Best use of KrisFlyer miles

Icebird

Thinking of going to LA from Singapore and am considering using my KF miles to upgrade to Biz class given the long flight. Realised however that that the air tix that is upgradeable costs $500 per pax more than the usual one (my wife and me going - so $1000 more). The upgrade requires 67,000 miles each pax. Do you guys think it is worth it or should I just save the KF miles for other uses next time?

Alternatively, given that the flight stops over at Narita, is it possible just to have the upgrade from Narita to LA? - That should save some KF miles?

↡ Advertisement

Depend if you're planning to fly again using KF miles...........for me I'll save the miles so that during my next business trip, I can book a ticket for my wife if she's coming too...... [:p]

Thinking of going to LA from Singapore and am considering using my KF miles to upgrade to Biz class given the long flight. Realised however that that the air tix that is upgradeable costs $500 per pax more than the usual one (my wife and me going - so $1000 more). The upgrade requires 67,000 miles each pax. Do you guys think it is worth it or should I just save the KF miles for other uses next time?

Alternatively, given that the flight stops over at Narita, is it possible just to have the upgrade from Narita to LA? - That should save some KF miles?

Fly via Narita then should be A380.

For me, I think its ok to redeem economy and save the miles for other use.

Not forgetting the fuel surcharge and airport tax is not cheap.

Yes..I found these miles quite useless nowadays as the fuel surcharges and airport tax brings the price very close to the promotional fares.

Fly via Narita then should be A380.

For me, I think its ok to redeem economy and save the miles for other use.

Not forgetting the fuel surcharge and airport tax is not cheap.

It is about 20 hours travel. Even though it is an A380, economy is not so comfortable (slightly better than the other models). Business class is too good for the simple reason that it is a flat bed.

I would say, if your budget allows, I would certainly recommend Business class all the way!

Yes..I found these miles quite useless nowadays as the fuel surcharges and airport tax brings the price very close to the promotional fares.

I completely agree with you. It is better to take other "no frills" airliners for other Asian destinations. SIA's surcharge and tax over the spent miles is almost same as the total cost in those airliners. It is better to utilise the miles on the longer routes!

Neutral Newbie

I don't think its worth it. First you have to pay $500 more just to allow the tic to be upgraded. Then you still have to pay that much more for the upgrade in KF miles. I would rather use it for short haul econ flights. Unless I really can't think of how else to use the KF miles before its expiry.

Turbocharged
(edited)

cannot compare Budget Airlines vs SQ. totally different.

At least during delay/tecnical problem, SQ will not kick you aside.

If we take SQ, we are paying for service and quality.

I am a SQ fan. Main flight must always be on SQ flight.

Look at the recent Jetstar case, passengers have to wait for more than 48hrs for their flight to be repair.

Horrible experience which i dont want to encounter....

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg...r_two_days.html

TS, if you want to maximise your miles, PM me your contact number.

I teach you.

Edited by Mcf777

Can share with me also? I use credits cards to maximize miles that's all. Anyway I don't think it makes sense to redeem on economy class, I usually use miles to redeem for business class

Look at the recent Jetstar case, passengers have to wait for more than 48hrs for their flight to be repair.

I teach you.

Yes, no doubt that SIA is the best. What I wanted to say is I would prefer to use budget airlines for travel within Asia rather than spending same money earned miles. Typically around 3 hours flight would cost you same amount in budget and SIA. I do not mind spending 3 hours in those airlines and save those miles for longer SIA flights!

pls consider that even if you want to upgrade...it may not be available at the time when you try to do it....cause it is subject to availability...so you maybe wasting your 500 per pax if you can't in the end...unless somehow you are sure you can redeem the upgrade by paying 500 extra per pax...

Turbocharged

bro, you can always check online or call them ("live" status) how many redemption seats are available.

can you check online if upgrading is possible without a issue ticket? call verbally I also never try before...but just hoping the worst case won't happen to TS..brought a full fare ticket for purpose of upgrading....then he see the system tell him "upgrading not available on selected flight !!!".. [:p] then siao...500 down the drain for nothing...

Exactly!

I wanted to redeem 2 tickets to London but still lack of ~12,000 miles. If top up by $$ need about S$1,000, plus all other charges about S$2K+++.

I saw Britsh airway promo, 2 to go all in is only S$1,480 each. [laugh]

Exactly!

I wanted to redeem 2 tickets to London but still lack of ~12,000 miles. If top up by $$ need about S$1,000, plus all other charges about S$2K+++.

I saw Britsh airway promo, 2 to go all in is only S$1,480 each. [laugh]

Having said that, in my records, I have redeemed:

2 x return tickets to Xiamen

4 x return tickets to Bkk

3 x return tickets to HK

2 x return tickets to Tokyo/ Hokkaido (in Aug 12)

I quote you one example.

For a redemption ticket to Hong Kong, after adding the taxes and fuel surcharge, you just need to top up $100++ and you can travel by Cathy Pacific on one of the promotional fares. They arent too bad too.

I teach you.

↡ Advertisement