Running Shoes - Are expensive running shoes a waste of money

Scb11980

It is call forefoot strike hor. Try running with your toe.

Ballet dancers do run this way. Seen before on TV.
↡ Advertisement

I feel that have to get gradually used to no heel striking.

Once u run with no heel striking, there's a lot of stress on your knee ligaments. Have to slowly train up to get used to it.

My advice is that minimal cushioning shoes, should start by wearing them to walk around before running with them.

Fore strike should reduce stresses to the knee. For newbie, it is the calf muscle that get strained and sore. But this is alright since it is muscle sore, it will recover and get better than before.

Walking won't help in "getting used to" minimalist shoes. Run in it is still the best way and going thru the sore in calf muscles. We are already walking with minimalist footwear in our slippers or sandals. Not helping with running in them.

• Praise 1

Profits for shoes is obscenely high. Believe or not.

Gone thru the buy expensive shoes phase to buying cheapo out of season shoes. After being a minimalist runner and a forestriker, I am not choosy with shoes anymore. Cheap shoes and a can of contact adhesive is all I need for the shoe to last. Even if the rubber bottom is worn out, I will still run in it.

No need bare foot. Just a means to protect your feet from cuts, just get anything that looks good for your taste and reasonably comfortable. Don't believe in all the branded BS.

Even Vibram fivefinger also cost a bomb le.

Fore strike should reduce stresses to the knee. For newbie, it is the calf muscle that get strained and sore. But this is alright since it is muscle sore, it will recover and get better than before.

Walking won't help in "getting used to" minimalist shoes. Run in it is still the best way and going thru the sore in calf muscles. We are already walking with minimalist footwear in our slippers or sandals. Not helping with running in them.

hmm for me, i feel that my knee gets strained. But i guess, I don't really run completely correctly.

I jog aiming to come down on my midfoot and roll forward to my forefoot.

You're the serious runner. Lol i don't have additional comments.

I only did this (going to more minimalistic shoes) to relieve my plantar fasciitis. 

Even Vibram fivefinger also cost a bomb le.

china got cloth shoes right? haha should be best  [laugh]

I said I don't believe in all the branded BS. [laugh] If must buy, look for those out of season stock, even if sell at 80% or 90% discount and I tell you they still make a profit. [laugh]

i feel that if u are going to run a lot and destroy the shoe in 1 year it's ok.

But often the adhesive between the sole and the shoe tends to wear down quite fast if u are using the shoe casually after 1-2 years. Superglue etc doesnt seem to work well.

hmm for me, i feel that my knee gets strained. But i guess, I don't really run completely correctly.

I jog aiming to come down on my midfoot and roll forward to my forefoot.

You're the serious runner. Lol i don't have additional comments.

I only did this (going to more minimalistic shoes) to relieve my plantar fasciitis. 

china got cloth shoes right? haha should be best  [laugh]

I was taught this running method.

1. Tilt your body forward, from the ankles

2. Catch your step when u tilt forward.

3. Take small steps and use your hamstrings to lift your knee; Soft calves, i.e. do NOT push off, take small steps. 

The key is to let the quads n hamstrings do all the work. Let the big muscles do all the work. So, smaller muscles like shins and calves do less.

4. Elbows point backwards ,like jabbing somebody, instead of moving forwards

5. When on an upslope, jab arms forward to the chin.

6. When on a downhill, just “sit back” on your hamstrings.

7. Lean forward, arms jab backwards for balance.

8. People at the back must be able to see the soles of your feet at all times.

When you want to go faster, just tilt your body forward more. slower, tilt back to an almost straight position.

If you can imagine, the front of your foot lands just underneath your centre of gravity, you will feel like rolling and not bouncing or stretching your legs.

Edited by Mason016

3. Take small steps and use your hamstrings to lift your knee; Soft calves, i.e. do NOT push off, take small steps. 

The key is to let the quads n hamstrings do all the work. Let the big muscles do all the work. So, smaller muscles like shins and calves do less.

5. When on an upslope, jab arms forward to the chin.

When you want to go faster, just tilt your body forward more. slower, tilt back to an almost straight position.

If you can imagine, the front of your foot lands just underneath your centre of gravity, you will feel like rolling and not bouncing or stretching your legs.

haha ok. I'm one of the worst runners possible.

My lung capacity only 70% estimated. No need to teach me so much. I can't even do a 5km endurance run even at my peak.

But often the adhesive between the sole and the shoe tends to wear down quite fast if u are using the shoe casually after 1-2 years. Superglue etc doesnt seem to work well.

Check my previous post to Roadrunner. A can of contact cement with proper application procedure will extend the life of your shoes. Super glue is not recommended for joints that are dynamic and flexing, they are brittle. Contact cement are elastic.

5. When on an upslope, jab arms forward to the chin.

When you want to go faster, just tilt your body forward more. slower, tilt back to an almost straight position.

Tilt body forward to run faster, tilt back to slow down. Sounds like riding a sageway. Lol
  • Praise 1

Check my previous post to Roadrunner. A can of contact cement with proper application procedure will extend the life of your shoes. Super glue is not recommended for joints that are dynamic and flexing, they are brittle. Contact cement are elastic.

Tilt body forward to run faster, tilt back to slow down. Sounds like riding a sageway. Lol

ah thanks, one of the questions i never really understood is now answered!

But my nike free, the soles don't come loose for some reason.

I've used them for pretty long liao. 8 years? (but i hardly exercise lol)

Edited by Lala81

Now all the branded shoes are built to last about 3 yr only, and 5 yr max, if you're lucky.

Gone are the days when a pair of shoes can last 10 yr... I remember that I took so long to save up for a pair of Puma jogging shoes when in sec 3, then treated it with so much care and wore it only for special occasions. Then even during NS days, it was still not very old-looking or worn out, and i wore it more during my univ days, until finally the outsoles all worn out and the top also tore. The outsoles while worn out during to wear and tear, was still securely attached to the shoe body.

Some years ago, i bought a pair of Saucony jogging shoes at a warehouse sale for my father. He wore it sparingly (just a few times) in the first 8 mth. Then he wore it when we went Genting, and after one night, the whole outsole came out!!!

Now all the branded shoes are built to last about 3 yr only, and 5 yr max, if you're lucky.

Gone are the days when a pair of shoes can last 10 yr... I remember that I took so long to save up for a pair of Puma jogging shoes when in sec 3, then treated it with so much care and wore it only for special occasions. Then even during NS days, it was still not very old-looking or worn out, and i wore it more during my univ days, until finally the outsoles all worn out and the top also tore. The outsoles while worn out during to wear and tear, was still securely attached to the shoe body.

Some years ago, i bought a pair of Saucony jogging shoes at a warehouse sale for my father. He wore it sparingly (just a few times) in the first 8 mth. Then he wore it when we went Genting, and after one night, the whole outsole came out!!!

that's been what i experienced as well along with my family members.

For pple like Ender, one shoe doesn't last long cos they run so regularly. For me, if u are a casual wearer for example holidays, or exercise once every few weeks. buy a new model. Really makes a difference in terms of shoe life.

Or just buy SAF jogging shoes lol. Or buy in malaysia.

But can self apply contact adhesive like what Ender suggests.

Edited by Lala81

I said I don't believe in all the branded BS. [laugh] If must buy, look for those out of season stock, even if sell at 80% or 90% discount and I tell you they still make a profit. [laugh]

For running shoe, i will not buy Singapore out of season.  It is very likely to be CMI for running.

I don't want to get injury because of bad shoe.

True. Buy direct from US, every season got out of season.

That's what i have been doing for the past few years.  Nowadays, no longer as cheap as before with USD appreciation.

Profits for shoes is obscenely high. Believe or not.

yes.............but they get obsoleted very quickly............and size breaks  very fast............their economic value last something like 3-6 months only.................after that is mark down bin liao.............although the actual shelf life can be about 2 years............ [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]   

For running shoe, i will not buy Singapore out of season. It is very likely to be CMI for running.

I don't want to get injury because of bad shoe.

LOL, I get most of my out of season shoes in Singapore. A can of contact cement helps in prolonging it's life span.
  • Praise 1

thinking of trying out forefoot running with a pair of normal running shoes..............and barefoot running.........................bought a pair of skin shoes to try...........have not started yet tho............mayb go try out sometime this week............. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

post-65783-0-70706900-1478503865_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement