Territorial claims in South China Sea

Ahtong

Supersonic

Heard today 5pm, verdict will be out, reg the allegations put forward by the Philippine.

• Praise 2

Heard today 5pm, verdict will be out, reg the allegations put forward by the Philippine.

the verdict dun have much meaning or effect on the situation

now all the party is talking the talk ( all talk very tough).

when the times come, must see who is willing to walk the walk , 

i thin we will still be around to witness it

China already say that they will ignore the verdict when it was put up for arbitration without it's "blessing"

58039969.jpg

Hague's verdict south china sea.

I think China will ignore what the verdict says.

• Praise 1

What happen if verdick is in CN's favour? [laugh]

then the verdick becomes more expansive and muscular and full blooded  [scholar]

• Praise 8

Singapore wants to remain neutral in this dispute.

FM Vivian say we are impartial to any verdict passed down.

We are in a delicate situation. Theoretically, we should unify with Asean countries on most matters but then again it's superpower China on the opposing side so caught in between. But is being neutral the answer cos it casts us as being of no backbone and may antagonize our Asean neighbours.

I'm of the opinion we should show unity with Asean countries unless the argument or dispute is obviously flawed which in most cases, Singapore will not be the only one backing out. That said, this is a territorial dispute which can be argued as not an Asean dispute per se. 

• Praise 8

I don't know what the fuss is all about.

The South China Sea belongs to the

South China Club.

:D

adb02.png

• Praise 2

Singapore wants to remain neutral in this dispute.

FM Vivian say we are impartial to any verdict passed down.

We are in a delicate situation. Theoretically, we should unify with Asean countries on most matters but then again it's superpower China on the opposing side so caught in between. But is being neutral the answer cos it casts us as being of no backbone and may antagonize our Asean neighbours.

I'm of the opinion we should show unity with Asean countries unless the argument or dispute is obviously flawed which in most cases, Singapore will not be the only one backing out. That said, this is a territorial dispute which can be argued as not an Asean dispute per se. 

ya asean is not unify in this issue, country with no claim refuse to commit to a whole asean statement to oppose china act in s.c sea.

malaysia is 1 of them i think .

but we cannot blame or flame also.

malaysia for 1 is depending rmb to bail them out, if those country with no claim is drag in,

wat compensation the rest of asean going to give them?

• Praise 1

Guys guys guys.......... There is a reason why the area in dispute is not called

West Phillipines Sea

East Malaysia Sea

East Vietnam Sea

North Brunei Sea

North Indonesia Sea

law_of_sea_china_fig2.jpg

• Praise 3

ya asean is not unify in this issue, country with no claim refuse to commit to a whole asean statement to oppose china act in s.c sea.

malaysia is 1 of them i think .

but we cannot blame or flame also.

malaysia for 1 is depending rmb to bail them out, if those country with no claim is drag in,

wat compensation the rest of asean going to give them?

Think problem is not Malaysia.

Anyway repored that Cambodia and Laos are the ghost.

Now Thailand also getting closer and closer to prc.. buying submarines from them.

Guys guys guys.......... There is a reason why the area in dispute is not called

West Phillipines Sea

East Malaysia Sea

East Vietnam Sea

North Brunei Sea

North Indonesia Sea

law_of_sea_china_fig2.jpg

its call south china sea only because china have much longer history then the rest of asia, and explore trade with asia much early.

but i dun think history will play any part into the outcome

every thing is about whos fist is harder.

and how the money is split (money from the oil n gas)

if china able to push western forces out , and negotiate a win win deal with those country with claims

maybe the situation will settle down (which is the last thing the western wanted )

if not maybe they will be alot of blood in that area to come.

Who has in-depth knowledge of the history behind China's claims?

I remember hearing something like long time ago, many islands in that region belong to China, but of course during WW2, Nippon took them all when conquering south-west-ward.

Then after Japs surrendered, US or UN kind of allocated them to be no longer under China. And when China was so poor and engrossed in its domestic issues from WW2 up to the 80s, they didn't make noise; then only when China emerges as a big player, they finally stood up to the 'unfair removal of its sovereign land'...

Not sure whether this is true... Anyone can verify?

Supersonic

its call south china sea only because china have much longer history then the rest of asia, and explore trade with asia much early.

but i dun think history will play any part into the outcome

every thing is about whos fist is harder.

and how the money is split (money from the oil n gas)

if china able to push western forces out , and negotiate a win win deal with those country with claims

maybe the situation will settle down (which is the last thing the western wanted )

if not maybe they will be alot of blood in that area to come.

On Bbc, report that CN calls the case illegal n will treat the verdict as waste-paper.

Journa went on to say that CN was slow to build islands n stake claims when others did as CN was too caught up with their cultural revo. By the time they open, the formal lines were already drawn.

Under SG position, imo, SG will give a low profile congrat if CN win. If CN lose, i believe will b no sound no pic from us.

Supersonic

China want to claim everyhing.

Why would they care what UN says?

The only way is to go to war.

Honestly i rather see these conflicts dragged on. Everybody fights & everything come in a standstill. Once territory has been confirmed, you'll see many deep sea oil rigs in operation. And who knows is there will be an accident or 2 which will start to pollute the waters. 

10 yrs ago I was in US driving down highway one & can view very nice picturesque view of the clear sky & sea. 10 yrs later i went back again. From afar I see 4 ~ 5 deep sea oil rigs in the sea, which really spoils everything. And who knows how much pollution has already impacted the nature.

From economy stand point is good & will benefit greedy corporations & ppl. From Nature stand point it's really a disaster in waiting. And the ppls who will suffer will be our future generations.

Supersonic
(edited)

PH already put up 1 hand to surrender by saying that they are willing to negotiate and share with China even if they win.

Anyway, this world has always been following the rule where might makes right.... Why bother with some toothless tribunal?

Edited by Kusje
↡ Advertisement