Singaporeans lose jobs to FTs

Scion

Turbocharged

- tour guides generally dun earn alot, and even so, they are being forced out of jobs by the bogus FTs

Some sectors are hit very hard since 10 years ago, just get use to it pal.

↡ Advertisement

ar bo then?

u think can suka suka come here on s-pass and moonlight in other jobs? (on second thoughts, if the authority is sleeping, why not?)

if our singaporean students, studying at australia, work part-time as unlicensed tour guides there, and tell the tourists australians are descendants of kangaroos, how will the australians feel?

Just ban these foreign jokers. Don't know what so difficult.

http://www.safarilands.org/index.php/safar...gn_tour_guides/

impose heavy punishment on those tour agency better. something along the line of ban their license. [:p]

finally someone w something constructive....

4th Gear

finally someone w something constructive....

Might not be effective.....my friend who is a local guide told me that many of the agencies bosses have several companies and sometimes they just open another one when one closed down due to some reasons.

We're not alone, my first visit to Taiwan abt 15 yrs ago, my "Taiwan" guide was actually a part-time student from Indonesia. [lipsrsealed]

Turbocharged
(edited)

Might not be effective.....my friend who is a local guide told me that many of the agencies bosses have several companies and sometimes they just open another one when one closed down due to some reasons.

We're not alone, my first visit to Taiwan abt 15 yrs ago, my "Taiwan" guide was actually a part-time student from Indonesia. [lipsrsealed]

if we make getting the tour agency license a very hard affair, it might just work.

Edited by Joseph22

If you have this hung all over the opening of Gardens by the Bay, you know this is no longer your home [bigcry]

wtf :o

Well as much as we hate it, supply=demand , i won't be surprise tourists would prefer their own locals to be conversing with them in their language during the tour , resulting in this situation

heard this news on the radio, so decided to search for the full story online... but only Straits Times and Channelnewsasia covered it

the local tour guides, although many of them are free lancing, are badly treated by Singapore Tourism Board

many foreigners, on S-passes, come here to moonlight as tour guides, charging cheaper fees and forcing our own local ones out of jobs

despite years of complains, the situation does not improve

the bogus foreign tour guides have no qualifications (the local ones need to go through 9 months of trainings) and they have limited knowledge of our country (sometimes providing wrong information to the tourists, eg saying we are the descendants of Merlion according to legends)

of cos, the tour agencies play a part as they are usually the ones hiring the tour guides

personally after listening to their plights, i feel it's a sad thing because

- tour guides generally dun earn alot, and even so, they are being forced out of jobs by the bogus FTs

- the authority is sleeping and not protecting the interests of the local tour guides

- most importantly, tour guides are like unofficial ambassadors responsible in introducing our country, history and culture to the tourists... how can this role be taken by foreigners with limited knowledge?

haiz... <_<[:(][mad]

NTUC launches new chapter to safeguard rights of tourist guides

Published on Jul 2, 2012

By lua jia min

The National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) officially launched the Tourist Guide Chapter (TGC) on July 2 to better protect the workplace rights of licensed tourist guides in Singapore.

The chapter, which is under the Attractions, Resorts and Entertainment Union, was organised in July last year to prevent illegal tourist guide practices while also upgrading members' skills through familliarisation tours at attractions such as the Marina City Gallery and Maritime Experiential Museum and Aquarium.

The TGC also hopes to encourage older Singaporeans and back-to-work women to join the tourist guide industry.

The NTUC estimates that there are currently 2,600 licensed tour guides in Singapore.

I saw the news few weeks ago. It seems like the local tour guides are badly treated..

One of the tour guide being interviewed was suggesting Singapore to follow Malaysia (if I not wrong) way of doing is all oversea tour must employ one local tour guide. I think this make sense. [:)]

I saw the news few weeks ago. It seems like the local tour guides are badly treated..

One of the tour guide being interviewed was suggesting Singapore to follow Malaysia (if I not wrong) way of doing is all oversea tour must employ one local tour guide. I think this make sense. [:)]

do you think it will work here if gov welcome FT to SG ... -_-

Why don't STPB follow the footsteps of MOE...... -_-

Employ those retirees from Army, Police or SCDF or any other Ministries as they all live long enough to know the history of Singapore and better still, they had served their services to SG. Time to pay them back.

Gave them the second career after retirement just like MOE did when employing Army or Police retirees as 'Operations Manager' ... [smash]

Supersonic

do you think it will work here if gov welcome FT to SG ... -_-

Triple confirmed doesnt work here, since the garment here 101% support and welcome FTs. -_-

↡ Advertisement