Alfa 159 Part IV (any alfa discussion welcome too)

RadX

Can feel car vibrating above 100kph. When to balance the wheels and it was alright until it hit 130kph, the vibrating came back. I use to cruise stably even with speed above 180kph.

Any view what could be wrong? engine mount?

Can feel car vibrating above 100kph. When to balance the wheels and it was alright until it hit 130kph, the vibrating came back. I use to cruise stably even with speed above 180kph.

Drive shafts perhaps

Neutral Newbie

Last minute decision, did a breakfast run with Saabstance this morning to Tg Sutera (total dist. about 300km). Monica'd a chance to stretch her legs with swedish girls. Can't match them for outright power and torque of course. But good fun nonetheless [;)]

post-4903-1342883225_thumb.jpg

post-4903-1342883194_thumb.jpg

post-4903-1342883212_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Follow up from the point where my 159 coolant hose leaked, as reported in the Part 3 thread.

After some trouble shooting, Peter found some oil in the coolant tank (common?). This jams the thermostat and stops coolant circulation. The coolant boils up as it couldn't flow into the radiator and cool own, eventually expanding the hose and caused a tear

Peter removed the thermostat and coolant now circulates full-time. At highway speeds coolant temp hovers around 70C (was 90C), and oil temp now 90-100C (was 110C).

Probably now should monitor water pump as it works nonstop now.

Edited by Saiko

Follow up from the point where my 159 coolant hose leaked, as reported in the Part 3 thread.

After some trouble shooting, Peter found some oil in the coolant tank (common?). This jams the thermostat and stops coolant circulation. The coolant boils up as it couldn't flow into the radiator and cool own, eventually expanding the hose and caused a tear

Peter removed the thermostat and coolant now circulates full-time. At highway speeds coolant temp hovers around 70C (was 90C), and oil temp now 90-100C (was 110C).

Interesting .. have seen a couple of "oil in coolant" cases at Peter's over the years. My hose burst issue at about 80,000km was just wear & tear, and fixed under warranty. It wasn't a tear as can see the hose dangling and steaming coolant pouring out.

Your oil cooler may be the culprit, possibly a leak that let oil to get into the cooling system. This oil cooler uses the cooling system to manage the oil temperature. May replace it before more oil kills your radiator.

The water pump is connected direct to the engine crankshaft so it is suppose to be working full time as long as engine is running. The radiator thermostat is a valve that manage the coolant flow from engine to radiator where the heat is exchanged to the air. When the thermostat close, coolant circulates within engine to help warm up, opens when hot enough to flow into the radiator and cools. The process repeats. Without the thermostat, the coolant just flow continuously between engine and radiator and stay at a lower temperature.

Try high speed balancing.

Last minute decision, did a breakfast run with Saabstance this morning to Tg Sutera (total dist. about 300km). Monica'd a chance to stretch her legs with swedish girls. Can't match them for outright power and torque of course. But good fun nonetheless [;)]

I also went on a trip to malacca over the weekend, went to do alignment at a Michelin dealer. Steering is much better now, I think the first alignment was done too soon after my Eibach suspension change. It was pulling here and there after a while. I am having good experience with the tyre shops here, the boss himself did the adjustments and test drove over the long empty stretches. Saw some PS3s 225/50R17 94W going for about RM$700 each, not cheap but probably can be discounted if i was serious. My Goodyear D5 are still quite new, maybe next time..

Any loss of power? Got pull out your dipstick and check if the vice versa is true? (Water in oil coolant? Aka white-tish spots in oil?) If so, it could be blown gasket.

Guys, I've got an invite for a fashion charity show..and they wanted me to help organize some nice cars as backup props for the event. Was already thinking about Ferraris, Lambo and AMs but then again...nothing beats the sexiness of our AR! [inlove] ...will need volunteers for your hot cars for a few hours, but date/time yet to be firmed up...im negotiating for a complimentary grooming before the event, and wash after the event. so, do I see names??? [wave]

Guys, I've got an invite for a fashion charity show..and they wanted me to help organize some nice cars as backup props for the event. Was already thinking about Ferraris, Lambo and AMs but then again...nothing beats the sexiness of our AR! [inlove] ...will need volunteers for your hot cars for a few hours, but date/time yet to be firmed up...im negotiating for a complimentary grooming before the event, and wash after the event. so, do I see names??? [wave]

Im ok to help out

Oooo..... now that's going to sound sweet!

Well it sounds a little richer but the engine likes it (more responsive) - it aint loud thank goodness - mind you I havent redlined yet and perhaps the side "box" off the main box comes into play then?

(edited)

Give it some time for the "plastic" inside to melt off, after which it will release the damping material (if any) and then the note of the rumble will change... its possibly anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 months, considering your average annual milage :P

Also when its time to service, you can change out to a novitec filter or an oil-less air filter to see how your car responds, especially in the higher RPMs, Keeping all the other piping the same.

Edited by Saabretooth

Give it some time for the "plastic" inside to melt off, after which it will release the damping material (if any) and then the note of the rumble will change... its possibly anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 months, considering your average annual milage :P

Also when its time to service, you can change out to a novitec filter or an oil-less air filter to see how your car responds, especially in the higher RPMs, Keeping all the other piping the same.

Something like a K&N freeflow filter right?

↡ Advertisement