Stiff Ring - Good to have?

Subutai

Hi Guys,

Need your inputs and thoughts of this product that is micmicking Spoon's Rigid Collar. Do you think this is a good add-on regardless of either Stiff Ring or Rigid Collar?

Quote : Stiff Ring

Stiff Ring, aka anti-vibration washer, is made of special formula aluminium. It is used to correct the car body basic geometry by filling the gap between the subframe bolts, subframe and the car chassis bolt hole. Thus, by correcting the geometry setup with Stiff Ring, the car handling will be improved significantly.

Picture-224-640x407.jpg

Rigid Collar - Youtube video

↡ Advertisement

Oh that kind of stiff ring!

I thot you meant the other kind,

didn't do anything for me but the wife

loves it.

:D

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Sounds like a good investment for better handling but I suspect it may result in a harsher ride (more vibration being transmitted into the cabin).

I would suggest getting it installed in a reputable workshop and get your suspension alignment checked again after installation. I forsee it will mess up your suspension geometry if not installed & torqued properly.

Cheers

• Praise 2

loves it.

Bro... wrong forum liao leh

• Praise 1

I installed stiff ring (only front) for my ride a month ago and really love it. Just read the review of other bros at Civic FD forum and I guess it must be quite a good mod so just went for it and never regret. Improved handling a lot and steering is very stable. Still cannot make up my mind if I should also install the rear set since I hardly have any passangers.

In fact supposed to go for wheel alignment after installed the stiff ring but do not have the time for it yet. Guess I will just do it when I change my rims.

if you are keen, can check whether SKM (at first east center) carry the stiff ring for your ride.

I installed stiff ring (only front) for my ride a month ago and really love it. Just read the review of other bros at Civic FD forum and I guess it must be quite a good mod so just went for it and never regret. Improved handling a lot and steering is very stable. Still cannot make up my mind if I should also install the rear set since I hardly have any passangers.

In fact supposed to go for wheel alignment after installed the stiff ring but do not have the time for it yet. Guess I will just do it when I change my rims.

if you are keen, can check whether SKM (at first east center) carry the stiff ring for your ride.

Thanks.. called them and the price is steep. There is a group buy in VOGS and the price is very attractive.

Supersonic

loves it.

Your DNS must be sumting wong. You keep typing SBF, it keeps redirecting you to MCF [:p]

• Praise 2

Technically it's a SPACER.

Paid video advestiment is highly bias. In Mechanical Stds mounting bolts which are 2 size smaller are not acceptable practice. It could lead to alignment issues between GB and engine. It will take much longer time to complete alignment tasks than putting in correctly sized bolts.

Bi-metallic corrosion effect. Unless all the materials are the same type. Bolting aluminium and steel materials will cause bi-metallic corrosion.

Better keep our hard earn money for uncertainties ahead.

Hypersonic

Your DNS must be sumting wong. You keep typing SBF, it keeps redirecting you to MCF [:p]

Very sorry!

I think my computer got too excited!

Hi... Thanks for inputs. I read as below linked.

Do you know what metal is used to make the car chassis? I know stiff ring is Aluminum.

Quote: "To complete the cell, a conductive liquid must bridge the contact metals.

The more electrically conductive the liquid is, the greater the danger of corrosion. Seawater or salt laden moist air is more of a risk than contact with rain water or towns water."

Quote " Methods of Reducing Corrosion resulting from Galvanic Corrosion

Where contact between dissimilar metals cannot be avoided the following steps should be considered

-Select metals that are close together in the galvanic series for the relevant environment

-Avoid relatively small areas of the less noble metal and large areas of the more noble metal

-Insulate the metals from each other

-Exclude electrolyte from around the bimetallic junction e.g painting

-Paint both metals where possible: if impractical paint the most noble metal

-Provide additional corrosion allowance on the less noble metal

-Apply compatible metal or sacrificial metal coatings

-If electrical insulation is used to minimise the risk, then test for the insulation quality as part of maintenance regime "

Article on Bi-metallic corrosion 1

Article on Boi-Metallic corrosion 2

it will get loose very often.

u get undercarriage funny sound often.

when installing do get them to apply some heavy duty lock tight and torque back

Am I missing something here? What is the hype about an aluminium spacer? From the diagram, it works the same as a $0.20 spacer and worse still it changes the original designed / intended geometry of the suspension system (albeit not by much).

Also, how can we "correct the car body basic geometry by filling the gap between the subframe bolts.....". does this mean all new cars are not optimally designed and people like you and me (and other farmers) can buy this "stiff ring" to improve the design of the car suspension system? I think most (if not all) of the engineers working in car manufacture/design dept, will be very hurt.

Turbocharged

a

Am I missing something here? What is the hype about an aluminium spacer? From the diagram, it works the same as a $0.20 spacer and worse still it changes the original designed / intended geometry of the suspension system (albeit not by much).

Also, how can we "correct the car body basic geometry by filling the gap between the subframe bolts.....". does this mean all new cars are not optimally designed and people like you and me (and other farmers) can buy this "stiff ring" to improve the design of the car suspension system? I think most (if not all) of the engineers working in car manufacture/design dept, will be very hurt.

Well, just like a simple magnet Can help you save petrol where all car maker don't think of that after spending mills on r&d...

Well maybe this video will have a better explaination,

Its just a theory on how it works and what is it suppose to do, Whether it works or not is another issue, Only those that have installed it will know.

a

Well, just like a simple magnet Can help you save petrol where all car maker don't think of that after spending mills on r&d...

The magnet is a hype. If it's proven, why isn't this built into the fuel pump or the lines right before the injectors?

↡ Advertisement