GS300 or Chevrolet Captiva

Anshng

I mean the longest is maybe 20 minutes. Thats why i think 1 day is quite long..Haha..Whether is nice to sit i dunno coz most of the time i am driving it as i don;t have a driver but i guess it should be nice to sit as well coz dun have the middle part in the back seat

I dont know whether all SUV same or not, but sitting behind really not very comfy. Could be due to the seat too high? [:/]

↡ Advertisement

I dont know whether all SUV same or not, but sitting behind really not very comfy. Could be due to the seat too high? [:/]

the only one that i know whereby the back seat is higher is the freelander. They call it something like stadium seat so that you can get a good view even when sitting behind

you want a 7-seater, then XC90... but avoid the T6 versions because they are know to have transmission troubles. but there are only used T6s now.

The T5 Polestar is a good option with increased power/torque from tuning, yet you get manufacturer's warranty. The 5 cylinder 2.5 litre engine sounds like a "proper" engine too. [:p]

most of the options you tested were all not 7-seaters -- other than the Captiva.

There's nothing wrong with the Captiva. It looks handsome and muscular, and will probably do the job for you. in terms of "brand snobbery" Volvo is a few ranks above Chevrolet. Not to mention build quality, fit and finishing... it's basically Korean vs Swedish -- including pricing and maintenance costs.

Edited by Kyojin

you want a 7-seater, then XC90... but avoid the T6 versions because they are know to have transmission troubles. but there are only used T6s now.

The T5 Polestar is a good option with increased power/torque from tuning, yet you get manufacturer's warranty. The 5 cylinder 2.5 litre engine sounds like a "proper" engine too. [:p]

most of the options you tested were all not 7-seaters -- other than the Captiva.

There's nothing wrong with the Captiva. It looks handsome and muscular, and will probably do the job for you. in terms of "brand snobbery" Volvo is a few ranks above Chevrolet. Not to mention build quality, fit and finishing... it's basically Korean vs Swedish -- including pricing and maintenance costs.

Thanks, what about the 2.5T? Is it the same as T5?

XC90 was my consideration 2 years back but becoz of the unknown maintenance and FC, i chose the GS300 instead. You know the Xc90 well?

Currently i am driving a GS300 but i find sedan boring. The only reason I bought it in the first place is the brand, the smoothness and quietness of engine and to try out luxury car. Now i tried driving a captiva in australia and love SUV(i have always love SUV). Like the height, the hugeness. As i am quite tall, SUV height is also more comfortable.

Now i am in dilemma should i sell trade my GS for Captiva? Seems to be a downgrade. Any advice anyone?

You already mentioned two key words and that is brand and downgrade. It will not be easy if you go for Captiva coz the two keys words will be always be behind your mind wherever you go or whenever you drive especially after awhile. :blink:

Thanks, what about the 2.5T? Is it the same as T5?

XC90 was my consideration 2 years back but becoz of the unknown maintenance and FC, i chose the GS300 instead. You know the Xc90 well?

if u like lexus then go for RX but if want to change brand then avoid XC90... i tested the 2.5T and the engine noise cannot make it, at speed 20-30 its like 90km/h, i nvr tried that kind of worse suv before... maybe u will like to consider Audi Q5 (resale value also not bad) or if dun mind paying more Range Rover Sport 3.0 (best suv i ever try)

You already mentioned two key words and that is brand and downgrade. It will not be easy if you go for Captiva coz the two keys words will be always be behind your mind wherever you go or whenever you drive especially after awhile. :blink:

Yup, that is what I am afraid of also.Buying a car is easy but selling it is hard. When I look at GS sometimes, I think it is gorgeous and cannot bear with it.

change to RX270 or 450H like me, very good FC, comfortable and also good driving position, better space than captiva and no downgrade as well :D

Thanks Thaiyotakamli

Yours is RX450h right? Hybrid should have better FC. Any reason why you did not suggest Rx350? I have test driven the latest facelift RX270 and loved the interiors with the new color screen and new steering wheel compared to the previous version but during the test drive, i find the engine very loud. I am not a heavy footer as i test drive i do not test so much on the pick up but more of the feel, the height but I find the engine noise a bit loud. It is below what is expect from lexus. The agent say coz gs is V6, so cannot compared to rx270. I dunno how true it is

I like the q5 and that is my first choice actually but i find all the units in the market are overpriced. A6 and Q5 hvae similar OMV and sell abt the same price brand new but if you compared a 09 A6 and 09 q5, there is a price difference of abt 30K which i dun understand. That is what holding me back.

How about the XC60?

Thanks Holdenutessv, I have test driven the xc60 but think that it feels more like a sedan than a SUV. Maybe it is not high enough or the windscreen angle is too slanted. This is the same problem with CX7 whereby the windscreen is very slanted. I prefer those windscreen at 70 degree than at 45 degree de

Thanks Thaiyotakamli

Yours is RX450h right? Hybrid should have better FC. Any reason why you did not suggest Rx350? I have test driven the latest facelift RX270 and loved the interiors with the new color screen and new steering wheel compared to the previous version but during the test drive, i find the engine very loud. I am not a heavy footer as i test drive i do not test so much on the pick up but more of the feel, the height but I find the engine noise a bit loud. It is below what is expect from lexus. The agent say coz gs is V6, so cannot compared to rx270. I dunno how true it is

I like the q5 and that is my first choice actually but i find all the units in the market are overpriced. A6 and Q5 hvae similar OMV and sell abt the same price brand new but if you compared a 09 A6 and 09 q5, there is a price difference of abt 30K which i dun understand. That is what holding me back.

Yes mine hybrid one and its 2011 before facelifted, i choose hybrid for quieter ride during idling and more power as well as better fc as i can easily get average 11km/l. I tested the Rx270 and same with u, i dun like the engine noise and i feel the car underpowered unlike the hybrid one. But road noise wise it live up to its name :)

I think Q5 has higher resale value as its suv and people prefer Q5 over A6, this is my POV... but to be honest audi ride are not quiet even A8 or A7 or Q7. Technology wise better than lexus. What i like fron lexus is the comfort seat. I also ever tried sit in GS300 and its a quiet sedan. However the space behind rather small plus its unlike RX which has flat floor at the back.

If u really interested in suv, go either RX as its best selling suv or Q5. Q5 if u dun mind the old model also can consider. X5 ride also silent but more unbalanced ride esp during uneven road can feel very strong unlike rx

Yes mine hybrid one and its 2011 before facelifted, i choose hybrid for quieter ride during idling and more power as well as better fc as i can easily get average 11km/l. I tested the Rx270 and same with u, i dun like the engine noise and i feel the car underpowered unlike the hybrid one. But road noise wise it live up to its name :)

I think Q5 has higher resale value as its suv and people prefer Q5 over A6, this is my POV... but to be honest audi ride are not quiet even A8 or A7 or Q7. Technology wise better than lexus. What i like fron lexus is the comfort seat. I also ever tried sit in GS300 and its a quiet sedan. However the space behind rather small plus its unlike RX which has flat floor at the back.

If u really interested in suv, go either RX as its best selling suv or Q5. Q5 if u dun mind the old model also can consider. X5 ride also silent but more unbalanced ride esp during uneven road can feel very strong unlike rx

Yup i love the hybrid model too. I have tested the previous model Rx400h and it is so quiet when engine is started that sometimes i wonder if i have started the engine. However the road tax is a killer. For Rx400h, the road tax is similar for a 3.3L car and for yours, i believe is also more than GS300 road tax right?

The other reason why i think Q5 resale is higher is due to it being a newer model. The oldest one is only 3 years old compared to A6 that has models from 2004(i hope i am right). IS Audi noise bearable? When i test Q5, i find it perfect. MAybe it is older car then the noise problem will come in but my gs300 is really super quiet but like you mentioned, the boot is small and headroom is low. So hard to climb to the backseat from driver seat..Haha

RX and Q5 are my top choice but after seeing the latest RX with all the interior and exterior changes, it makes me dun feel like buying the older model. Prices are not that attractive also. Maybe need more time for the new model to be in the market to reflect the lower price for the older model. Q5 i am eyeing also but as i mentioned before, i think it is overpriced currently. i hope as the model get older or when the new model comes in, the resale will be more reasonable or comparable to at least A6. BMW i am not as keen i have a friend who told me lots of horror stories of the bmw he owned and since then i have strike it off my list

the only one that i know whereby the back seat is higher is the freelander. They call it something like stadium seat so that you can get a good view even when sitting behind

Good view but high chance that you might have motion sickness. :D

nowadays where got flooding? its for the STATUS

Still have flashflood, esp those low area and construction area. Whenever there is heavy rain, flashflood will happen.

↡ Advertisement