Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86

S7rik3R

I dropped by Subaru at TPY yesterday since I was in the area.

There were a couple of guys there looking but no SEs serving. I guess there are more gawkers than genuine buyers.

In flesh, the car was not visually striking but still pleasant to look at from the front. The rear is a bit awkward. The interior is pretty basic, nothing spectacular but some of the knobs just look pretty nasty. I think those are the air-con knobs. Rear space is definitely not good. Seats are comfortable enough.

What does the car in is really the price. At 183k; with a top-up for the manual box, one just expects a little bit more given the other cars in the 183k range. At 183k, nasty plasticky knobs that look like they came from a vios is not accceptable and the seats should be racing seats.

The only way they can shift this car is to allow for test drives cos the only thing that can make up for the above is a stinking good drive. Otherwise, there are so many other options.

Sigh. If the price were $140k or less, this car would make sense. Murdered by the COE prices and a Cat B engine.

At $180,000.

I guess only hardcore trackies will buy. N the occassional rich buyer.

Too expensive to enjoy the so called driving experience.

I rather get a mercs C180, and remove as much weight inside, remove seat n lining. To makes it as good as the BRZ weight.

Cheaper too.

u r comparing a family car with sport car.

85 weight is below 1200kg

u try remove 300++kg from c180? the whole world will laff @ u.

if u can tahan the laffing & u somehow manage to remove 300, ur car will not hv the handling of the 86.

Just came across the Subaru BRZ price release by Motor Image.

Subaru BRZ at $183,300

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_...p?CarCode=11142

But frankly speaking if Toyota GT86 price also around there, which brand will you guys take? Why ?

At this price, the are going against the entry level Lotus. Although Lotus could be harder to maintain.

There were a couple of guys there looking but no SEs serving. I guess there are more gawkers than genuine buyers.

In flesh, the car was not visually striking but still pleasant to look at from the front. The rear is a bit awkward. The interior is pretty basic, nothing spectacular but some of the knobs just look pretty nasty. I think those are the air-con knobs. Rear space is definitely not good. Seats are comfortable enough.

What does the car in is really the price. At 183k; with a top-up for the manual box, one just expects a little bit more given the other cars in the 183k range. At 183k, nasty plasticky knobs that look like they came from a vios is not accceptable and the seats should be racing seats.

The only way they can shift this car is to allow for test drives cos the only thing that can make up for the above is a stinking good drive. Otherwise, there are so many other options.

Sigh. If the price were $140k or less, this car would make sense. Murdered by the COE prices and a Cat B engine.

could not agree with you more. was at LK showroom ytd as well. it is true that this car does not give one heavy visual impact, it is way to tall for a sport coupe.... even the SE could not explain clearly on what make this model a seller, just keep on repeating that this is for driving pleasure by not outright performance car.... worst part is, no test drive allowed.......

at 120k (without coe), not even a performance brake were provided..... the stock tire is with michelin primacy HP.....

one thing does attract attention though, its ultra flat torque curve, from 3k till 6.5k rpm which hovering around the 200nm, probably would make a huge driving sensation, well, nvr tested will not know it..... another nice feature is the frame less door frame, which unlike the previous frameless subaru, the glass window will auto lock-in to the upper roof panel to reduce the flimsiness of the glass panel as well as noise.

Y manual need to pay more??? Rubbish sia

coz most singaporeans prefer auto. so they never stock up.

need to indent

Very good observation. My take is unless the Auto gear is a DSG type variant, it's better off to go with the manual trans. Also it's disappointing that the SGP version is not turbo charged. I think the GT86 is super charged.

Apart from that I expect this to still be a pretty fast car.

Very good observation. My take is unless the Auto gear is a DSG type variant, it's better off to go with the manual trans. Also it's disappointing that the SGP version is not turbo charged. I think the GT86 is super charged.

Apart from that I expect this to still be a pretty fast car.

y after so long ppl still think the car is turbocharged.... :wacko:

Turbocharged

Anyone here has the special privilege to test drive this car care to provide a review?

This car should be in the $120,000 region in order to sell.

Let's see how much the PI will be selling it soon.

Then it will be cheaper than the Honda Civic and Toyota Altis leow lor. Frankly, it's price is right and it is expensive not because of the car. It is the COE that raises its price. :wacko:

y after so long ppl still think the car is turbocharged.... :wacko:

Initially it was only NA, but later on they decided to do it sometime soon.

http://www.mycarforum.com/blog/myautoblog/...-now-confirmed/

I was viewing some track tests on the car, feel that for it's horsepower / torque and weight rating, it's a rather slow car. Maybe turbo charging will bring out its powers better.

I was viewing some track tests on the car, feel that for it's horsepower / torque and weight rating, it's a rather slow car. Maybe turbo charging will bring out its powers better.

For you, what is the optimum power/weight ratio or torque/weight ratio for street legal car?

this might be a more recent report which they have dismissed the turbocharging route..

http://www.worldcarfans.com/112032842856/s...-drive---report

Neutral Newbie

coz most singaporeans prefer auto. so they never stock up.

need to indent

Still don't understand the pricing part. An autobox usually cost more than a manual. It is heavier and it is more complex. Agent playing with figures? Or are you paying for the "indention fee"?

(edited)

Still don't understand the pricing part. An autobox usually cost more than a manual. It is heavier and it is more complex. Agent playing with figures? Or are you paying for the "indention fee"?

"indenting fee" [rolleyes]

Edited by Mllcg
↡ Advertisement