Electric cars

Expertz

Be patient and you'll be rewarded.

In 10 years, maybe, we'll have a higher chance to see electric cars. maybe.

By then, EV may be obsolete technologies. As fuel cell technologies is developing rapidly.

So the cycle goes on and on. Tech development = test and trials.... At the end still on fussil fuel.

↡ Advertisement

The tax system will kill it...to at least based it on KW to CC comparision.

Just like how the gov tax the rotary engine.

I would love to have a electric car that can do 0-100km/hr in 5secs. But I am sure the tax will make it on par with a normal car, untill it's never justifiable for normal car buyer.

Even the current trial electric cars, without the need to pay COE already the final electric car price is more than a normal car with COE!!

Being a fair country for all vehicles, electric cars will have a hard time to gain acceptance.

If gov is serious....start with electric motorcycle.....and relax the rule on electric bicycle(allow high power).

• Praise 1

well considering singapore driving, normal household plugs will do for us. contrary to what we hear in the news about how we need fast charging, the batteries charge quite fast for what we use, and we dont need fast charging stations.

stuck in a jam lagi better for electric vehicles. no such thing as idling "fuel" consumption for the engine, so you're not using power at all to stay there.

electricity wise, its much cheaper then petrol tax, so in the end it still pays off

Traffic jam still need to switch on air con. Air con need lots of power .

Maybe someone will invent manual charger. Keep cranking inside the car. Good exercise. Whole family can do it in the car.

Install cycling pedals for driver to ownself cycle to generate power during traffic jam [:)]

Be patient and you'll be rewarded.

In 10 years, maybe, we'll have a higher chance to see electric cars. maybe.

By then, EV may be obsolete technologies. As fuel cell technologies is developing rapidly.

So the cycle goes on and on. Tech development = test and trials.... At the end still on fussil fuel.

10 years probably in Singapore that is. I own a leaf and a Prius in the uk since last year. And hybrid is very normal in Europe. Ev started to pick up in the uk since last year because more options.

It's all depend on the local governor. If they really want to promote themselves as Eco friendly then they need to do more. Even the local dealer making a killing since thats no import tax & coe the Nissan leaf cost $88k. I only pay

• Praise 1

1st Gear

The only time EV will be made available locally is when the bulletproof EV regulating & taxation system is released, to say the least.

To make it (or even the whole transport system) really self sustain and make any green sense, power plants have to shift away from fuel base to renewable ones. We don't have solar, wind, geothermal, hydropower, or any of that sort.

Perhaps then, or somewhere along, the infrastructures start rolling in.

So it's a loong way before you can see EVs for public on the road.

• Praise 1

(edited)

EV? Not yet... unless government damn on the ball.

1. No proper infrastructure for charging of EV, imagine how much current needed to charge a typical MSCP full of EV, what about the outdoor carparks? How does one pay for the power? Who will build the charging points, who will lay the cable, who will supply the power, who will manage this, how will it be taxed (currently gasoline is taxed by govt, so should power for cars be same as household electricity?)

2. Power stations or national power supply might not be able to cope with increased demand, we may have to go nuclear

3. No proper taxation structure in place yet, or at least IMHO current tax structure (COE by engine capacity) is flawed. It should be incentivized by CO2 emissions (seems like coming in 2013) and be categorized by power output (bhp).

4. Political reasons, who will answer to the gasoline company and (I'm not sure, just thinking) there might be government investments in SPC

Edited by Detach8

The only time EV will be made available locally is when the bulletproof EV regulating & taxation system is released, to say the least.

To make it (or even the whole transport system) really self sustain and make any green sense, power plants have to shift away from fuel base to renewable ones. We don't have solar, wind, geothermal, hydropower, or any of that sort.

Perhaps then, or somewhere along, the infrastructures start rolling in.

So it's a loong way before you can see EVs for public on the road.

Talk about renewable energy. Singapore is perfect for solar panel, sunshine guarantee. I'm very surprise that the advancement of the solar technology and funny enough sunny island like Singapore don't take the advantage of the solar. Nuclear is the last resource where that's no other options. Places like upper atmosphere where solar are limited by season. France is the only country use the minimum of fossil fuel plant & full throttle on nuclear. That's why they are capable to claim the less co2 producer in Europe but watch out the France gozilla.

EV? Not yet... unless government damn on the ball.

1. No proper infrastructure for charging of EV, imagine how much current needed to charge a typical MSCP full of EV, what about the outdoor carparks? How does one pay for the power? Who will build the charging points, who will lay the cable, who will supply the power, who will manage this, how will it be taxed (currently gasoline is taxed by govt, so should power for cars be same as household electricity?)

2. Power stations or national power supply might not be able to cope with increased demand, we may have to go nuclear

3. No proper taxation structure in place yet, or at least IMHO current tax structure (COE by engine capacity) is flawed. It should be incentivized by CO2 emissions (seems like coming in 2013) and be categorized by power output (bhp).

4. Political reasons, who will answer to the gasoline company and (I'm not sure, just thinking) there might be government investments in SPC

1. Infrastructure is not that hard to build especially small area like Singapore. I'm too lazy to explain install charging point, just google "London charging point". I'm a member of the London ev charging point & it's only cost

(edited)

1. Infrastructure is not that hard to build especially small area like Singapore. I'm too lazy to explain install charging point, just google "London charging point". I'm a member of the London ev charging point & it's only cost

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

1st Gear

Talk about renewable energy. Singapore is perfect for solar panel, sunshine guarantee. I'm very surprise that the advancement of the solar technology and funny enough sunny island like Singapore don't take the advantage of the solar. Nuclear is the last resource where that's no other options. Places like upper atmosphere where solar are limited by season. France is the only country use the minimum of fossil fuel plant & full throttle on nuclear. That's why they are capable to claim the less co2 producer in Europe but watch out the France gozilla.

You mean northern hemisphere? ^_^

The distance between ideal and actual is often misjudged.

To fully replaced generated power to feed electricity consumption requires huge area for solar panels themselves. Huge area is something Singapore doesn't have, so solar power in such a scale is probably out of the question.

Nuclear might be feasible, but it's far from considered as green.

Hypersonic

usually wiki information are written for the caucasians who have cooler climates

i'm not sure if the batteries will lose their charge when constantly parked under 40deg sun

EV cars are already on trial, the renault fluence does seem to be a really nice car to me

Unless you are staying in landed property, you can forget about full electric car.

Also base on current battery technology, one fully charge will not last more than 150km distance for our local usage and to get fully charge is about 8hr.

You mean northern hemisphere? ^_^

The distance between ideal and actual is often misjudged.

To fully replaced generated power to feed electricity consumption requires huge area for solar panels themselves. Huge area is something Singapore doesn't have, so solar power in such a scale is probably out of the question.

Nuclear might be feasible, but it's far from considered as green.

Thank you for the correction. My sincerely apologies for my pant english. [:p]

Yes I greed on the mass area needed to accommodate solar panel. However its still viable in Singapore. Every time I drive a round and look at all these high rise HDB, apartment & office. Whats up there except air con machine. In fact you pretty much can cover the whole singapore with solar panel on all the building like top of the car parks, building, smrt station, bus stop, etc. Again nuclear is the last resource dont end up like japan.

Yes I greed on the mass area needed to accommodate solar panel. However its still viable in Singapore. Every time I drive a round and look at all these high rise HDB, apartment & office. Whats up there except air con machine. In fact you pretty much can cover the whole singapore with solar panel on all the building like top of the car parks, building, smrt station, bus stop, etc. Again nuclear is the last resource dont end up like japan.

No worries. ^_^

Smaller scale can always be done, in fact some company's roof top already have the solar panels to help save electricity costs. The scale i was referring is huge enough to sustain the need for transport system as well as others (industries, commercials, & public), which is basically able to replace the conventional fossil fueled power generator.

This is in consideration of power alternatives in anticipation as fossil fuel replacement which will eventually depleted (and same reason why EV was created in the first place).

Covering up building with solar panels is an idea, i won't say it's impossible but calculations and considerations will Have to be brought in. For one, one side of a building will limit the effectiveness to maximum of only 50% in capturing sun rays. The maintenance of wall mounted panel is more complicated and costly compare to roof mounting. The reflection or glares to the nearby building(s) might be an issue, etc.

With the ever increasing population and power consumption, and in the kiasu kiasi spirit, i hope that we don't have to go thru total power outages just because we're not prepared. [:(]

I am also waiting for the electric platform...... any1 knows where i can get good quality electric bicycle & racing carts .....

actually if they would just add a solar panel roof on top of our current cars, that'd be enough to power our aircons and radios which would be enough to save thousands of litres of fuel every month over an entire nation

plus it'll get people to park under the hot sun instead of driving in search of covered parking

actually if they would just add a solar panel roof on top of our current cars, that'd be enough to power our aircons and radios which would be enough to save thousands of litres of fuel every month over an entire nation

plus it'll get people to park under the hot sun instead of driving in search of covered parking

Its already exist on the Prius. Only not available in asia. I'm amaze that Singapore dealer dont consider this as a selling point. Borneo Motors take note my friend. :D This is what competition mean.

This is my uk fully loaded Prius. This option only cost

post-108537-1342224640_thumb.jpg

post-108537-1342224796_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement