Turbocharged

Drink water and holding my breath don't work for me........ [:(]

↡ Advertisement

ask someone to give you a fright from behind [laugh] [laugh]

lol...does it work? [laugh]

TEN WAYS TO QUICKLY GET RID OF HICCUPS

Mar 7, 2011 | By Debby Mayne

Laughter, hot and spicy food, eating too quickly and eating too much are some of the culprits that may cause hiccups. This involuntary jerking action happens when the diaphragm becomes irritated. Most of the time, hiccups will subside on their own and only last a few minutes. More severe cases may continue for hours, days or even weeks. If it continues more than a few hours, seek medical help from your doctor because it could be a sign of something more serious.

USE A PAPER BAG

One way to stop hiccups is to exhale and inhale into a small paper bag. This will increase the carbon dioxide in the blood, which may lower the sensitivity of one of the nerves in the brain, the vagus nerve, which affects the diaphragm.

DRINK WATER

Slowly drink water while holding your breath for about 10 seconds. This also helps increase the carbon dioxide levels.

HOLD YOUR BREATH

If you don't have a paper bag or a glass of water available, simply hold your breath. Try this several times for 10 seconds each time.

DRINK ICE COLD WATER

Prepare an ice cold glass of water and slowly drink it. According to an article on Healthscout, the quick change in temperature in the esophagus may stop the hiccups.

BE SCARED

Have someone jump out and scare you. The unexpected action may force you to constrict your diaphragm, disrupting the pattern of hiccups.

SWALLOW SUGAR

Swallow a teaspoon of sugar, and you may be able to get rid of hiccups. The theory behind this is that it affects the vegus nerve, which causes the diaphragm to constrict. Some people claim that you should put the sugar on the back of the tongue, and others recommend putting it under the tongue.

GARGLE

Gargling will prevent inhaling, which will elevate the carbon dioxide in your blood. Gargle alternately with ice water and warm water to change the temperature of some of the nerves, making this a two-prong approach to ridding yourself of the hiccups.

EAT PEANUT BUTTER

Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter. The stickiness of it will force you to swallow hard, which will disrupt the hiccup pattern.

COUGH OR SNEEZE

Coughing and sneezing will cause the diaphragm to constrict. This breaks the pattern of hiccups and may stop them.

INHALE AND SWALLOW

Take a deep breath until you don't think you can inhale any more. Swallow without letting the air out of your lungs. Then try to take in just a tad more air and swallow again. This combined action changes the ratio of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood and disrupts the pattern of the hiccups.

(edited)

This works for me:

Hold your breath. Count to 10. Without releasing, breathe in some more and count again to 10. Repeat the breathing in more and counting until really cannot tahan then release.

Repeat a few times and it should work.

Good luck!

Just saw post #8.....last tip....inhale and swallow. Same method as mine but need to swallow.

Edited by Elmo

The latter, you forgot to add 1 more action :

Hold Breath and increase Pressure of the Air in your Throat as much as possible.

This will help reset your system.

ask someone to give you a fright from behind [laugh] [laugh]

This one will probably give someone a heart attack and cure the hiccups permanently :D

Brudder, don't bother drinking water. Just cup your ears with your palms, to make it slightly airtight and hold your breathe.

Works like magic! [cool]

Drink a normal mouthful of water, hold it inside, bend over until your mouth is at the level of your stomach then swallow the water.

It'll stop your hiccups immediately! try it.

put a rice bowl on top of your head and use chopsticks and knock several times.

ops...is this for hiccup or choke?

put a rice bowl on top of your head and use chopsticks and knock several times.

ops...is this for hiccup or choke?

Your remedy is like playing music for wayang leh. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement