Car rental in Singapore

Lovethecars

Neutral Newbie

Hi! Does anybody know of any car rental companies which rent out long-term uber-ready cars? preferably the newer version of E250, Audi A6 or the BMW 5 series?

• Praise 2

Hi! Does anybody know of any car rental companies which rent out long-term uber-ready cars? preferably the newer version of E250, Audi A6 or the BMW 5 series?

Bro, you can try gumtree also.

A lot of people advertising uber/grabcar ready cars.

• Praise 3

S'pore guy rents car to Suria actor -- but here's how it ended up being involved in drug case

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/this-urban-jungle/spore-guy-rents-car-to-suria-actor-but-heres-how-it-ended-up-being-involved-in

Noor Ashikin Abdul Rahman

The New Paper

Nov 5, 2015

Last September, he posted an advertisement on online classifieds site Gumtree Singapore to rent out his car, a Toyota Mark X.

Mr Augustin Teo, 25, had an offer from another party but decided to rent it to Mr Nick Mikhail Razak because of his status as a well-known Suria actor.

Mr Teo, who works in the food and beverage industry, handed the car to Mr Nick Mikhail in September last year, in an agreement to rent the car to him for a year from October, for $1,600 a month.

The latter also paid a deposit of $1,600 upfront.

The car went missing this year and both parties told The New Paper that it had been impounded by Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) for investigations in a drug-related case.

From last November to June this year, Mr Teo travelled overseas for work, leaving his 55-year-old mother, Madam Connie Cheow, to liaise directly with Mr Nick Mikhail, 36, on matters related to his car.

During this time, Mr Teo claimed that Mr Nick Mikhail was tardy in replying to her calls and text messages each time he was late in making payments.

When asked, Mr Nick Mikhail said: "I was busy filming and might have missed some calls. If I paid late, it was only a matter of a few days or a week, but I still paid."

Payment was due on the first of every month.

Sometimes, Mr Teo claimed, payment was delayed by a week although Mr Nick Mikhail eventually paid up and had never defaulted on payment.

Frustrated with the communication between them, Madam Cheow knocked on the door of Mr Nick Mikhail's flat to confront him in February.

Acting on her son's instructions, she wanted him to return the car to the family by Feb 15.

DESPERATE

"We were desperate and we wanted to know the condition of the car," Mr Teo, a father of one, told TNP on Tuesday.

Mr Nick Mikhail was not home at that time, but his helper called him and passed the telephone to Madam Cheow.

Mr Teo claimed Mr Nick Mikhail told Madam Cheow that he wanted to continue using the car.

Frustrated, she left the premises and left it at that.

A month later, Mr Teo said Mr Nick Mikhail finally admitted to Madam Cheow via SMS that he had sublet the vehicle to a third party and that the man was missing.

Mr Nick Mikhail confirmed this when asked by TNP and said he was at Ang Mo Kio at that time, trying to track down the man he had sublet Mr Teo's car to. (See report onfacing page.)

That was when Mr Teo's mum decided to file a police report at Punggol Neighbourhood Police Centre, accompanied by Mr Teo's cousin.

By coincidence, they bumped into Mr Nick Mikhail, who also wanted to file a police report.

Mr Teo said: "My mum said that she did not raise her voice at him. My cousin had asked him how he could do such a thing.

"They spoke about how to settle the matter and find the man. With no conclusion, they left it at that."

The same month, Mr Teo said that Mr Nick Mikhail gave Madam Cheow the number and the name of a woman who insisted that she had no clue where her boyfriend - the third-party who had rented the car from Mr Nick Mikhail - was.

Since the car was missing, Mr Nick Mikhail also stopped the monthly payments.

"If the car remains missing for years, it doesn't make sense for me to continue paying monthly instalments," he told TNP.

The woman gave his mother a second number, which Mr Teo rang when he returned to Singapore in June.

That was when he was hit by the truth.

"Imagine my shock in June when I came back and received a call from my car's insurance company, Aviva, that the car had been involved in an accident, but the accident report was not forwarded.

"I became nervous and wondered what had happened. I sent Nick a text message, but no reply," he said.

"I also called the number that was given to my mother in March.

"It was an investigating officer from CNB who told me that my car was badly damaged and was involved in a drug case. Windscreen and windows smashed, seats have been removed. I then gave a statement to them," he said.

Upset by all that happened, Mr Teo posted what happened on Facebook. The post went viral.

Mr Augustin Teo said:

"It was an investigating officer from CNB who 
told me that my car was badly damaged 
and was involved 
in a drug 
case. Wind-screen and 
windows smashed, seats have been removed."

Suria actor Nick Mikhail Razak said:

"I decided that it wouldn't be worth it if I was paying for a car that I would use only five to six times. So I sublet the car to someone via Gumtree Singapore at the same price."

My biggest mistake was subletting the car

He regularly rented cars for his personal use on Gumtree Singapore.

When he saw the advertisement posted by Mr Augustin Teo, 25, on the site last year, he agreed to the cost and terms and rented the car.

In January, Mr Nick Mikhail Razak, who stars in Suria drama P.I.Z., decided to sublet the rented car to a man as he was tied up with work commitments in Batam, Bali, Kuala Lumpur and Johor Baru.

"I decided that it wouldn't be worth it if I was paying for a car that I would use only five to six times. So I sublet the car to someone via Gumtree Singapore at the same price. That was my biggest mistake," Mr Nick Mikhail, 36, told TNP on Tuesday.

The father of one did not inform Mr Teo and his accountant mother, Madam Connie Cheow, 55, about the subletting arrangement, as it was on a short-term basis.

"I mainly liaised with the man's girlfriend as he was busy at that time. Nothing struck me as fishy. They looked well-off and they paid the instalments on times. I, in turn, paid Augustin's mother each month. Then, (the man) disappeared on me in late February or early March. Even his girlfriend did not know where he was," he said.

Worried, he decided to track the couple down for about a week in Ang Mo Kio, but did not succeed.

He gave up in March, decided to come clean with Madam Cheow via SMS and filed a police report at Punggol Neighbourhood Police Centre. That was where he bumped into Madam Cheow and her nephew who were there to file a report against him for losing the car.

Mr Nick Mikhail won the Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Drama Series award at this year's Pesta Perdana,

He denied that he "disappeared", explaining that he was always in contact with Madam Cheow and that she had all his particulars.

But he did admit he had a missed call from Mr Teo in June, who had been trying to reach him after he found out from the insurance company that the car was involved in an accident.

In June, Mr Nick Mikhail received a call from Central Narcotics Bureau informing him that the car was in their possession as it had been linked to a drug-related case.

He was also called in for a statement.

"When I heard that, my heart sank. I was so shocked. Nobody thought this would happen," he said.

In response to Mr Teo's recent Facebook post, Mr Nick Mikhail also retaliated with Facebook posts with his side of the story.

On Monday, he made another police report, accusing Mr Teo of defamation and cyberbullying.

Is it legal to sublet a rental car?

Is renting out your private car illegal?

Lawyers The New Paper spoke to said that this is a grey area.

"Even when it comes to the owner renting out his own car, it is dicey. It is dependent on the permission given or agreement drawn up by the relevant authorities," Mr Rajan Supramaniam of Hilborne Law LLC said.

Lawyer Han Wah Teng said: "In the first place, it all boils down to whether proper licences are necessary for the owner to rent his car."

As to whether subletting a rental car is legal, Mr Han said: "If licenses are necessary to rent out a car and the owner doesn't have them, then that act is illegal. And it will be illegal down the line."

Mr Rajan said: "It depends if the owner is aware of it."

Said Mr Han: "It may affect the rights of the owner and user if the transaction was illegal."

• Praise 4

Just got my license recently & pretty excited to rent a car & drive around to hone my driving skills [smash]

But as most p-plate drivers, I'm pretty confused at which company to go for.

After doing some research, this company seems ok to me: https://www.drive.sg/rent/Toyota-Altis-by-cl-leasing-443/Bukit%20Batok, partly because the information about their insurance seems pretty comprehensive.

Have anyone tried to rent a car from this company before? Name of the company is CL Leasing at Bukit Batok.

Also before renting a car as a p-plate driver, anything I should take note? Like need to bring my own p plate, cash card, parking coupon, etc.?

Please read all the T&C carefully especially on the renter's LIABILTY before one rents a car ........ If anything happens, will be in for a rude (very costly) shock !!! 

Did some research & learned from senior members that we should check & make sure the label is "Motorcar" but not "Passenger (Private)". So we can know if the car is legal to be rented out.

In fact I'm more concerned about how the company reacts in the event of accident, or would they accuse the renters of dent / scratches on the car, etc.?

Heard AKA Rental has great customer service, also rents out to p-plate drivers, but their insurance excess is $10k, which is very high.

So I'm more leaning towards CL Leasing at Bukit Batok at the moment, though there is not really any review for this company yet :wacko: .

Hi All,

I had a very terrifying experience with a car rental company via Drive.sg recently and had suffered a loss of $3K under a distressing situation. 

Had make a police report, gone to CASE, small claims court but nothing can be done because the payment has been made. 

I'm not sure if anyone has similar experience but the whole episode but I would really like to draw awareness to this incident so to prevent others from falling the same thing too! It is just to horrifying. 

Cheap deal may be attractive, but going for a reputable company despite of more pricey, will prevent from incurring more loss.

This is especially important for new drivers like me should take note and avoid from taken advantage of!

If anyone had bad experience with car rental, I really do appreciate if you can share with me too. 

Hi All,

I had a very terrifying experience with a car rental company via Drive.sg recently and had suffered a loss of $3K under a distressing situation. 

Had make a police report, gone to CASE, small claims court but nothing can be done because the payment has been made. 

I'm not sure if anyone has similar experience but the whole episode but I would really like to draw awareness to this incident so to prevent others from falling the same thing too! It is just to horrifying. 

Cheap deal may be attractive, but going for a reputable company despite of more pricey, will prevent from incurring more loss.

This is especially important for new drivers like me should take note and avoid from taken advantage of!

If anyone had bad experience with car rental, I really do appreciate if you can share with me too. 

More info please.

• Praise 1

Basically this is what had happened...

My brother had made a booking from 'XX' Rental for 4 days in Dec. He is the hirer and also gone to collect the car with another brother. Whereas I am the one who had made the payment for the car. The incident happened on the second day of the rental, around noon at Jurong West Area. My brother received a call from a staff from 'XX' Rental shortly we left Jurong Point, asked him if he is driving the car. He replied that he was not driving at that moment. I was behind the wheel at that time but my brother was with me the entire time.The staff then told my brother to swap driver immediately and requested a copy of my IC and driving license, which we had done accordingly and he said will contact my brother to meet him later.

I felt uncomfortable about it so had opened a group chat with the 3 of us and i told staff that I will meet him instead as my brother has an appointment. Staff said he only needs to meet the hirer but I insisted to meet together so eventually we met up at Vivocity at 4pm at the carpark.

Staff came with a lady whom I do not know who she is but I presume she is one of the staff too / girlfriend of this staff. 

The first thing the staff did was to check the car. Nothing is wrong with the car, no accidents. Next he told us that we have breached the contract, has a video / photo of me driving the car and needs to fine us S$5,000 because my brother had sublet the car to me (which is definitely untrue), and even said payment needs to collected now.  As the contract was not in the car at that time, staff showed us a soft copy instead and pointed to the clause that was being breached. All of us where shocked because where can we raise such a lump sum immediately? Deposited was also forfeited. We were in shock. I was at a lost, unable to think straight, much less to mention about my younger brother (above 18). I pleaded for their leniency repeatedly and negotiated for a smaller amount of S$3,000 as the situation just felt too distressing that I want to get it settled, which in the end the bosses and staff agreed for this sum.Then my brother and a friend (who was present too) headed to the ATM to withdraw money and staff followed them. I passed my atm card to my brother to withdraw the money because I could not get myself up at that point in time so I remained in carpark. Then my brother and friend went back to the carpark to meet me whereas the staff and lady headed somewhere else after taking the payment. No receipt was given. Car keys were returned to them at the same time. 

The following day, the worry over the fact that no receipt was given and worried if the vehicle has been returned. Thus I made a call to Drive.sg to check the status of the car, and they directed me to a staff from the rental company in which I had requested for receipts for the $3K that was paid and the confirmation that car has been returned. To my horror, it came to my realization that this staff I last spoke too was the same person who had collected the payment from us. 

I had attempted to negotiate with the rental service again because it is untrue the vehicle was subletted and there was no accidents, but was flatly refused. By the way, it was the same staff I spoken to!

Drive.sg tried to help but was unsuccessful. 

Police, CASE, Small Claims Court unable to assist either. 

Just some background information which I found out from ACRA after this incident, this car rental service started merely a year and is non-singaporean behind this business. No reviews can be found either. 

I am not well-versed in law and not sure how appropriate the terms and conditions of this rental service are, so if anyone like to take a look or able to give some advice on this, I appreciate it. 

Basically this is what had happened...

My brother had made a booking from 'XX' Rental for 4 days in Dec. He is the hirer and also gone to collect the car with another brother. Whereas I am the one who had made the payment for the car. The incident happened on the second day of the rental, around noon at Jurong West Area. My brother received a call from a staff from 'XX' Rental shortly we left Jurong Point, asked him if he is driving the car. He replied that he was not driving at that moment. I was behind the wheel at that time but my brother was with me the entire time.The staff then told my brother to swap driver immediately and requested a copy of my IC and driving license, which we had done accordingly and he said will contact my brother to meet him later.

I felt uncomfortable about it so had opened a group chat with the 3 of us and i told staff that I will meet him instead as my brother has an appointment. Staff said he only needs to meet the hirer but I insisted to meet together so eventually we met up at Vivocity at 4pm at the carpark.

Staff came with a lady whom I do not know who she is but I presume she is one of the staff too / girlfriend of this staff.

The first thing the staff did was to check the car. Nothing is wrong with the car, no accidents. Next he told us that we have breached the contract, has a video / photo of me driving the car and needs to fine us S$5,000 because my brother had sublet the car to me (which is definitely untrue), and even said payment needs to collected now. As the contract was not in the car at that time, staff showed us a soft copy instead and pointed to the clause that was being breached. All of us where shocked because where can we raise such a lump sum immediately? Deposited was also forfeited. We were in shock. I was at a lost, unable to think straight, much less to mention about my younger brother (above 18). I pleaded for their leniency repeatedly and negotiated for a smaller amount of S$3,000 as the situation just felt too distressing that I want to get it settled, which in the end the bosses and staff agreed for this sum.Then my brother and a friend (who was present too) headed to the ATM to withdraw money and staff followed them. I passed my atm card to my brother to withdraw the money because I could not get myself up at that point in time so I remained in carpark. Then my brother and friend went back to the carpark to meet me whereas the staff and lady headed somewhere else after taking the payment. No receipt was given. Car keys were returned to them at the same time.

The following day, the worry over the fact that no receipt was given and worried if the vehicle has been returned. Thus I made a call to Drive.sg to check the status of the car, and they directed me to a staff from the rental company in which I had requested for receipts for the $3K that was paid and the confirmation that car has been returned. To my horror, it came to my realization that this staff I last spoke too was the same person who had collected the payment from us.

I had attempted to negotiate with the rental service again because it is untrue the vehicle was subletted and there was no accidents, but was flatly refused. By the way, it was the same staff I spoken to!

Drive.sg tried to help but was unsuccessful.

Police, CASE, Small Claims Court unable to assist either.

Just some background information which I found out from ACRA after this incident, this car rental service started merely a year and is non-singaporean behind this business. No reviews can be found either.

I am not well-versed in law and not sure how appropriate the terms and conditions of this rental service are, so if anyone like to take a look or able to give some advice on this, I appreciate it.

Did you ask for the video proof of it? This kind of situation u should have recorded the whole conversation discreetly. Edited by uniquely_ad
↡ Advertisement