MMA in Straits Times today

Yr1985

Turbocharged
(edited)

Sosaria, did you see me fly at Tanglin? Hahahah.

Combat is different from practice.

Yet, if you know a bit about human anatomy, you would understand Ueshiba Akido is studied and sets up lethal attacks.

It's the practitioner and not Krav Maga or Shaolin 拳。

Understand that MMA guy versus the small Giant, the tiny guy could decide on maiming or lethal strike, not the other way around.

That is why Akido dun have competition, can get out of hand too easily.

This is true, girls tend to learn it easier than boys. They are so graceful.

P/s I find Taichi and Akido have many similarities, flowing continuous movements. The tenkan, irimi.

Favorite is kokyu nage, simple yet effective -- little lethality involved. That is if you are like me, try not to hurt people.

Edited by Datsun366
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Yet, if you know a bit about human anatomy, you would understand Ueshiba Akido is studied and sets up lethal attacks.

Understand that MMA guy versus the small Giant, the tiny guy could decide on maiming or lethal strike, not the other way around.

P/s I find Taichi and Akido have many similarities, flowing continuous movements. The tenkan, irimi.

Favorite is kokyu nage, simple yet effective -- little lethality involved. That is if you are like me, try not to hurt people.

No, never at Tanglin. Another place, long ago.

Agree, it's all down to the practitioner, like any sport or physical activity, some just have more talent and are more natural in it.

I'm not the graceful type, nor able to feel any of those meditative, 'energy' things [laugh], so decided it was not for me.

But I especially like the wrist and arm joint warm-ups, and how little bits of shift in weight and hold can suddenly lead to tapping the mat desperately [laugh] 

Edited by Sosaria

Hypersonic

in all honesty, i think if u are talking about street fighting, the most powerful person will be a heavy weight boxer.

Not MMA.

One punch from them to your body or your head without a helmet, and i think almost all of us would have passed out or vomit on the spot.

Wah!  Not many would know these terms outside of Aikido.   [laugh]

I tend to prefer irimi nage.  Don't waste time and smack the fella down.   [laugh]

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Contrary to all kungfu action movies or anime etc.

But they run the risk of fracturing their hand also.

Edited by Lala81

in all honesty, i think if u are talking about street fighting, the most powerful person will be a heavy weight boxer.

Not MMA.

One punch from them to your body or your head without a helmet, and i think almost all of us would have passed out or vomit on the spot.

That is where MMA training/practise comes in. Teaches you where to stand and how to react. And look at what to do at the down opponent.

If you know its a heavy weight boxer, definately have to avoid getting hit and go for the weak link. Get the legs, bring the fight to the ground and finish with a submission. Been watching too much MMA. [laugh]

Hypersonic

That is where MMA training/practise comes in. Teaches you where to stand and how to react. And look at what to do at the down opponent.

If you know its a heavy weight boxer, definately have to avoid getting hit and go for the weak link. Get the legs, bring the fight to the ground and finish with a submission. Been watching too much MMA. [laugh]

Yeah to fight a boxer, u either stand far away and shoot projectile or go in close so that his fists does lesser damage.

U stay at arm's length, u going to get murdered

In real life, won't have those fancy submissions lah. U either go for the balls or the eyes lol  [laugh]

Or the fella would have taken a knife and stabbed u liao.

Yeah to fight a boxer, u either stand far away and shoot projectile or go in close so that his fists does lesser damage.

U stay at arm's length, u going to get murdered

In real life, won't have those fancy submissions lah. U either go for the balls or the eyes lol  [laugh]

Or the fella would have taken a knife and stabbed u liao.

From 1:27 to 1:42.  Donnie almost gets knocked out by Mike Tyson while filming.  You can see the left hook and Donnie just manages to siam!

https://youtu.be/YEWVYBZAGgU

Twincharged

just saw a vid on youtube on a Vietnamese grandmaster ... big and stout guy ...

got show his internal qi - like most other vids where you touch him and you get pushed away invisibly ....

however his actual moves are very fast and precise ... and he practices with the wooden man a.k.a. yong chun wooden man.

Hypersonic
(edited)

From 1:27 to 1:42.  Donnie almost gets knocked out by Mike Tyson while filming.  You can see the left hook and Donnie just manages to siam!

https://youtu.be/YEWVYBZAGgU

yup. and this is a guy many years off his prime.

I think there's a video of this boxer Russian who fights off several thugs. Think got 2 such videos. He really destroyed them. 

One punch and these thugs are on the floor already.

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

I have being practicing my Qi Gong for yrs already. Whenever tension aries i just control my Qi and say im sorry. It works wonder especially on wife.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

One of the best fight scenes, very real and tough. Watch the whole series better !  In this scene, Lucas Hood , a gangster with a past taking up the identity of a cop and sheriff, he wants to arrest a rape suspect who is a boxing champion.  Watch how he overcome his mighty opponent. 

https://youtu.be/jqRPaucl8r4

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 1

you guys go search for MMA vs TaiChi

Damn jialat man!! 

what BS ehh rou zhi gang?  [laugh]

The chinese mma KO the taichi (suppose to be master) in 10 secs.

he gonna challenge another (suppose to be) kungfu  master next lol

• Praise 3

that taichi master stunned, I think he forgot his name also  [laugh]

you think shao lin abbot got chance?  [sweatdrop]

that taichi master stunned, I think he forgot his name also  [laugh]

you think shao lin abbot got chance?  [sweatdrop]

Twincharged

He should go vs the mma fighter and will be interesting to see who will win.. Haha

↡ Advertisement