Private nursing home recommendations

Littleknown

Hypersonic

The nurse from Nursing Home Foundation stays at the next block from ours. So she planned my mum's visit as her last stop for the day. Thus she always visits my mum at ard 4 to 5pm.

The nurse check the standard stuff, bp, pulse and change of feeding tube. Pretty much standard checks. She told us not to call her in case of emergency even thou she stay next blk. Have to call our own private preferred doctor.

Nothing fancy. In fact, for changing of feeding tube, Nursing Home Foundation charges are higher than MW Medical. Thatz why I prefer MW Medical whenever my mum pulls out her own feeding tube. We are paying full rate to both organisations.

There's a constant demand for HNF since they offer subsidised care. I'm surprised they allow full paying patients to get on. 

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

The nurse from Nursing Home Foundation stays at the next block from ours. So she planned my mum's visit as her last stop for the day. Thus she always visits my mum at ard 4 to 5pm.

The nurse check the standard stuff, bp, pulse and change of feeding tube. Pretty much standard checks. She told us not to call her in case of emergency even thou she stay next blk. Have to call our own private preferred doctor.

Nothing fancy. In fact, for changing of feeding tube, Nursing Home Foundation charges are higher than MW Medical. Thatz why I prefer MW Medical whenever my mum pulls out her own feeding tube. We are paying full rate to both organisations.

The feeding tube uncomfortable? Is that why your mum is always pulling it out?

The feeding tube uncomfortable? Is that why your mum is always pulling it out?

Yes. Feeding tube is never comfortable. She has been trying to pull it out from day one. In hospital, they would make her wear a mitten and tie her hands to the bed frame.

At home, we don't tie her hands. Just mitten only.

Twincharged

Yes. Feeding tube is never comfortable. She has been trying to pull it out from day one. In hospital, they would make her wear a mitten and tie her hands to the bed frame.

i once had a draining tube to remove blood from my lungs ... it was put through my nose ... and believe me it is very uncomfortable, you can feel it inside you even when you turn your head.

i dunno where they put the feeding tube but i believe it about the same.

Supercharged

thanks for the explanation ...

i really don't know what my dad wants right now ... but luckily he managed to get warded last night at the hospital again. at least we can now "regroup" and plan what we can do.

he is not eating as he says no appetite as the food tastes "bland" ??  my mom spends hours braising meat for him and he still complains.

all he wants now is to just remain lying in bed for the rest of his time ...  :a-bang:

i do not have experience with them...just sharing

http://www.activeglobalcaregiver.sg/

• Praise 1

Very confused abt the options avail for terminal patients (not old folks/ community care but end stage patients)

There are Home care services, and there are Nursing home (are they different from hospice; like Dover, Assisi, Bright Vision.. )?

Very confused abt the options avail for terminal patients (not old folks/ community care but end stage patients)

There are Home care services, and there are Nursing home (are they different from hospice; like Dover, Assisi, Bright Vision.. )?

nursing home not for last stage terminal people, could be a place for recovery where no one at home taking care of them.

If terminal illness, best is stay at home. Opt for home care services.

If you watched the mediacorp documentary, can see most ppl would like to pass away in their own home. Can watch it at toggle catch up tv here : https://video.toggle.sg/en/video/series/death-is-our-business-hd/ep1/385338

Hypersonic

There's inpatient and outpatient palliative services. Most hospices offer both.

The care coordinator for the palliative teams in hospitals should have more information.

Turbocharged

What? They tie her hands? Which freaking prison hospital is that? :a-noway:

Ya. Tie her hands to the hospital bed. Otherwise she will pull out the feeding tube. Putting in the feeding tube is more painful. Its a no choice situation.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Ya. Tie her hands to the hospital bed. Otherwise she will pull out the feeding tube. Putting in the feeding tube is more painful. Its a no choice situation.

There must be a better way to feed a person. Growing old is a scary matter.

Not only hospital, nursing home, and even home care service personnel usual would advice the family members of patient to do the same, as re-inserting the tube would not only be painful, but post a risk of injuring the respiratory track, throat, stomach lining, abdominal wall and such. And once that occurred, infection may resulted in other medical complication.

It is painful the very first time when seeing your loved on having a feeding tube inserted through the nose, and even more painful to see his/her hand get tied, BUT once you see the pain the patient is going through during a re-insertion, you will wish it happen just once and never again... :TT_TT:  

• Praise 7

Unfortunately, no other way out. Drip is only for keeping the patient hydrated, and for body to get nutrients, tube feeding is the only method.

What we can do now is to build up our body resistance, through healthier diet, exercise and of course maintaining a healthy lifestyle (sufficient sleep, proper anger management, leading a lesser stressed life, etc.). I know it is easier say than done, but we have to start somewhere and do it somehow, if we want to reduce the chances of falling seriously ill at old age.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Not only hospital, nursing home, and even home care service personnel usual would advice the family members of patient to do the same, as re-inserting the tube would not only be painful, but post a risk of injuring the respiratory track, throat, stomach lining, abdominal wall and such. And once that occurred, infection may resulted in other medical complication.

It is painful the very first time when seeing your loved on having a feeding tube inserted through the nose, and even more painful to see his/her hand get tied, BUT once you see the pain the patient is going through during a re-insertion, you will wish it happen just once and never again... :TT_TT:  

That's true but I certainly hope the person having the tube in them understands the pain to do it again.

Problem is, I wonder how often a medical staff that is doing the procedure takes the time and empathy to explain it.

(edited)

That's true but I certainly hope the person having the tube in them understands the pain to do it again.

Problem is, I wonder how often a medical staff that is doing the procedure takes the time and empathy to explain it.

Imagine this, if you have a foreign object in your throat (discomfort), the instinct is to try to get that object out, even though it is going to be painful. And for many patients, the tube was inserted when they are admitted due to medical emergency (and likely under sedation), so they might not know the amount of pain they would have experienced.

For some others (patients), they may have loss their ability to think (short term such as due to stroke, or long term such as dementia, permanent damage to brain), and they will just act according to how they feel, and no amount of explanation from the medical professional or family member can help.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 7

Twincharged

ppl who have never been through such a situation will never know or understand.

bystanders will always think its inhuman or a rough way to treat another human being ... I would have too.

Unfortunately, no other way out. Drip is only for keeping the patient hydrated, and for body to get nutrients, tube feeding is the only method.

but this sodium solution for the drip is damn potent !!

when I was hospitalized for 5 days, I did not eat or drink and all I had was the drip for the whole 5 days ! (only taking a little bit of water when taking my meds.) dun feel thirsty or hungry also.

you can only see this in VIP ward, normal ward where got time to explain so much   [laugh]  [laugh]

even in private hospital up north, patients usually get scolding from nurse or doctor   [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement