What gives an non approved exhaust away

Calvinus

If I have one of those uncommon models of cars where they do not sell approved aftermarket exhausts, if the installed aftermarket exhaust looks similar to the original oem one, what would give me away?

For those that have been caught before, what do LTA look out for? the sound? size? or are they so familiar with various types of exhausts that they can tell straight away?

↡ Advertisement

Wat exactly happened to yr original xos tat make u want to change? U sure this aftermarket xos look n sounds exactly the same as original? There's no point cheating the authority they inspect hundreds of vehicles everyday, they know if yrs is modded.

Generally for performance reasons... Of course I won't even know if there will be a performance improvement...

Look at those non-modified Evo or Wrx, or M3 or AMG, these cars no mod, it is like normal car. Exhaust sound quite soft too. But if you mod it, you'll hear the difference. Even if sound remains the same, the smell will also give you away. Normal cat car should not have exhaust smell except just started the engine. Safest is change exhaust, change to those that is quiet.

Look at those non-modified Evo or Wrx, or M3 or AMG, these cars no mod, it is like normal car. Exhaust sound quite soft too. But if you mod it, you'll hear the difference. Even if sound remains the same, the smell will also give you away. Normal cat car should not have exhaust smell except just started the engine. Safest is change exhaust, change to those that is quiet.

its the brassy sound that improves the bhp (needs good imagination + self denial + lots of conviction)

if quiet, might as well don't mod.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

If you want loud and bassy exhaust, get those big ones that look exactly like HKS. TP won't be able to tell whether it is legal unless they stop your car to check the exhaust cert.

If you just want power for your car, get those original looking exhaust with silencer. That way TP won't be able to notice your mod [:p]

The illegal exhaust risk is yours.

You buy it, you risk it.

definitely sound is the first giveaway. but seriously driving ard w an illegal exhaust, i thk u shd jus chuck a S$500 in your glove drawer somewhere.

If I have one of those uncommon models of cars where they do not sell approved aftermarket exhausts, if the installed aftermarket exhaust looks similar to the original oem one, what would give me away?

For those that have been caught before, what do LTA look out for? the sound? size? or are they so familiar with various types of exhausts that they can tell straight away?

Bugatti Veyron?

Generally for performance reasons... Of course I won't even know if there will be a performance improvement...

If you want performance improvement then the whole exo system needs to be mod from extractor all the way to muffler. For it to look the same, just by looking at the rear without hoisting the car, the diameter, at the tip, will be as small and restrictive as stock. So no point.

If you just want a better flow, with everything else looking the same, you can only go for straight-thru, no CAT, no silencer but that will result in loud sound and smelly exhaust. Also no point.

And in the end if you managed to mod all the exo parts, you still have to tune your car else your car can't realise the improvement too.

I will just go for a nice exo tip and enjoy the improved look. LTA and wallet friendly.

Good tip with regards to the Exos Tip :)

I am a relatively new car owner and have been bitten by the "must mod" bug... luckily my suzuki sx4 does not offer me much in terms of "legal" options...

Neutral Newbie

Not just LTA. You still need to go for the inspection at vicom, STA etc...how to pass..

Good tip with regards to the Exos Tip :)

I am a relatively new car owner and have been bitten by the "must mod" bug... luckily my suzuki sx4 does not offer me much in terms of "legal" options...

You were earlier asking about the HKS which was made for Odyssey right? I understand how you feel. The stock exo for most cars just look too puny.

Your SX4 has quite a rugged look which will look better with a bigger muffler tip. The only thing about muffler tips is that they are screwed on the stock pipe so it can look pretty obvious with the double rim. If you can find one that is slightly longer but do not extend beyond your bumper, it should look better. Anyway, Autobacs has quite a big range of tips which imo are the better looking ones.

Taking a step further, you can also check out those body kit shops to customise your rear bumper so it can have 2 exo tips outlet or a more protruding bumper so you can put on a nice big tip without the original pipe being so obvious. Saw it being done on Swift (non Sports) and Avantes with not bad results.

I didn't see the odyssey one but there are a few fierce options from Sunline, Suzuki sports, etc that is designed for the swift sports model that has the same engine installed, based on the shape of the muffler, I gathered that it would fit.

There is also a Fujitsubo one that is made for the SX4, it looks exactly like stock based on pictures...

Bodykits for SX4 is rather rare....

Twincharged

Actually an aftermarket exhausts will give out less low end torque,means not so good pick up.

Neutral Newbie

Actually an aftermarket exhausts will give out less low end torque,means not so good pick up.

depends on the flow pattern and piping diameter. Most of the time gain top end. [blush]

Twincharged

depends on the flow pattern and piping diameter. Most of the time gain top end. [blush]

Agreed,only top end gain.!But do you need top end of the revs in our roads.?????

↡ Advertisement