New Renault Grand Scenic Diesel

Schell31

Thanks Dannn.

Just curious why would you want to do that?

Probably cos the tire size is really odd and pretty difficult to source...
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Probably cos the tire size is really odd and pretty difficult to source...

Yes you are right, plus it’s quite expensive.

Yes you are right, plus itâs quite expensive.

Late reply.....But it's $240nett per pc, reasonable for a 20" branded (Continental, Goodyear) tyre. But of course it will be expensive if you compare it with 18" tyres.

But given the good FC, the delta in the cost of tyres (assuming 240-160 x 4pc = 320) would have already been free from the fuel saved in 3 mths based on my mileage. I'm clocking 20km/L even with my hard driving style. My wife can clock 23km/L.

Drive so far has been good and no defects, except for the occasional loss of radio station pre-sets in the HU. Still waiting for their firmware patch.

The sound system and sound insulation are good as a conti, but I still upgrade to aftermarket sound systems (+ video monitors) and added more sound insulation to the 4 doors. I wanted to add soundproofing to the floorpan, but there was no need to because it was already very good with thick sound insulation foam installed. Now I couldn't even hear the noises from the big trucks and buses when they are beside me!

Definitely a good buy for me. Enjoyed the ride more than my previous Estima and Odyssey.

• Praise 2

Late reply.....But it's $240nett per pc, reasonable for a 20" branded (Continental, Goodyear) tyre. But of course it will be expensive if you compare it with 18" tyres.

But given the good FC, the delta in the cost of tyres (assuming 240-160 x 4pc = 320) would have already been free from the fuel saved in 3 mths based on my mileage. I'm clocking 20km/L even with my hard driving style. My wife can clock 23km/L.

Drive so far has been good and no defects, except for the occasional loss of radio station pre-sets in the HU. Still waiting for their firmware patch.

The sound system and sound insulation are good as a conti, but I still upgrade to aftermarket sound systems (+ video monitors) and added more sound insulation to the 4 doors. I wanted to add soundproofing to the floorpan, but there was no need to because it was already very good with thick sound insulation foam installed. Now I couldn't even hear the noises from the big trucks and buses when they are beside me!

Definitely a good buy for me. Enjoyed the ride more than my previous Estima and Odyssey.

Which sound system did u purchase?  Video monitors at the head rest? 

Which sound system did u purchase? Video monitors at the head rest?

I went with the following configuration with considerations to my budget!

SOUND SYSTEM

1) Rainbow SLC6.2 Component Speakers (Front and Rear)

2) Esatto Comado CO-D6 DSP (with built in Amp)

3) Esatto Underseat Active Subwoofer AS69

4) Initial Tuning + Follow up tuning (~1 month later after speakers run in period) **inclusive.

SOUNDPROOFING

1) 3 layers Soundguard soundproofing (all 4 doors)

2) Door seals (all 4 doors + Boot door)

HEADREST VIDEO MONITORS

1) 2 x Pioneer monitors

Did the headrest monitors at Auto Trend and the rest (Audio system and Soundproofing) at AutoImage. Because Auto Image has the Esatto DSP which I feel is the game changer.

Happy upgrading!

Ah ok...i old unker refuse to wear bifocals :D

No worries!

I just saw a retiree upgrading his GS sound system with a big budget. Really know how to enjoy life.

Luckily i managed to join Renault forum and was shocked to see a few complaint with internal car water leak due to poor rear camera installation,...

To be fair to Wearnes, the rear camera installation is not done by Wearnes, but done by its contractor instead which did not properly put back the rear door seal. Yes Wearnes could do last check, but without rain, it would be difficult to test unless they must splash big amount of water for every car they sell. That is isolated case and so far there is only one case.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Collected my Renault GS and been driving it for 5 days.   Mileage averaging 5.8L per 100KM.  A bit of engine noise but I suppose it's pretty normal for diesel engine.  Overall, quite happy with the car.  

Space wise, we hardly gonna use the 3rd row seats (unless road trip to Malaysia).  

You can join our newly form WhatsApp GS4 group, Pls ask Daniel Tan Boon Huat to add you into the group @ 9026 7051 recommended by George

Hi, i'm considering the Grand Scenic but as this is the first time i'm thinking of a conti car, hope to get some feedback here. 

Are there any common issues/complaints about this car? Are they expensive to fix/repair? Heard that it's expensive to fix a conti car, in general. 

How is the resale value of this car? I heard that resale value of conti cars are generally lower than jap cars. Is that true? I just want to be mentally prepared and also do my sums carefully. 

I test drove the car but the initial pick-up seems weak, thought diesel cars' pick up should be better? 

Overall, would you recommend getting this car? 

Thanks in advance... 

Anyone considering this weekend sale of the Grand Scenic? The Bose edition is 129,999 neg. don’t see much activity in this forum since March. Any feedback on the Bose edition?

Hi, i'm considering the Grand Scenic but as this is the first time i'm thinking of a conti car, hope to get some feedback here.

Are there any common issues/complaints about this car? Are they expensive to fix/repair? Heard that it's expensive to fix a conti car, in general.

How is the resale value of this car? I heard that resale value of conti cars are generally lower than jap cars. Is that true? I just want to be mentally prepared and also do my sums carefully.

I test drove the car but the initial pick-up seems weak, thought diesel cars' pick up should be better?

Overall, would you recommend getting this car?

Thanks in advance...

Did u get in the end?

Don't buy anything from Renault. The initial test drive feels great....the real nightmare comes 4 to 5 years later, be prepared to have your car in the workshop for long weeks of repair. French people good at baking bread or cook a meal....not cars!

U speaking from experience? Which model that gave u such problems?

And is it acknowledged by them or urs is just a one off case

(edited)

Don't buy anything from Renault. The initial test drive feels great....the real nightmare comes 4 to 5 years later, be prepared to have your car in the workshop for long weeks of repair. French people good at baking bread or cook a meal....not cars! 

I drove the Grand Scenic MK4 briefly and no, you don't need 4-5 years to see problems in Renault. Apart from my own experience, friends (private owners & PHV alike) sees different types of issues.

1. Software is unpredictable. Not sure what's the best term to describe it. Preset radio channels will vanished over time. For me, I have to reset radio channels once a month.

2. Carpark at my place is a slight slope, it triggers the check parking brake alert when it has never happened in any of my other cars - Mercs, Honda etc)

3. Creaking noise when I have somebody boarding my car in the rear. Checked with a few other owners and Grab drivers, some of them faced the same noise too. In my circle, nobody has managed to pinpoint what exactly is causing the creaking noise. Brakes or suspension. Workshop couldn't figure out too. But, at least I know I am not alone hearing this.

4. I haven't drove up to Genting in this car but for friends whom had, they say it is an absolute pain without throttle plugin.

I think among the Conti cars, Renault probably rank the lowest. French just love to do things different because they're "special".

Edited by Ravinged

True, just take a look at resale Renault in the market now. Those cars age around 4 to 5 years advertisement, Owners stating that Transmission and ECU has recently been replaced, Mileage is not even 100k!

↡ Advertisement