Must resurface the flywheel when changing the clucth??

Read from many ang moh forum where the flywheel should be resurface (aka skim the flywheel) before installing new clutch. but I dont see this as a common practice in SG. Is it a must to do so??

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

flywheel is for auto cars only? or manual also have?

Whether it's petrol or diesel engine, auto or manual, all has a flywheel.

They resurface the flywheel probably is to remove the rust. Maybe they feel that the rust will affect the dynamic balance of the flywheel when it's turning. (Layman: the rust causes uneven weight distribution on the flywheel)

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

Normally flywheels with uneven wear or burn /glazed marks are grind down only a few thousand of an inch. The whole idea is to get a very flat and straight surface to the flywheel axis so as to get the best clutch plate contact withno slip when transmitting power.

post-272-1339376055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

when ws down ur GB to replace clutch

they can examine the condition of flywheel

if theres a need to skim or replace

better have it done due to down GB not cheap so in the case

u same on labour as u no need to down again for future skim of fly

but but last x when i driving manual n change gearing, clutch

never once need to skim fly

hahhahaa

maybe u are rite

seldom this practise locally as for me

oh i guess is they dun have the proper mc as another bro show

so mine last x was straight replaced n not skim

hahhahaha

The cheapest tool for small shop is a piece of diamond impregnated oil stone. Manually polishing can help to remove some wear marks and ridges.

(edited)

Normally flywheels with uneven wear or burn /glazed marks are grind down only a few thousand of an inch. The whole idea is to get a very flat and straight surface to the flywheel axis so as to get the best clutch plate contact withno slip when transmitting power.

Disk uneven wear can be easily inspect by visual, but if flywheel warp, I doubt its visible... There was once I found my wheel vibrate whenever I brake. I suspect its the brake disk. Bring it for a check and the guy tested drive and told me that its 99% disk brake but if turn out not, I will still have to pay for the skimming... took off the wheel and I see nothing wrong with the disk. No unusual mark, crack... in fact, its much smoother than my previous ride disk brake. But once they started to skim, can see a "patch" of the disk brake area not skimmed when the machines starts... They ran the machine 2 rounds to make sure that the whole surface is evenly skimmed and they did "balancing" to ensure that the disk is balanced after skimming...in the end, only 1 of the disk was slightly warp and other other side its fine but I have to pay for both....

Edited by Tigershark1976

when ws down ur GB to replace clutch

they can examine the condition of flywheel

if theres a need to skim or replace

better have it done due to down GB not cheap so in the case

u same on labour as u no need to down again for future skim of fly

but but last x when i driving manual n change gearing, clutch

never once need to skim fly

hahhahaa

maybe u are rite

seldom this practise locally as for me

I doubt those workshop even check in the 1st place... Seen many mech changing clutch disk.... their eye is not even on the flywheel.. when changing the clutch plate, clutch cover and bearing.... [;)][;)]

↡ Advertisement