SMRT's cable ties had failed

Lethalstrike

Cable ties failed to stop rail claws from dislodging

SINGAPORE - An SMRT line manager revealed that rail claws on SMRT's rail network continued to dislodge even after they were secured with cable ties.

Night duty officer Mr Loke Kwok Hoong was working after the train disruption on Dec 17.

He revealed to the Committee of Inquiry (COI) that cable ties were placed around all claws on the North-South and East-West lines during a thorough joint inspection by the Land Transport Authority and SMRT.

When asked why the claws could have dislodged, Mr Loke said the cable ties used were "normal", and not "special ones".

COI member engineering professor Lim Mong King asked Mr Loke if he knew of other times when claws have dislodged even with the cable ties in place, to whcih Mr Loke replied in the affirmative.

Mr Loke was also questioned about a cracked mirror of a multi-function vehicle used to inspect the third rail prior to 17 December.

Loke said he did not know about the cracked mirror till after the 17 December disruption, and added that if he were on duty on Dec 16, he would have been concerned and asked for inspections to be done.

But he clarified that not all night duty officers have the same knowledge about the inspection vehicle.

The hearing continues.

Now who are they trying to kid?

Its obvious that the cable ties idea is given and implemented by idiots at the first place. And is there something such as "special" cable ties?

SMRT is a bloody joke to think that such a "quick-fix" solution combined with reduced speeds are adequate enough as stop-gap measures. <_<

↡ Advertisement

may i suggest them to weld the claws tightly to the support.. -_-

a lot of inspectors will lose jobs if nothing left to maintain [laugh]

may i suggest them to weld the claws tightly to the support.. -_-

i remember studying something like moduless elasticity,i think the metal claws being non elastic if not allowed to vibrate and being welded down may result in breaking.

a lot of inspectors will lose jobs if nothing left to maintain [laugh]

Maybe now the inspectors have to use more cable ties to fasten the existing cable ties and prevent them from loosening? [laugh]

Turbocharged

i remember studying something like moduless elasticity,i think the metal claws being non elastic if not allowed to vibrate and being welded down may result in breaking.

My statement was posted with a pinch of sarcasm.. [laugh] [laugh]

Welding only works if the 2 materials being joined together have the same properties/composition.. if not, it may not join properly or may corrode prematurely..

3rd Gear
(edited)

Why didn't SMRT use superglue and rubber bands in addition to cable ties as well?

The above are also cheap and fast solutions which I am sure the SMRT management will approve in a hearbeat.

[laugh][laugh]

Edited by CKP

Why didn't SMRT use superglue and rubber bands in addition to cable ties as well?

The above are also cheap and fast solutions which I am sure the SMRT managemet will approve in a hearbeat.

[laugh][laugh]

Yeah, and please use some of karung guni's raffia string for added rigidity as well. :D

So much for "Tried & Tested", "Recommended by OEM" and "International Experts"...

u8pzL.jpg

Allow me to offer my say. i think being a critical support structure which lends mechanical strength, you wouldn't want elasticity to be a big feature of the material used. I wouldn't want to use Young Modulus as a critical parameter to evaluate possible materials.

In our context, cyclical stress is highly pronounced and metal fatigue will be highly exacerbated. You need forged rather than cast metals in this instance. Like Shull, i am in favour of welding. Specifically line welding over spot welding. In the absence of credible calculations, i am actually still doubtful whether welding in itself is sufficient to withstand for a turnover period of say realistically 10 years.

3rd Gear

Yeah, and please use some of karung guni's raffia string for added rigidity as well. :D

So much for "Tried & Tested", "Recommended by OEM" and "International Experts"...

u8pzL.jpg

p1hwr.gif

You forgot to include transport minister's behind the scene reaction to the above SMRT's update?

[:p]

Supersonic

The above are also cheap and fast solutions which I am sure the SMRT management will approve in a hearbeat.

[laugh][laugh]

Those $1 pack c/w 3 stick elephant super glue. Cheap and effective. [laugh]

maybe smrt mgmt should secure their infants in the car seat with cable tie first to see if it really works. as a bonus they can use the special cable ties

maybe smrt mgmt should secure their infants in the car seat with cable tie first to see if it really works. as a bonus they can use the special cable ties

:D

I just realised there are industrial grade stainless steel cable ties available for securing either their infants or the claws.

But apparently, i can only assume SMRT's budget only enough for cheapo plastic ties as there isn't any mention about the materials being used for the ties anywhere in the news report.

:D

I just realised there are industrial grade stainless steel cable ties available for securing either their infants or the claws.

But apparently, i can only assume SMRT's budget only enough for cheapo plastic ties as there isn't any mention about the materials being used for the ties anywhere in the news report.

those metal ones are clamps liao la. not ties.

removable.

and one piece about 10 bucks

Turbocharged

Whoever think of using cable ties is an idiot and should be shot.

I only know that Mustafa center uses a lot of cable ties.

Cable ties failed to stop rail claws from dislodging

SINGAPORE - An SMRT line manager revealed that rail claws on SMRT's rail network continued to dislodge even after they were secured with cable ties.

Night duty officer Mr Loke Kwok Hoong was working after the train disruption on Dec 17.

He revealed to the Committee of Inquiry (COI) that cable ties were placed around all claws on the North-South and East-West lines during a thorough joint inspection by the Land Transport Authority and SMRT.

When asked why the claws could have dislodged, Mr Loke said the cable ties used were "normal", and not "special ones".

COI member engineering professor Lim Mong King asked Mr Loke if he knew of other times when claws have dislodged even with the cable ties in place, to whcih Mr Loke replied in the affirmative.

Mr Loke was also questioned about a cracked mirror of a multi-function vehicle used to inspect the third rail prior to 17 December.

Loke said he did not know about the cracked mirror till after the 17 December disruption, and added that if he were on duty on Dec 16, he would have been concerned and asked for inspections to be done.

But he clarified that not all night duty officers have the same knowledge about the inspection vehicle.

The hearing continues.

Now who are they trying to kid?

Its obvious that the cable ties idea is given and implemented by idiots at the first place. And is there something such as "special" cable ties?

SMRT is a bloody joke to think that such a "quick-fix" solution combined with reduced speeds are adequate enough as stop-gap measures. <_<

I believe many SMRT employs many Professional Engineers, who should have some ideas what are the limitation of cable ties usage. Are they having fun playing with cable ties? [laugh]

Drinks stalls at hawker centre also use cable ties on their glass jugs as differentiation.

We are a cable tie nation.

↡ Advertisement