Ok to leave transmission in P mode without using handbrake?

Tuna_seng

Had to revive this thread due to an issue I'm having....

Is it ok if the car continues to slide downhill on a slope after step no.4 and only stops when brake padel is depressed and 'P' engaged?

Well your question is very complicated. [dizzy]

If there is a vehicle in front.....then u wil hit it.

If there is a cliff in front.......then u wil fall over n maybe die even. [shocked]

↡ Advertisement

Of course it's not okay.

Your car shouldn't be rolling when the handbrake is fully engage/pulled up.

It means that your handbrake is not effective enough to stop your car.

Go and have your handbrake cable tighten.

Long ago I drive only manual gear so I just pull handbrale n engage 2nd or reverse gear n use engine to brake the car.

Also can use brick/stone under wheel to stop car from rolling.

Another is if road got kerb If facing downslope I turn steering towards the left n if facing upslope I turn wheels towards the right.

If the car starts to roll the front wheels will catch on the kerb n prevent the car from rolling down further. [thumbsup]

Very logical. I google more on this and yours is the recommended method.

It puts less strain on the transmission.

Nothing will happen on flat ground the the SOP for on slop is.
1) In D. Hold Brake.
2) Shift to N. Still Holding Brake.
3) Pull Handbrake. Still in N.
4) Release Brake. Car will shift weight to handbrake.
5) Put to P.

This is to make sure the weight of the car (stress) is on the handbrake and not gearbox.

Very logical. I google more on this and yours is the recommended method.

It puts less strain on the transmission.

So glad my comments are still helping after 7 years
  • Praise 4

Of course it's OK to put in park without handbrake.

It's also OK to leave your doors unlock and your keys in the car but I wouldn't do it.

People are so free to ask dumb questions?

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

Emergency brake or not--the "strain" on the gearbox in Park is nothing compared to when you're driving the car, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Neutral Newbie

Since we are on this topic, shld it b handbrake up first then put to P, or P first then handbrake. I noticed my car manual, says handbrake first then put P!!

When moving off same... Put to drive first then release handbrake...

Surprise right?

For safety the first thing is handbrake and then put on P and when taking off the handbrake is the last

So glad my comments are still helping after 7 years ð

That is very true, the weight of the car should be on the handbrake not on transmission
  • Praise 1

My car auto engage handbrake when put in P, so usually i just shift to P and hold my brake till the handbrake auto engaged. Den let go of footbrake

I wonder what ppl do now when most of the parking brake function is automated. Now there's even a "HOLD" function that you won't even have to touch the Parking Brake button. Maybe these ppl here will do this.... [laugh]

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

I wonder what ppl do now when most of the parking brake function is automated. Now there's even a "HOLD" function that you won't even have to touch the Parking Brake button. Maybe these ppl here will do this.... [laugh]

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

I already headache reading the methods.... Tot auto gear is to ease driving... Now have headache just looking at parking methods

I already headache reading the methods.... Tot auto gear is to ease driving... Now have headache just looking at parking methods ðð think i need parknadol

Car makers have the headache instead... they rack their brains to come up with improvements to make things easier, but drivers undo it by doing everything manually cos scared spoil..

Car makers have the headache instead... they rack their brains to come up with improvements to make things easier, but drivers undo it by doing everything manually cos scared spoil..

Like the warmup engine routine lo

Hahahh