Foldable bicycle

Sgspurs

Thinking of getting a foldable bike...for running errands nearby, exercise and perhaps in future commuting to work since my workplace is about 5km from my home.

Any recommendations ? Must be able to fold into very compact to store in house and car. Also one that can provide a comfortable ride.

Thanks !

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

diginexx selling foldies too.... i am thinking really hard too, whether to buy a foldie or a regular bike... for the foldie, i am looking at the MONTAGUE road/mountain bike versions... maybe we can go and buy together, dont know whether have discount then...:p

what's your budget ?? U need brand ?? I just brought a basic tern...SGD550...

http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/link-c7

My purpose is almost the same as you...So if you need just a little bit of brand...this will fit you...if you don't care about brand...just go to any giant and grab one...if you very looking into brand...bros here had already suggested...

i just bought one from ntuc aloca brand. i think no brand one. 400$ aluminium frame. quite light. use maybank family and friends csrd got 5% rebate

diginexx selling foldies too.... i am thinking really hard too, whether to buy a foldie or a regular bike... for the foldie, i am looking at the MONTAGUE road/mountain bike versions... maybe we can go and buy together, dont know whether have discount then...:p

any idea how much they are selling? the montague brand of bikes look interesting :D

i think it is from $1k to $3.5k, depending on models and type (road or mountain)...it has the price list inside the website. i am really tempted...

Neutral Newbie

MONTAGUE's bike are bulky and heavy. Good if you intend to do a little off-road. Otherwise, stick to the smaller wheels.

As mentioned, for compact and comfy, Brompton is good if you are ok with the price .... sold by Diginexx ... located opp Lavender Foodcourt [laugh] .

My purpose is almost the same as you...So if you need just a little bit of brand...this will fit you...if you don't care about brand...just go to any giant and grab one...if you very looking into brand...bros here had already suggested...

Where did u get your tern ?

I am really a newbie. I was looking at the pics in brompton and tern website. Seems like the brompton has small wheels that allow u to easily push when folded. Is it correct or all brands got as extras ?

Brompton is ex....whats the key difference ?

Also any difference between 16" and 20" ?

Montague looks really nice but seems more for hardcore and off road . will start with a smaller one first.

Neutral Newbie

Brompton.

1. Made in UK

2. Steel, so more comfort but need more TLC.

3. Compact fold and easy to wheel around.

4. Expensive ... But can get better price in HK.

Tern/Dahon

1. Made in Taiwan/China

2. Alu or steel

3. Not as compact fold, takes some practise to wheel it around.

4. Base model much cheaper than B, but high end model also v ex but v light too.

For relax ride, not much diff between 18 and 20 inch wheel size.

Foldable bike need to consider carefully when doing errands in public . Seat Post can easily be removed. If u gonna chain it it in public, need to consider locking up everything.

If gonna often chain up in public, get a cheap one will do.

For a guy, I dun see much value in the bike being substantially lighter in weight.

Thinking of getting a foldable bike...for running errands nearby, exercise and perhaps in future commuting to work since my workplace is about 5km from my home.

Any recommendations ? Must be able to fold into very compact to store in house and car. Also one that can provide a comfortable ride.

Thanks !

Ever saw a foldable bicycle with 26" wheels. More comfortable than those smaller wheels. [laugh]

just wait for Giant to have promotion on bicycles.

Get a cheap one. and lock it outside your door. No one will steal it.

With folding, can put inside car, but when your ride it to your destination....you worry people steal your seat or handle bar(if the bicycle is Bromtom or expensive one).

There are many $120 cheap folding bicycles at neighbourhood shops.

Turbocharged

Hi where to get tern bike.

Brompton.

1. Made in UK

2. Steel, so more comfort but need more TLC.

3. Compact fold and easy to wheel around.

4. Expensive ... But can get better price in HK.

Tern/Dahon

1. Made in Taiwan/China

2. Alu or steel

3. Not as compact fold, takes some practise to wheel it around.

4. Base model much cheaper than B, but high end model also v ex but v light too.

For relax ride, not much diff between 18 and 20 inch wheel size.

Even though HK is cheaper, u can't customise the color or spec u like. Most of the off-the-rack are single color whereby Diginexx has 2 colors (Top tube 1 color & Front fork/Rear Chain stay 1 color).

just wait for Giant to have promotion on bicycles.

Get a cheap one. and lock it outside your door. No one will steal it.

With folding, can put inside car, but when your ride it to your destination....you worry people steal your seat or handle bar(if the bicycle is Bromtom or expensive one).

There are many $120 cheap folding bicycles at neighbourhood shops.

haha there was a chinese program few days back abt bike theft in sing...infact most of the bikes are stolen by cutting the chain right outside the house/mrt/shopping centre....if expensive/nice bike better put indoors or dont leave it out of sight....sing not really a crime free place [:/]

↡ Advertisement