MediaCorp TV channels to go digital from end-2013

Wubb

Both my Philips t.v. are able to receive all the digital channels, without using any external antennas. I didn't spend a single cent, my t.v.s just churned out all the local digital channels when I did digital channel search

I think they have strengthen the digital broadcast signals... last time my tv unable to receive if not using an electronic booster or even when someone walk past the antenna, the reception will be cut off a while... now I can remove the booster and move the antenna inwards to my house without extending to the window without any problem to the reception. But I have not tried removing the antenna altogether la
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think they have strengthen the digital broadcast signals... last time my tv unable to receive if not using an electronic booster or even when someone walk past the antenna, the reception will be cut off a while... now I can remove the booster and move the antenna inwards to my house without extending to the window without any problem to the reception. But I have not tried removing the antenna altogether la

Think I will get another box and antenna for my room. I couldn't get some channels in my room when I tried last year (tried with the one I was passing to my mum)

I bought a DVB box for my room tv not digital ready. The box comes with an active antenna.

When I use the AV cable and place the antenna just in front of the tv, I got a good reception.

But when I switch to hdmi cable, without adjusting the antenna, the reception is very bad and keep blinking . I tried to extend the antenna to window but to no avail..

My hall tv , HD ready, no antenna booster and antenna in the hall only also no reception problem.

Box got problem with the hdmi output or what?

Haiz

I bought a DVB box for my room tv not digital ready. The box comes with an active antenna.

When I use the AV cable and place the antenna just in front of the tv, I got a good reception.

But when I switch to hdmi cable, without adjusting the antenna, the reception is very bad and keep blinking . I tried to extend the antenna to window but to no avail..

My hall tv , HD ready, no antenna booster and antenna in the hall only also no reception problem.

Haiz

For your bedroom, it could be a problem with the HDMI cable, the HDMI port on the room tv or HDMI output on the DVB box.

For the hall tv, not too sure of your description.

Think I will get another box and antenna for my room. I couldn't get some channels in my room when I tried last year (tried with the one I was passing to my mum)

Bought another box to try for my room. Same issue. can't receive channel 8.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-what-dvb-t2-why-should-i-care/what-equipment-do-i-need-receive-digital-tv

Point 2 may be relevant.

I have a Panasonic LED that can receive certain digital channels only, so its Digital but probably not DVB-T2. Looks like I have to get a DVB-T2 set up box and indoor antenna for that LED.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-what-dvb-t2-why-should-i-care/what-equipment-do-i-need-receive-digital-tv

Point 2 may be relevant.

I have a Panasonic LED that can receive certain digital channels only, so its Digital but probably not DVB-T2. Looks like I have to get a DVB-T2 set up box and indoor antenna for that LED.

The set top box I'm using should be dvbt2 already leh.

I'm not just using the antenna

Edited by Lala81

The set top box I'm using should be dvbt2 already leh.

I'm not just using the antenna

hmmm ... was told got active and passive antenna. whatever that means. 

have not gotten into this in detail myself so my knowledge is limited at this juncture.

for me, I am probably looking at both T2 box and indoor antenna. Later then I read up more about this active and passive antenna thingy.

• Praise 1

I am curious, why HDB just don't install a single antenna at each block's roof and feel single through already installed cabling instead of making many households to but multiple digital box set for each tv on their home.

Doesn't appear to make economical sense.

• Praise 3

I am curious, why HDB just don't install a single antenna at each block's roof and feel single through already installed cabling instead of making many households to but multiple digital box set for each tv on their home.

its even more bewildering considering all hdb units are already connected by fibre optic.

all i can think of is the technology when this was planned 5-7 years ago has outpaced the current plan.

• Praise 1

Haiz

From your description, most probably is the hdmi output or hdmi cable having problems. Try another hdmi cable else claim warranty if still have.

its even more bewildering considering all hdb units are already connected by fibre optic.

all i can think of is the technology when this was planned 5-7 years ago has outpaced the current plan.

This whole antenna thing makes me think that we have gone back to the old days when we put antenna outside the house to get malaysia channels to watch soccer or shows.

Gotta keep adjusti some more.

Gotta agree that HDB should just install antenna on the roof and use current setup to let us watch digital tv(not that I’m that interested in their shows).

I got my DVB T-2 box from Qoo10 and it works well, slightly less than $30 with home delivery. Close to 2000 reviews from customers.

https://www.qoo10.sg/item/DVB-T2-MEDIACORP-DIGITAL-RECEIVER-NEW-K2-DVB-T2-HOT-SALE-SPRING/425687059?selectedOptions=;;

hmmm ... was told got active and passive antenna. whatever that means. 

have not gotten into this in detail myself so my knowledge is limited at this juncture.

for me, I am probably looking at both T2 box and indoor antenna. Later then I read up more about this active and passive antenna thingy.

I'm using passive antenna for 3 TVs, all can receive good quality channels. 

• Praise 1

Please help me understand.

So in times to come, the socket on the wall will become redundant as we need to buy a passive antenna and convert it to digital signal with DVB T2 box?

Please help me understand.

So in times to come, the socket on the wall will become redundant as we need to buy a passive antenna and convert it to digital signal with DVB T2 box?

Yes socket redundant. 

1) with cable tv subscription - no need do anything as the box is already HD

2) Normal older generation TV without built-in DVBT2 - need to get the box

3) Newer generation TV with built-in DVBT2 - just get DVBT2 antenna will do

Hope this helps

• Praise 4

maybe its not HDB's job to do so ?

I got my DVB T-2 box from Qoo10 and it works well, slightly less than $30 with home delivery. Close to 2000 reviews from customers.

what i did is just simply reuse my old expired Dreambox and my local HD channels are in digital format.

• Praise 1

Yes socket redundant.

1) with cable tv subscription - no need do anything as the box is already HD

2) Normal older generation TV without built-in DVBT2 - need to get the box

3) Newer generation TV with built-in DVBT2 - just get DVBT2 antenna will do

Hope this helps

Thanks bro for the heads up.

I use a tv box but it's not from ST or SH, and I realized that the signal is still in analogue. So I guess these boxes are not feasible for digital signal.

↡ Advertisement