Australia: Must Dos in Sydney and Melbourne

JJ_JJ

Jamesc, would you be able to point me nice and economical hotels in Sydney?

Ibis - Darling habour

:D

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement

Try Arthur's Pizza at Ranwick, Sydney. Real Italian pizza!

Take a tour along the Great Ocean Road, breathtaking sights you will remember for life.

Sure bro. If I will to do so, I will back back here to post some nice pics to testify what u say. Thanks.

Try Arthur's Pizza at Ranwick, Sydney. Real Italian pizza!

In Mel, although lots of Italian pizzerias along Lygon St., a very good one is D.O.C at Faraday St. - also run by Italian family ... even pass orders in Italiano. Side specialties like buffalo mozzarella & proscuito ham / beers all imported direct.

If you are going to Philips island, the wild life open zoo i think it's fun where you can hand feed wallabies and kangaroo and also the go-kart race at philip island race track. so plan 2 day there would be just right.

Also forget about city shopping in Mel city ... its too touristy!

Just once maybe to places like The Block Arcade, Central Station etc.

Walk further down to Finders Lane - very bohemian shops (look upstairs too).

There is a fine-dining-rated Cumulus restaurant, owned by a SG chef partnership.

But for real shopping, go to where Melbournians flock to - Chapel St, Church St, North Bridge ... in fact the whole Prahran and Greville precincts.

There is a large high-quality antique / collectors' arcade at Prahan St - where I can spend hours.

And don't miss the Fitzroy area and connecting streets of small, individual shops.

Hungry - try Mario's and Shoo-Fly

As an alternative to the Yarra valley vineyards, try Mornington Peninsula. Excellent pinot noirs, beaten only by colder clime Tas and NZ. Plenty of natural spring spas there too.

For hot spring spas - none other than in Marysville. World renowned.

Edited by W210k

Where I'm coming from is this ... the shops in the city centre may be a boon to tourists from 3rd world countries - waaah! Prada, LV, Chanel etc. Would they even entice an SGean visitor?

Even Australian-brand shops like Country Roads and Sports Girl are no fun, as most/all their products are made in China [:(]

Chapel St is the fashionista's capital in Melbourne - lots of local labels, many made there too.

Pls allow your wife and teenage daughter (if you have any) at least 3-4 hours to roam the streets there, or they'll never get enough and will ask to come back. Not only are the labels never-seen-before (and girls like to explore and try each shop/label) the materials used, design, cutting are different from the brand labels they are used to in SG. More like cottage industry in limited quantity.

Even in Sydney, the fashion shops are really in Paddington, Oxford St. area.

Fancy a made in Oz printed t-shirt? At least A$60 yah. Not MIC for sure!

And while there, turn off into Surry Hills - very nice & classy restaurants there!

Hi fellows!

I am taking a trip to Sydney in Oct and probably crossing over to Melbourne during the course.

For those who have been to the above, do highlight the things, foods, places there are Must-Do over there.

Your opinions and suggestions are most valued, and thank you in advance!! :)

In melbourne, drive along the great ocean road! Very nice scenery. I have visited many countries but the view along the great ocean road is unforgettable.. :wub:

Go the the Crown casion too.

For Sydney, Watson bay also very nice.

Where I'm coming from is this ... the shops in the city centre may be a boon to tourists from 3rd world countries - waaah! Prada, LV, Chanel etc. Would they even entice an SGean visitor?

Even Australian-brand shops like Country Roads and Sports Girl are no fun, as most/all their products are made in China [:(]

Chapel St is the fashionista's capital in Melbourne - lots of local labels, many made there too.

Pls allow your wife and teenage daughter (if you have any) at least 3-4 hours to roam the streets there, or they'll never get enough and will ask to come back. Not only are the labels never-seen-before (and girls like to explore and try each shop/label) the materials used, design, cutting are different from the brand labels they are used to in SG. More like cottage industry in limited quantity.

Even in Sydney, the fashion shops are really in Paddington, Oxford St. area.

Fancy a made in Oz printed t-shirt? At least A$60 yah. Not MIC for sure!

And while there, turn off into Surry Hills - very nice & classy restaurants there!

Thanks for your effort to narrate bro.

In melbourne, drive along the great ocean road! Very nice scenery. I have visited many countries but the view along the great ocean road is unforgettable.. :wub:

Go the the Crown casion too.

For Sydney, Watson bay also very nice.

Thanks. From all the above, it looks like Melbourne has more things to offer as compared to Sydney.

like st kilda alot when I was in Melbourne. one of my fav store was a shop selling fresh seafood. They have grills which you could order their fresh catch and they grill it on the spot for you. Yummy.

Thanks. From all the above, it looks like Melbourne has more things to offer as compared to Sydney.

The main attraction in Sydney is the opera house and the bridge. I also like The Rocks area.

Wat we did 10 years ago was after visited Sydney, drove to Melcourne. It was very fun and along the journey you can stop by some small towns, stay over night.

Tat time still no GPS so need to use Map to navigate. It was really fun. [thumbsup]

Not true, if only you knew the not-so-touristy places in Sydney!

One area is Double Bay, by the coast enroute to Bondi.

Here are the bungalows of the rich and famous (a cross between Nassim for high class opulence villas & mansions and Sentosa Cove for the sea-fronting, breath taking views).

But it is the Double Bay shopping area that is to die for. No mega shopping malls. Rows of individual shops selling mostly European imports and local goods, bistros, good coffee joints, in a very relaxed setting (no huge Asian crowds) ... almost plucked out from the screen sets of Malibu and Orange County!

And if there is one quaint shopping area in Sydney (in spite of it being touristy) that can be better than what Melbourne has to offer - then it has to be The Rocks. The weekend market there is fantastic, matched only by Salamanca market in Tasmania (best weekend market in Oz, IMHO).

Neutral Newbie

things to do...go to Chapel Street in Melbourne...n have your coffee and cakes at Cafe Grecco...not sure whether this cafe still exists as it had been more than 10 yrs since I last stepped into Melbourne.

Hi fellows!

I am taking a trip to Sydney in Oct and probably crossing over to Melbourne during the course.

For those who have been to the above, do highlight the things, foods, places there are Must-Do over there.

Your opinions and suggestions are most valued, and thank you in advance!! :)

I can't help with Sydney, but I can give you something to do or somewhere to go in Melb everyday for at least 2 weeks. All will be must do's. What kind of things do you like doing or seeing, as well as how long will you be in Melb for? I can shortlist some things out for you.

Eat fresh prawns, oysters, scallops and other seafood.

If on budget sydney fish market,

if got money to burn, on a river cruise.

:D

↡ Advertisement