Accident involving SMRT Buses

Kt2u

oh just to elaborate, the car in front of me was slow to clear because he stopped abruptly for a pedestrian. So i was effectively "stuck" in the yellow box, though i thought there's still enough space in lane 3 to clear. maybe a bus needed more space :S

↡ Advertisement

oh just to elaborate, the car in front of me was slow to clear because he stopped abruptly for a pedestrian. So i was effectively "stuck" in the yellow box, though i thought there's still enough space in lane 3 to clear. maybe a bus needed more space :S

Twice I was 'trapped' in the same yellow box at Jurong East when the car in front also doing rigth turn decided to stop for a break inside the yellow box (he stopped for the sake of stopping?). My car then became like sitting duck, blocking Lane 1 and Lane 2 [sweatdrop]

If you stop, and the bus move and buaya you. Go and claim the bloody bus lah. Doesn't matter you in yellow box a not. It is the failure in judgement of the bus driver that cause this. Not you leh. Judging from the damage, I believe the bus didn't stop after buaya you right? The damage quite a long stretch, how can it be your fault? If you hit the bloody bus, you should dent in a small portion of it.

Moral of the story, if you didn't move, don't claim you are at fault.

Well, I didn't admit fault at the scene as the insurance SOP is never to assume liability until investigations are completed. I said probably mine as I didn't want to get flamed for being in the yellow box. Thanks for the advice as I do think the bus driver has to shoulder the blame as he stopped quite a distance after the impact (20m or so, took pictures to prove), but I can't be sure if he was speeding. I for sure wasn't moving as I wasn't going to try my luck with the bus!

Neutral Newbie

just to verify, so there is no way that SMRT will agree to a private settlement in such a case, even if you are willing to pay them the same sum of money that your own insurer will pay them?

it seems that the NCD and premium are genuine concerns that may skyrocket if the claim is huge, might be more practical to pay cash for the time being just to settle the existing problem.

Well, I didn't admit fault at the scene as the insurance SOP is never to assume liability until investigations are completed. I said probably mine as I didn't want to get flamed for being in the yellow box. Thanks for the advice as I do think the bus driver has to shoulder the blame as he stopped quite a distance after the impact (20m or so, took pictures to prove), but I can't be sure if he was speeding. I for sure wasn't moving as I wasn't going to try my luck with the bus!

Don't assume liability, just say you didn't move, the bus drive out, misjudge and buaya you. If you ask me, you are not wrong.

I was stationary. What happened was I followed the car in front too closely doing the right turn but he was too slow, so I couldn't clear and had to stop and wait for the straight going bus to clear. What was strange was that he did not hit me with his front but grazed my front with his side. So I suspect he was swerving or changing lanes within the yellow box.

Ya, now it's the bus' fault. You should be claiming the bus company's insurance instead. It was the bus that side swiped you; not the other way round.

Although, theoretically you shouldn't be in the yellow box, you were stationary and the bus misjudged its size and swiped you.

Even if the bus insurance refuses to assume 100% liability, you should be getting at most 40% of the blame (should be less). Thing is, it's your word against his because you have no video evidence.

bottom line............

claim from bus co insurance. He misjudged his bus positioning and hit a stationary car. End of the story.

All the best to you...........

if u stationary and the bus still hit u then its his fault. doesnt matter how far u stop. the bus failed in its judgement.

claim!! hope its AT driver. at least u helped to remove one :)

You may be in the yellow box before the bus moved out. So it is an offence to remain in the yellow box that's all.

You are in the yellow box and that that not mean that the bus have the right of way to "knock" or "nudge" anything in his way.

There is an action from the bus to move out, so it is the bus fault.

Most if not all of SMRT buses are armed with video recorders now. So the video footage may help BUT it depends if the bus co. is willing to use it.

Was your car stationary in the yellow box? If so, and u can prove it, may not be 100% your fault.

Then again, must be considerate lah.

You may be aware that it is an offence to stop inside the yellow box. So not so easy to defend against accident claims

Thanks all for your comments and advice. I will seek compensation from the bus co. Insurance through my insurance.

While I feel sorry for the driver from China who just got his license in Feb, I feel more sorry for my twisted bonnet. Thankfully no one was hurt in the accident. Hope my story reminds everyone to practice defensive driving, especially against large vehicles. Guess I'm lucky this time to escape with no injuries.

People make mistakes thats why it is call "driving"....

Today I witnessed a very close shave for a bike & taxi..

Wifey & I have disagreement on who is at fault if hit...

I told her that I support the cabby as while U-Turn, how can the bike turn side by side with him.

The cabby had took a wider lane almost hitting the bike but it is the biker that position himself to be hit...

She still feels that biker is correct....

Then I said to her, rememeber last week while at X junction...

I was following a cabby and Right Turn arrow was on...

Both of us "high" speed driving towards the junction & SUDDENLY, cabby came to a complete stop!

He didnt notice it was still green arrow.....

I did blast my horn but stop after 1 sec....

Wifey was &(*&^^*&*(&*^/.....

If I am not alert, I was jam into him...

Then who's fault???

Life still goes on right? Part & Parcel la...

Let us hope less repeat cases. Whose fault can be secondary

I was stationary. What happened was I followed the car in front too closely doing the right turn but he was too slow, so I couldn't clear and had to stop and wait for the straight going bus to clear. What was strange was that he did not hit me with his front but grazed my front with his side. So I suspect he was swerving or changing lanes within the yellow box.

I believe you need a good lawyer for legal assistance

If you stop, and the bus move and buaya you. Go and claim the bloody bus lah. Doesn't matter you in yellow box a not. It is the failure in judgement of the bus driver that cause this. Not you leh. Judging from the damage, I believe the bus didn't stop after buaya you right? The damage quite a long stretch, how can it be your fault? If you hit the bloody bus, you should dent in a small portion of it.

Moral of the story, if you didn't move, don't claim you are at fault.

I like the way you put it.

A sketch to illustrate the accident scene would be clearer for us. Base don your latest info, the bus driver could be 100% at fault instead. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement