red :devil: My Lancer 2.0 Sports is also Red

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Not me. It is the valets who always leave my car parked without applying parking brake....

time to change car unker...the new 7 and 5...when u put to P, auto electronic brake...n excuse for the calafare Valets to forget... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Tuna_seng
  • Tuna_seng
    4th Gear
    Author Image

time to change car unker...the new 7 and 5...when u put to P, auto electronic brake...n excuse for the calafare Valets to forget... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

My E65 also had Auto P originally but spoiled already lah hehe.. Must manually press the parking brake button....

Nowadays this electronic Auto P thing is very common among new cars, Audi, BMW, Merc, it is supposed to make things easier for the driver, such as you can relax your feet at the traffic lights, and moving upslope in crawling traffic is easy (no back sliding). But what happens when the thing, as all electronic things are wont to, breaks? No more handbrake/parking brake.

That is why sometimes i think the manual handbrake lever is the best.

Edited by Tuna_seng, 16 March 2012 - 06:39 PM.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Tuna_seng
  • Tuna_seng
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I am not a techie but putting the gear to "P" without handbrake after stopping the car would cause rocking (to and fro). A definite no-no for longevity of the autotrans. nosebleed.gif

After googling some, some people online said that parking without the handbrake will cause the transmission lock (when in P position) to get chipped away a little by little. After some time the whole lock will break... Not sure how true it is so came here to ask loh.. biggrin.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Tuna_seng
  • Tuna_seng
    4th Gear
    Author Image

On level ground it is all right to do that.

On steep slope I pull up the handbrake for added security.

How far up/hard do you usually pull the handbrake?

After i drive my wife's car i pull the handbrake up very hard to secure the brake, the next day she will complain very difficult to release the handbrake! laugh.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

My E65 also had Auto P originally but spoiled already lah hehe.. Must manually press the parking brake button....

Nowadays this electronic Auto P thing is very common among new cars, Audi, BMW, Merc, it is supposed to make things easier for the driver, such as you can relax your feet at the traffic lights, and moving upslope in crawling traffic is easy (no back sliding). But what happens when the thing, as all electronic things are wont to, breaks? No more handbrake/parking brake.

That is why sometimes i think the manual handbrake lever is the best.

i still prefer manual, and the stick type...not foot type....old skool laugh.gif laugh.gif
RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Acerchan2002
  • Acerchan2002
    4th Gear
    Author Image

No prob to leave at P even at steep incline. Always do that to auto van when doing delivery. P will lock the wheels

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Soran
  • Premium member
    Soran
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

LOL....i always pull handbrake whenever i put to P

It's so automatic then when i drive a car with no manual handbrake, i will start grabbing thin air.... laugh.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Blackyv
  • Premium member
    Blackyv
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

99% of time I only put to p mode and no foot brake on flat road parking. The only time I use my foot brake is on slope whet I think I need extra safety... I've been doing this for donkey years and so far, not a single problem with gearbox or brake..... tongue.gif

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yixiang1
  • Premium member
    Yixiang1
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Since we are on this topic, shld it b handbrake up first then put to P, or P first then handbrake. I noticed my car manual, says handbrake first then put P!!

When moving off same... Put to drive first then release handbrake...
Surprise right?

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

Jeff49er
  • Jeff49er
    4th Gear
    Author Image

How far up/hard do you usually pull the handbrake?

After i drive my wife's car i pull the handbrake up very hard to secure the brake, the next day she will complain very difficult to release the handbrake! laugh.gif

Just as long as the handbrake is engaged the car is secured.
Mits Lancer 2.0 EX Sports
Fav team wears Red :devil: My Lancer 2.0 Sports is also Red

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Nf0rc3r
  • Premium member
    Nf0rc3r
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Since we are on this topic, shld it b handbrake up first then put to P, or P first then handbrake. I noticed my car manual, says handbrake first then put P!!

When moving off same... Put to drive first then release handbrake...
Surprise right?

Nothing will happen on flat ground the the SOP for on slop is.
1) In D. Hold Brake.
2) Shift to N. Still Holding Brake.
3) Pull Handbrake. Still in N.
4) Release Brake. Car will shift weight to handbrake.
5) Put to P.

This is to make sure the weight of the car (stress) is on the handbrake and not gearbox.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Donut
  • Premium member
    Donut
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Nothing will happen on flat ground the the SOP for on slop is.
1) In D. Hold Brake.
2) Shift to N. Still Holding Brake.
3) Pull Handbrake. Still in N.
4) Release Brake. Car will shift weight to handbrake.
5) Put to P.

This is to make sure the weight of the car (stress) is on the handbrake and not gearbox.

Really arh??!

Oh gosh, I have been doing this: from D, I step foot brake, then shift gear to P. Then I pull hand brake.

Will anything go wrong to my gearbox?
This is my country, this is my life. This is my people.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: leave, transmission, mode and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users