New Renault Grand Scenic Diesel

Schell31

Supersonic

Went Renault showroom to test drive GS4 as i'm looking for a good size diesel mpv to replace my 2yrs old reliable but boring Toyota wish. The built quality looks good with a lot of electronic gadget and the design and outlook should be one of the best looking mpv with 20inch rim. After test drive, my concern for this mpv is the driving feel and the reliability. IMHO, The 20inch wheel mpv driving experience is somewhat not up to my expectation compare to what i had on other conti MPV with 17inch wheels. Strangely, It drive more like a korean car instead. End of the day, due to Renault SE quoted for my 2yrs old Toyota was the worst among all dealer and seems not keen at all to made a deal. Luckily i managed to join Renault forum and was shocked to see a few complaint with internal car water leak due to poor rear camera installation, some brand new car on and off having strange error code pop out, hard to find shop with replacement tyres due to odd 20inch size which sad to say kind of put me off for this good looking and with good FC mpv. In the end, i gave up looking for a diesel mpv and opt for a petrol conti mpv which gave me assurance with 5yrs warranty and 5years foc servicing.

As the french will say: "c'est la vie"
↡ Advertisement

Letâs see if you still say the same after your warranty expires. BMW would be welcoming your wallet with open arms when you need to replace any parts unless you offload it before warranty ends. ð

I thought BMW's reliability is quite ok?

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I went down to Renault today and was interested in the Renault grand scenic.

The salesman told me that there is a lobang that sells 20 inches tyres at $250. Is that true?

Is it hard to find Renault spare parts?

Are the problems that plague VW DSG similar to Renault’s EDC?

Thanks for any reply, I really appreciate it.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I went down to Renault today and was interested in the Renault grand scenic.

The salesman told me that there is a lobang that sells 20 inches tyres at $250. Is that true?

Is it hard to find Renault spare parts?

Are the problems that plague VW DSG similar to Renaultâs EDC?

Thanks for any reply, I really appreciate it.

Join the Gran Scenic group in facebook and take yout time to carefully read through those post on GS related issues and then think through it whether you are willing to spend at least 5years with it.

Turbocharged

Letâs see if you still say the same after your warranty expires. BMW would be welcoming your wallet with open arms when you need to replace any parts unless you offload it before warranty ends. ð

I thought there are many alternative workshops for post-warranty bmws... shouldnt it be competitive?

I thought there are many alternative workshops for post-warranty bmws... shouldnt it be competitive?

I think what he means is that you just have so many parts to replace and each part is very costly even if you do it outside... if you go back to Performance Motors, you will get chopped until jialat jialat lar...

The thing is if BMW is so unreliable then why are they selling it in droves? Surely there should be some baseline reliability lar...

:XD: go google on bmw air con failure, oil leak and engine oil consumption.

The engine oil consumption issue may be a non-issue right? Yes it consumes oil but you only find out when you have to do oil change... and when you top up, it's fine... unless the oil consumption causes the engine to stop working... so far I don't see many BMWs breakdown along the roads... I drive Bukit Timah every day, lots of BMWs, Mercedes & Audis... each of these German brands have their own issues apparently but people still buy them... I don't believe all the owners live with such issues all the time...

The oil leak issue occurs when the car is older which also occurs to other cars... I don't know how old these BMWs are before oil leaks occur but given that they sell so many cars a month, surely the hit rate is going to be higher... the Japanese brands also have these issues but they don't make so much noise cos they don't pay so much for the car lar...

As for aircon failure, I don't know how widespread the problem is, but this is one area which should be foolproof...

I guess buying these brands means you pay the price for cutting edge technology which then carries with it the risk of immature processes which leads to design issues or decreased longevity for parts...

Supersonic

I think what he means is that you just have so many parts to replace and each part is very costly even if you do it outside... if you go back to Performance Motors, you will get chopped until jialat jialat lar...

The thing is if BMW is so unreliable then why are they selling it in droves? Surely there should be some baseline reliability lar...

The engine oil consumption issue may be a non-issue right? Yes it consumes oil but you only find out when you have to do oil change... and when you top up, it's fine... unless the oil consumption causes the engine to stop working... so far I don't see many BMWs breakdown along the roads... I drive Bukit Timah every day, lots of BMWs, Mercedes & Audis... each of these German brands have their own issues apparently but people still buy them... I don't believe all the owners live with such issues all the time...

The oil leak issue occurs when the car is older which also occurs to other cars... I don't know how old these BMWs are before oil leaks occur but given that they sell so many cars a month, surely the hit rate is going to be higher... the Japanese brands also have these issues but they don't make so much noise cos they don't pay so much for the car lar...

As for aircon failure, I don't know how widespread the problem is, but this is one area which should be foolproof...

I guess buying these brands means you pay the price for cutting edge technology which then carries with it the risk of immature processes which leads to design issues or decreased longevity for parts...

My friend bought a 5 year old 3 series.

Oil leak 2 times, radiator leak once, change engine mountings twice and now worrying about the timing belt.

He's been trying to sell it for the past 2 years.

My friend bought a 5 year old 3 series.

Oil leak 2 times, radiator leak once, change engine mountings twice and now worrying about the timing belt.

He's been trying to sell it for the past 2 years.

Hmmm... 5 years about time for changing many parts lar... but engine gasket should not be one of them... radiator possible... engine mountings maybe just pure luck lar... although I feel should not need to change also... timing belt depends on mileage...

Maybe the first owner never take care lar... ha ha...

(edited)

:XD: VW DSG gearbox keep failing and people still keep buying. Engine oil consumption non issue? Wait till the car prompt you engine oil every week or your engine is stave of engine oil then you will know if it is any issue. The irritating things is there is no sure cure method to determine why is the car consuming engine oil. can be turbo burning oil, oil line feed leak and burn off, valve stem seals, PVC valve and many more. Most of the issue start happening after the 3rd year even if you baby the car. Within the 1st 3 years, the car is fantastic to drive 

Edited by theory_87

Turbocharged

:XD: VW DSG gearbox keep failing and people still keep buying. Engine oil consumption non issue? Wait till the car prompt you engine oil every week or your engine is stave of engine oil then you will know if it is any issue. The irritating things is there is no sure cure method to determine why is the car consuming engine oil. can be turbo burning oil, oil line feed leak and burn off, valve stem seals, PVC valve and many more. Most of the issue start happening after the 3rd year even if you baby the car. Within the 1st 3 years, the car is fantastic to drive

Hmm... looks like this is a common problem. There are even class action lawsuits for this.

Anyway, leave that for the bmw thread.

I almost bought this renault 7 seater because in my view it was (and still is) the best looking among mpvs out there. Like a work of art.

Neutral Newbie

Hmm... looks like this is a common problem. There are even class action lawsuits for this.

Anyway, leave that for the bmw thread.

I almost bought this renault 7 seater because in my view it was (and still is) the best looking among mpvs out there. Like a work of art.

Why did you almost brought it? You brought a better car?

Turbocharged

Why did you almost brought it? You brought a better car?

it looked really nice but looks are not everything.

the soul matters. 

also vetoed by the CO.

Hi,

check with you guys here. When your cars are under 3 years free servicing and you send your car to wearnes for servicing, is it only labor is free while all other standard stuff like engine oil, filters etc are payable by owner?

Hi,

check with you guys here. When your cars are under 3 years free servicing and you send your car to wearnes for servicing, is it only labor is free while all other standard stuff like engine oil, filters etc are payable by owner?

Everything all in for servicing. Wear n tear excluded, they shld have a list of each servicing what will need to change etc.

Everything all in for servicing. Wear n tear excluded, they shld have a list of each servicing what will need to change etc.

Thanks Dannn.

Has anyone change the 20 inches rims to something a smaller size rim?

Just curious why would you want to do that?

↡ Advertisement