How much do you think is needed to lead a comfortable life?

Chewbacca

How much do you think is needed to lead a comfortable life?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. X is in terms of income per year.

• X < 60K
    • 60K < X <= 70k
    • 70K < X <=80K
    • 80K < X <= 90K
    • 90K < X <=100K
    • 100K < X <=120K
    • 120K <X <=140K
    • 140K < X <=160K
    • X > 160K

my household expense about 2k max

if got kids maybe 3k+ the most

give me a combine 10k can lead v good life liao

everymonth surplus 5k+,song song

True, I did just that, same and song song until Jurong!! :D

↡ Advertisement

Assuming as it is. That is, CPI remains at exactly like this for the rest of your life.

Yes, comfortable is subjective, driving a BnB maybe comfortable to some, but not to others. This I know, so it's up to your own definition.

Not trying to judge or anything. I'm just curious about the level of expectations for the people in this forum.

For me.....I think $120K should be quite reasonable.

You don't have to reveal what you chose if you don't want to.

Diff life style range very huge, 40k can be comfortable without car n kids n staying in city HDB which bought 20 yrs ago, 200k is good for family of 2 kids with single income stay in a just bought 3mil condo in CCR, so its Single or family? These days ppl r complaining $ not enuff even couple with kids staying in a 10yrs old hdb with good income.

Why not come up with something more useful - like how much family income needed to buy a $500,000 HDB flat, $1,000,000 condo or $3,000,000 landed semi-D.

True, I did just that, same and song song until Jurong!! :D

no nid jurong la, such surplus,every 1-2 month u can travel Europe 2 weeks

indirectly u leading European life liao which many of us want i tot? [laugh] [laugh]

maybe we should think about how much we can save in a year rather than how much we need to lead a comfortable life. nothing is enough really. given 10k, we want a 100k... and we keep chasing after the figure.

a well-planned and down to earth person would be able to save according or irregardless to the amount he earns.

now, that is something else... these are the ones i respect.

Edited by 987

no nid jurong la, such surplus,every 1-2 month u can travel Europe 2 weeks

indirectly u leading European life liao which many of us want i tot? [laugh] [laugh]

also, the trip will be much more enjoyable since other time of the year life is plain (low-cost) :D

Turbocharged

- Household salary must be at least $450-500K p.a.

- No outstanding, large debts

- Savings (or endowment fund) in place for children's university education (with overseas Uni, for worst-case-scenario planning)

- Not a problem gambler

- Your family is adequately insured

what are you going to do with 450k pa???

Turbocharged

If you ignore debts, seriously how much do you need a month to feel comfortable?

For me, in one month I need

1) 8 "nice" meals outside at $100 per meal = $800

2) $2k to buy toys, like phone,camera,HT,

3) $1k family expenses, utilities, normal food, etc.

4) $1k children expenses.

5) $1k overseas tours twice a year at $6k each.

my parent is pretty self sufficient so no worries for me. All in al I think I need 72k per year to be happy.

The car is a problem though. That probably takes up like $1k minimum right?

what are you going to do with 450k pa???

Buy a CCR D.10 FH prime landed house to stay in.

Put in all branded German fixtures, kitchen & bathrooms.

With maybe a couple of other apartment units, as an investment hedge.

Own 3 German cars, or more. Merc, BMW, Audi, and a Porsche.

Save enough for all children to study in US or UK.

Have great family vacations 1-2 times a year.

Eat well and recreate well.

And save some.

It just comes down to your family's quality of life!

Edited by Jolie888

I LOL when I read the title. I dunno, I'm guessing ppl who ask such a question is probably a young person.

My first thoughts are like some ppl already mentioned in the net. Remember during your school days you would flip to the back pages of your Maths tutorial book to look for the model answer? And dan you would try to work out a solution from there. Sometimes you would succeed in getting the right steps but that's very rare coz most of the time you would fail. After a while you will realised you are only bluffing yourself.

I'm sure the Maths teacher would say these until damn sian. Getting the step by step solution matters more dan getting the model answer. Evn getting the steps partially right you can still score some points but getting the answer correct but the steps wrong will get you zero points.

Asking how much is needed to lead a comfy life is like trying to peek at the model answer at the back of the book. This model answer or a number you are seeking, is this really what you are looking for? I suggest you work on leading a comfy life one small step at a time. It's a lifestyle you are chasing after, not some number.

Some folks work very hard to chase after some number but do not slow down to enjoy the smaller success they had achieved. What for?

Edited by Watwheels

Turbocharged

Own 3 cars, or more. Merc, BMW, Audi, and a Porsche.

investment does not count lah. Question is how much money you need to lead comfortable life. That assume you already have lots of money :)

Other than housing and car, the rest of the stuff dont REALLY need a lot of money. I always believe there is a point of a diminishing returns. I have eaten $300 per pax meal (ONCE, kaiseki in Osaka) and $50 per pax meals. There isn't really that big a difference in the food (service wise is quite different).

The difference between $10 per pax vs $50 per pax is huge though.

I mean the sky is the limit if you "really" want to spend money. I am sure there are $1000 per pax meals around too.

In singapore, the two problem items for most people is probably housing and car. Once you get them out of the way, it isn't really hard to live a comfortable life. But the housing and cars are big problems now.

My kid will get a scholarship if she wants to study overseas :) if she can't get an overseas scholarship... no point sending her overseas.... waste money... if anything, I will save money so she can buy out her bond if she needs to.

Depends on your interpretation of 'comfortable'. Some pple eat at hawker/coffee shop breakfast lunch and dinner happy oredy whilst others eat at restaurants and other upscale establishment. Some pple say porsche audi beemer merc comfy but others say proton geely and kia is comfy enough!

people who say porsche, beemer, audi comfy has said Proton, Geely and Kia is comfy enough in the past :D

maybe we should think about how much we can save in a year rather than how much we need to lead a comfortable life. nothing is enough really. given 10k, we want a 100k... and we keep chasing after the figure.

a well-planned and down to earth person would be able to save according or irregardless to the amount he earns.

now, that is something else... these are the ones i respect.

you flatter me....

Own 3 German cars, or more. Merc, BMW, Audi, and a Porsche.

And save some.

i'm very sure $450k pa cannot do all that......not unless you have been at it for the last 15yrs

investment does not count lah. Question is how much money you need to lead comfortable life. That assume you already have lots of money :)

Other than housing and car, the rest of the stuff dont REALLY need a lot of money. I always believe there is a point of a diminishing returns. I have eaten $300 per pax meal (ONCE, kaiseki in Osaka) and $50 per pax meals. There isn't really that big a difference in the food (service wise is quite different).

The difference between $10 per pax vs $50 per pax is huge though.

I mean the sky is the limit if you "really" want to spend money. I am sure there are $1000 per pax meals around too.

In singapore, the two problem items for most people is probably housing and car. Once you get them out of the way, it isn't really hard to live a comfortable life. But the housing and cars are big problems now.

My kid will get a scholarship if she wants to study overseas :) if she can't get an overseas scholarship... no point sending her overseas.... waste money... if anything, I will save money so she can buy out her bond if she needs to.

however u have to ensure yr kid gets the paper....otherwise no funding

↡ Advertisement