Electric Power Steering query

CMS

Clutched

I am driving a Cerato Forte that comes with EPS. Each time when I make a turn, be it left, right or U turn, the steering wheel is very slow in centering itself. I have to counter steer back fast to avoid any collision.

Also, when I turned my steering wheel when making a turn, the ratio that I turn my steering wheel and the ratio that my tyres turn is not consistent, it causes understeer. I got to turn my steering more in order to negotiate that turn. Is there anyway to adjust the steering ratio??? If yes, where to do it. ???

My mileage is 85k now. Any idea wat is wrong with the steering problem???

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Clutched

TS how come u post another time after your last thread

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...77697&st=10

The last post by watwheels pretty much sums your "problem" about the steering wheel's turn ratio, which in fact isn't a problem at all.

This time round it's because I have query on the steering wheel is slow in self centering which is not brought up in my previous thread. Both thread looks similar but in fact the query posted is of different nature although it is related to steering wheel

This time round it's because I have query on the steering wheel is slow in self centering which is not brought up in my previous thread. Both thread looks similar but in fact the query posted is of different nature although it is related to steering wheel

EPS' self-centering is always described as slow, no feel, dead, wooden etc. ..... when compared to the much more responsive HPS - where a driver can literally let go of the steering wheel (if at sufficient rpm) and it will spin itself back, with the front wheels pointing back to straight ahead direction, due to natural, gyroscopic force.

But such is the profit-driven, cost-cutting measures that car manufacturers have taken and EPS in now becoming more rampant ... even in non-entry models!

Take my 3L MBC (HPS) and wife's C180K (with Perimeter Steering - MB speak for EPS).

I like the former's so-natural steering feel but not the latter (newer model).

Similarly EPS is one of those things I truly dislike of the new BMW F10 incarnation.

Still prefer the ol' BMW steering feel with HPS.

But the lightest, no-feeling, SEGA game-type, EPS experience has to go to the FIAT/AR new model range.

Yuck IMHO.

Twincharged

I am driving a Cerato Forte that comes with EPS. Each time when I make a turn, be it left, right or U turn, the steering wheel is very slow in centering itself. I have to counter steer back fast to avoid any collision.

Also, when I turned my steering wheel when making a turn, the ratio that I turn my steering wheel and the ratio that my tyres turn is not consistent, it causes understeer. I got to turn my steering more in order to negotiate that turn. Is there anyway to adjust the steering ratio??? If yes, where to do it. ???

My mileage is 85k now. Any idea wat is wrong with the steering problem???

Thanks

Only BMW's Active steering can 'adjust' the ratio itself,maybe you need to check the front tyres air pressure,can it be too low.??

Clutched

EPS' self-centering is always described as slow, no feel, dead, wooden etc. ..... when compared to the much more responsive HPS - where a driver can literally let go of the steering wheel (if at sufficient rpm) and it will spin itself back, with the front wheels pointing back to straight ahead direction, due to natural, gyroscopic force.

But such is the profit-driven, cost-cutting measures that car manufacturers have taken and EPS in now becoming more rampant ... even in non-entry models!

Take my 3L MBC (HPS) and wife's C180K (with Perimeter Steering - MB speak for EPS).

I like the former's so-natural steering feel but not the latter (newer model).

Similarly EPS is one of those things I truly dislike of the new BMW F10 incarnation.

Still prefer the ol' BMW steering feel with HPS.

But the lightest, no-feeling, SEGA game-type, EPS experience has to go to the FIAT/AR new model range.

Yuck IMHO.

I have the same thought as you.... Y......U.......C.......K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are trying to get rid of this "steering thingy" to cut cost further. There will not be physical link from your steering wheel to the drive shaft, like e-throttle concept.

Neutral Newbie

My Fiat uses EPS, which is extremely light. Never had a self-centering issue during/after a turn. I just gradually let go of the wheel about 3/4 through the turn and it goes back straight. Even U-turns also no problems.

Do u do your turns at very slow speeds like 5-10km/h?

↡ Advertisement