Car rental in Singapore

Lovethecars

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a car for 6 months. Any recommendations for a affordable car rental co.?

Take note to make sure the co. is legal car rental. The road tax disc must printed as "motorcar", not printed as "private (passenger)". If illegal rental, wil hav prob claim insurance when car accident.

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a car for 6 months. Any recommendations for a affordable car rental co.?

You can also go to gumtree to look for those direct owners who rent their vehicles. They may be able to offer you a good deal.

Take note to make sure the co. is legal car rental. The road tax disc must printed as "motorcar", not printed as "private (passenger)". If illegal rental, wil hav prob claim insurance when car accident.

does it really matter? Because i think some car rental also never put the 'motorcar' roadtax.

does it really matter? Because i think some car rental also never put the 'motorcar' roadtax.

Quite a few rental companies rent out illegally on behalf of car owners or for some other reason, do not convert the car to a proper rental car.

Yes, it does matter, because you can get into trouble and even be disqualified if you're stopped or checked for any reason or get involved in an accident and the car isn't a legitimate private hire car.

If there's no road tax disc, you can use the LTA link below to check on the spot. The vehicle scheme should be R10 - R10 - Private Hire (Self-Drive) Motor Car OR R11 - Private Hire (Self-Drive) Station Wagon/Jeep/Land Rover. If it's anything like "Passenger (Private)" or "Passenger (Company)", it isn't legal for rental.

https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=EnquireTransferFee

• Praise 1

Quite a few rental companies rent out illegally on behalf of car owners or for some other reason, do not convert the car to a proper rental car.

Yes, it does matter, because you can get into trouble and even be disqualified if you're stopped or checked for any reason or get involved in an accident and the car isn't a legitimate private hire car.

If there's no road tax disc, you can use the LTA link below to check on the spot. The vehicle scheme should be R10 - R10 - Private Hire (Self-Drive) Motor Car OR R11 - Private Hire (Self-Drive) Station Wagon/Jeep/Land Rover. If it's anything like "Passenger (Private)" or "Passenger (Company)", it isn't legal for rental.

wow! Thanks Bicolor! Didn't know about this. But if the vehicle is under R10 - R10 Private Hire but didn't display the motorcar roadtax, Would it be a problem?

wow! Thanks Bicolor! Didn't know about this. But if the vehicle is under R10 - R10 Private Hire but didn't display the motorcar roadtax, Would it be a problem?

Sometimes the company just renewed the road tax and forgot to display it, or has not received the new disc. In any case the responsibility will lie with the company, not the hirer. The vehicle owner (in this case, the company) has up to 14 days to display the new road tax disc.

The same LTA link will also allow you to check if the road tax is valid and renewed or expired. Good to check all these things before driving off. I had one incident where the road tax was expired but the company insisted that they renewed it and were just waiting for the new road tax disc. That's pure nonsense, as the info is updated the moment the road tax is renewed. Likewise, if the car is stated as "Passenger (Private)" but they tell you that they have in-principle approval from LTA to rent out while waiting for the conversion to take place, that's rubbish too. The conversion to rental car is done instantly at LTA and the change is also reflected on the One Motoring link instantly.

Sometimes the company just renewed the road tax and forgot to display it, or has not received the new disc. In any case the responsibility will lie with the company, not the hirer. The vehicle owner (in this case, the company) has up to 14 days to display the new road tax disc.

The same LTA link will also allow you to check if the road tax is valid and renewed or expired. Good to check all these things before driving off. I had one incident where the road tax was expired but the company insisted that they renewed it and were just waiting for the new road tax disc. That's pure nonsense, as the info is updated the moment the road tax is renewed. Likewise, if the car is stated as "Passenger (Private)" but they tell you that they have in-principle approval from LTA to rent out while waiting for the conversion to take place, that's rubbish too. The conversion to rental car is done instantly at LTA and the change is also reflected on the One Motoring link instantly.

okok! thanks a million!

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Has anyone rental from urban motors Car rental pte ltd?

Though their rental is low but they did not maintain their car.

Rented their BMW 523i recently and when I went to get the car, the exterior was filthy and filled with leaves and branches (Boss even claimed that the car is well maintained)

When I open the car door, the interior (though maintained cleanly), its filled with cigarette smell. I asked 'isn't this a non-smoker car?' and what I got from the staff reply is 'its like that'

Since this thread is about proper rental car, I noticed that their tax disc is labelled 'Private (passenger car)' and not motorcar.

Just checked the website and the BMW is under passenger motorcar, is there such category?

Edited by Oakleykoh

Rented their BMW 523i recently and when I went to get the car, the exterior was filthy and filled with leaves and branches (Boss even claimed that the car is well maintained)

When I open the car door, the interior (though maintained cleanly), its filled with cigarette smell. I asked 'isn't this a non-smoker car?' and what I got from the staff reply is 'its like that'

Since this thread is about proper rental car, I noticed that their tax disc is labelled 'Private (passenger car)' and not motorcar.

Just checked the website and the BMW is under passenger motorcar, is there such category?

I have no experience with this company, and so can't comment.

However, the tax disc being labelled Passenger (Private) and the "passenger motorcar" classification on the LTA page shows that the BMW you rented is not a properly converted rental car and thus should not be rented out. Passenger motorcar basically means a privately owned car, owned by an individual and not a company.

Refer to the attached screenshot, this is what you will see on the LTA "enquire transfer fee" page. The one on the left shows a typical private owner car which isn't allowed to be rented out, while the one on the right is a legitimate rental (private hire - self drive) car.

post-25491-0-73373600-1430803464_thumb.jpg

Singapore car rental industry almost is the worst on the world, I have 10 over countries rent car experience, include southeast Asia, china, Taiwan, euro, Aus/NZ, USA, Mideast, north Africa... etc

even if I had only once experience in Singapore (rented BMW X3 3 days), but it's the worst experienced as,

1. surely interior cigarette smell,

2. definitely filthy, especially interior, water bottles, tissues, cigarette butts, ash etc, looks like coffee or vomited marks on seats surface,

3. Dash board alarm lights faulty, e.g.. Tyer Pressure light on, Engine malfunction light on...

4. Fuel tank empty light on, one pick the car, have to fill fuel immediately,

5. Of course price is the most expensive on the world, and have to pay in advance, most other countries to pay when return,

Supersonic

Quite true, car rental rates in sg really very expensive. And some cars condition are usually not very good and the car is old.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Some used car dealers have leasing subsidiaries and simply rent out their unsold cars, some left < 1 yr to scrap.

Cheapest I saw was a Perodua Kelisa 1.0M @ $880 / mth for one yr lease contract.

Edited by Vinceng

(edited)

Quite true, car rental rates in sg really very expensive. And some cars condition are usually not very good and the car is old.

In this type of COE climate, not surprised to see most rental companies with old cars out there. Imagine a company has a fleet of 60 cars under them, all with COE ending around 2016~2017. To scrap and buy new one shot very shiong.

I doubt they get discount off COE just to replace 50 odd cars at 1 go.

Was thinking if this continues, does it mean many car rental companies will fold after 2017?

Some used car dealers have leasing subsidiaries and simply rent out their unsold cars, some left < 1 yr to scrap.

Cheapest I saw was a Perodua Kelisa 1.0M @ $880 / mth for one yr lease contract.

So cheap? Must check properly whether is it registered for rental. I believe many cars leased out by this method are passenger (private) use.

Edited by Sunset73

Supersonic

Thinking most car rental companies if their current fleet of cars really 'old cars', will they buy new cars to replace their scrap cars? Esp with current coe super expensive!

Turbocharged

In this type of COE climate, not surprised to see most rental companies with old cars out there. Imagine a company has a fleet of 60 cars under them, all with COE ending around 2016~2017. To scrap and buy new one shot very shiong.

I doubt they get discount off COE just to replace 50 odd cars at 1 go.

Was thinking if this continues, does it mean many car rental companies will fold after 2017?

So cheap? Must check properly whether is it registered for rental. I believe many cars leased out by this method are passenger (private) use.

Just leased out recently.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=sgcarstore&req=showprod&product=87049

Neutral Newbie

I have no experience with this company, and so can't comment.

However, the tax disc being labelled Passenger (Private) and the "passenger motorcar" classification on the LTA page shows that the BMW you rented is not a properly converted rental car and thus should not be rented out. Passenger motorcar basically means a privately owned car, owned by an individual and not a company.

Refer to the attached screenshot, this is what you will see on the LTA "enquire transfer fee" page. The one on the left shows a typical private owner car which isn't allowed to be rented out, while the one on the right is a legitimate rental (private hire - self drive) car.

Thank you for these information.

It will be a great guideline =)

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Singapore car rental industry almost is the worst on the world, I have 10 over countries rent car experience, include southeast Asia, china, Taiwan, euro, Aus/NZ, USA, Mideast, north Africa... etc

even if I had only once experience in Singapore (rented BMW X3 3 days), but it's the worst experienced as,

1. surely interior cigarette smell,

2. definitely filthy, especially interior, water bottles, tissues, cigarette butts, ash etc, looks like coffee or vomited marks on seats surface,

3. Dash board alarm lights faulty, e.g.. Tyer Pressure light on, Engine malfunction light on...

4. Fuel tank empty light on, one pick the car, have to fill fuel immediately,

5. Of course price is the most expensive on the world, and have to pay in advance, most other countries to pay when return,

My experiences with 2 other car rental companies before trying out Urban Motors (due to ease of location plus cheaper rental of the car I was looking for) has been positive as their cars are well-maintained and do not have the existing issues stated.

Thus, I feel that there are car rental companies that take pride in their business still.

Rental is higher due to the soaring car prices in Singapore, and prices will be on the high side especially for the newer model.

↡ Advertisement