Accident involving SMRT Buses

Kt2u

Well, shift down low gear ratio to engine braking forcing slow down is my re-actions [:)]

At the same time please read my post #90 :o

Engine braking works only if the accelerator is released.

In this case, even at lower gear, the vehicle will still be pushing forward with speed increasing.

Only way is to drop to neutral to stop any transmission of power.

On NSH, I can drag my 3rd gear till 100km/h before pulling to 4th gear after clearing the poll plaza.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Engine braking works only if the accelerator is released.

In this case, even at lower gear, the vehicle will still be pushing forward with speed increasing.

Only way is to drop to neutral to stop any transmission of power.

On NSH, I can drag my 3rd gear till 100km/h before pulling to 4th gear after clearing the poll plaza.

Yes. If the gas pedal is stuck, the vehicle will still accelerate till redline and stay there.

If one attempts to drop a gear, the safety mechanism will not allow that cos it will cause an over-rev.

So yes, I also agree that one should flick to neutral instead.

The official version

Spokesman for SMRT quits 5 months into job

Comms chief who dealt with several train delays won

Twincharged

The official version

Spokesman for SMRT quits 5 months into job

Comms chief who dealt with several train delays won

Just heard from channel 8 news that TP is now appealing for witness informations to nap the black car & Red MB C200 CGI drivers [thumbsup]

The black car driver and the red MB C200 CGI driver shall be kissing their driving licence "Good Bye [wave] " very soon.

ello u come from which planet...wrong thread lah.... [laugh] [laugh]

Red Merc maybe still have chance to keep license. The black car, high chance kiss goodbye.

Red Merc offence.

Driving without due care or reasonable consideration for other road users - 9 points.

So not as serious as the black car. :D :D

eh joker...u another one...worng threa lah

Sorry my fault. Give me 1 yellow card. I will learn my lesson.

pls lah...i not that draconian....this no warrant one.....but if u insist [laugh] [laugh]

members who have proved their mettle here, we give benefit of doubt lah...considering u hv contributed here and activley so...so no issue!

as for newbies, and the reborns.....ahem..... [laugh]

jk

Turbocharged

The Spain train crash on Wed 24 Jul - the cops in Spain already charged the driver for 'negligent homicide"

Our Dairy Farm Rd bus crash happened on Sun 21 Jul 13 - did I miss any news? No findings yet?

(edited)

The Spain train crash on Wed 24 Jul - the cops in Spain already charged the driver for 'negligent homicide"

Our Dairy Farm Rd bus crash happened on Sun 21 Jul 13 - did I miss any news? No findings yet?

Yeah I am also waiting to know the outcome of the investigation... With physical evidence, driver in custody and video evidence, it shouldn't take so long with our best brains genius investigators what...

Since Driver Tiong says bus went crazy and SMRT says bus has clean bill of health, somebody is going to be proved wrong... I guess the problem is that if they say it is Ah Tiong's fault, SMRT will kena for hiring so many PRC drivers without giving them adequate training in local driving standards... If say bus faulty... SMRT also kena... worse still if the maintenance also done by Da Tiong and Xiao Tiong...

Solving this is a huge PR issue that is going to take longer than a straightforward investigation.

If the driver was our local Ah Tan instead then it would be...

gsj9.jpg

Edited by Brx

INGAPORE: An SMRT bus driver accused of rash driving, causing the death of one passenger and injuring another has been acquitted.

Zhang Kun, 43, had lost control of bus service number 700A as he was negotiating a sharp bend along the slip road of Bukit Timah Expressway into Dairy Farm Road. This happened on Jul 21, 2013 at about 8.50am. The vehicle veered across two lanes before crashing into a barrier and toppling over.

The prosecution argued that Zhang had been travelling 6km/h over the 50km/h speed limit as he entered the slip road, and as fast as 78km/h just before he lost control of the bus.

The crash killed 18-year-old Sasikumar Gunasakaran and injured 52-year-old Ramanand Panday A Panday. They were Zhang’s only passengers at the time.

On Tuesday (Jan 17), District Judge Michelle Yap acquitted Zhang of two charges, saying she was “not satisfied” the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt for three reasons.

First, the prosecution had not “sufficiently proven” that Zhang was travelling at a speed of at least 56km/h when he entered the slip road, said the judge, pointing to unreliable and irregular data recorded by the bus’ black box.

DJ Yap also refused to accept “highly speculative and contrived” data attempting to pinpoint the speed of the bus at specific points - when it collided into the barrier for example - put forward by the prosecution. She said the method used to come up with the data “involved a lot of guessing and estimation”.

PROSECUTION’S WITNESS NOT CREDIBLE

Zhang had argued in his defence that the bus had been faulty. He said he experienced brake problems and “engine runaway”, which caused the bus to accelerate on its own.

The prosecution’s expert witness, STA Inspection's Tan Jiat Shee, said he found an air leak in one of the bus’ air pipes which could have affected brake efficiency. However, he claimed he was unable to conduct a break efficiency test on the bus due to the damage it had sustained in the crash.

When it emerged that SMRT staff had successfully conducted the test - which showed no problems with the brakes - Mr Tan’s credibility as an expert witness was “seriously undermined”, DJ Yap said.

However, DJ Yap “gave no weight” to SMRT’s brake test result, seeing as it was conducted by a non-independent party. "This is important because SMRT is an interested party to the case,” she said, adding that it was “troubling” that SMRT staff had “unsupervised access to the bus … there was a break in the chain of custody over crucial evidence."

The District Judge also took issue with the fact that the defence had no chance to examine the bus before its disposal, and had to rely on the findings of the prosecution’s expert witness to conduct Zhang’s defence.

She pointed out the bus had been returned to SMRT, which dismantled some parts of the bus, even before Zhang was charged in court in December 2016 - six months after the accident.

DJ Yap criticised the investigating officer in the case for “wrongfully releasing” the bus to SMRT in breach of the Criminal Procedure Code, which states that even the court cannot order a disposal of property if there is any pending court proceeding in relation to the property.

“The accused was unable to conduct his own inspection of the bus to determine if there was any mechanical fault. Any doubt in this regard should be ruled in the accused’s favour,” DJ Yap said, noting that Zhang’s inability to examine the bus had “disadvantaged him in the conduct of his defence”.

zzzz. Our men in blue are really lousy these days. Simple investigation also can screw up. Think we need to create a thread for them already. Off the top of my head:

1. phone charger don't know how to buy from ebay/taobao. take 2 years to crack the case

2. Rape case take semen sample from wrong seat in the car

• Praise 1

zzzz. Our men in blue are really lousy these days. Simple investigation also can screw up. Think we need to create a thread for them already. Off the top of my head:

1. phone charger don't know how to buy from ebay/taobao. take 2 years to crack the case

2. Rape case take semen sample from wrong seat in the car

I'm glad that our judges didn't just close one eye and anyhow allow the prosecution to have it's day.

I'm glad that our judges didn't just close one eye and anyhow allow the prosecution to have it's day.

tho i agree with this...  

I'm upset the bus driver who caused a life .. is innocent due to screw up/ambiguity 

• Praise 1

tho i agree with this...  

I'm upset the bus driver who caused a life .. is innocent due to screw up/ambiguity 

i dunno man. Yeah it sucks.

Do brakes fail easily on these big vehicles?

The pioneer case they also claim brake failure.

↡ Advertisement