• Reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic | 15 praises

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

Bic_cherry
  • Bic_cherry
    Banned

The Straits Times; Published on Mar 21, 2012
My point: Maid levy
'Only women are eligible to claim tax relief.
This is unfair and discriminates against divorced fathers.'
MR ALEX BAY: 'I am divorced and my children live with me. In my situation, a maid is an essential help as we do not have any other family member living with us. But when I checked with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, I was told only women are eligible to claim tax relief for the maid levy. This is unfair and discriminates against divorced fathers like me. The Government should review the eligibility of this relief to be fair to all working parents who are caring for their children.'
Copyright 2011 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
http://www.straitsti...ory_779878.html

Males in Singapore getting short end of stick once again?

Maybe the SG govt's message to males is to quit parenting, dump the kids to the ex-wifey and just move on, Singapore needs men to grow her GDP, Singaporean men only to protect the country?

To win feminine votes by giving women in society special rights that their male counterparts should yet cannot enjoy?

I dunno, only can think that PM Lee is just being over-fixated at increasing the GDP [pict] or being so stressed by the opposition that he is only able to concentrate on short term policies: [YouTube: 'PM says: Fix the Opposition'] this kind of sexually prejudiced tax exemption policy doesn't seem to gel with a stable, inclusive and compassionate society that PM Lee purports Singapore to be.
[pict source]

[YouTube fuller version of 'Fix the Opposition']

PS: I'm not advocating the subcontracting of child rearing duties to maids: just highlighting the obvious sexual prejudice irregularities in this particular PAP government policy.

Edited by Bic_cherry, 22 March 2012 - 04:41 AM.

Matthew 25:40: "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"- (NIV)

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

SimonTan
  • SimonTan
    Banned

Anyone has hired a Male Maid from Phils/indon/srilanka before.
Is there such male maids around?

I think gov is worried divorced man hook up with female maids......so male maids might be the solution.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hypermiler
  • Premium member
    Hypermiler
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Anyone has hired a Male Maid from Phils/indon/srilanka before.
Is there such male maids around?

I think gov is worried divorced man hook up with female maids......so male maids might be the solution.

Yes there are male maids in other parts of the world but not here officially. No provision for foreign male maids to be employed here in singapore.

However, there is nothing to stop a singaporean male from being a domestic helper. If there is willingness on both parties it can be worked out. Doing house work is very much like doing your own cleaning and cooking during the old fashioned NS days.

There is nothing wrong with single/divorced males seeking or hooking up with foreign female helpers. So long as the marriage and child bearing is done elsewhere out of the country, everything is fine. No breech of local laws. Not criminal.

To be politically correct to please everyone, and live up to everyone's expectation, the employers can always hire a local female maid to shut up the unwarranted worry, gossip, comments, and complaints.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Jim
  • Jim
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

If the issue is about mothers getting the reduced maid levy, but divorced fathers dont, I can agree, because it is a big sum of money irregardless of income status.

But for the *tax relief", which is double the sum of maid levy paid, the whole intention is to incentivised women to hire a maid and "leave the kitchen". Considering nearly half of Singapore do not pay taxes, if a person with kids still attract income tax, then this is not a poor man, and this is not a hardship issue. Sure it is unfair, but there are bigger unfairness out there.

Like NS. If Israeli women can serve military service, why cant Singaporean women?

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

BanCoe
  • BanCoe
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just received Maid Levy Statement for last year. 

Attached was another letter saying from 1 april 19 maid levy up from $265 to $300

Also Aged person concession increased from 65 to 67  (just becos Pinky become 67 everyone else also kenna)  [whip]  

Damn free, collect money so easy , Maid wages keep going up n up (which I dont have any issue as wages in our other Asian countries also gone up)

Freeder, Mercs and Pohhenry praised this

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: STforum, point, Maid, levy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users