Knee arthroscopy - ACL & meniscus & microfracture

Hmsg

Anybody can provide info on the cost of performing knee arthroscopy for ACL partial tear repair, meniscus repair & micro-fracture as a public patient in SGH?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Both my meniscus were torn some 17yrs ago. Doc then said if not athletic type, can leave it.

Now it hurts on cold weather and after running. Wonder if i should get them repaired or removed?

How has your op help? How was the repair done?

did meniscus repair 2 years ago. cost less than $2000.

Neutral Newbie

Can share which area of pain was cured from the op?

Eg. for me its when i sit say >2 hour under air-con room, walking down stairs and sometime knees will 'lock' for no reason.

Consulted a doctor, he sounded like no need to repair, straight microscopy procedure to cut off the worn-out area. Asked him if that will solve above pains, he only said will surely reduce.

no problem now. i go jogging regularly no pain. get a good pair of running shoes

Hi Jaglim,

I have the misfortune of going through 2 of the items you listed in your thread.

Firstly, I tore my right knee ACL from soccer, went for re-constructive surgery, went back to soccer but the knee still didn't feel alright as before, somehow the muscle strength is gone but it might have been psychological as well since you know you have a weak knee especially in contact sports like soccer. Other than that, normal jogging was ok and so was walking/sitting in AC room/rainy days etc. That said, there was a bit of a numb spot on my right shin after the op but the good doctor had already told me of this after effects before the op so I guess I could live with that. But therapy after the op was a bitch, basically you will be on crutches for a good 1.5 months and initial therapy sessions were really tough as the rotation of your knee is gone and you need to get it back (note: you will end up in a brace for about 1 month if I recall correctly).

But my story didn't end there, after I returned to soccer again, my knee buckled again (under no contact) and the pain/sensation felt quite like a torn ACL but not exactly the same. I went for a MRI, and it was confirmed that my right knee meniscus was almost fully torn (somehow that only happened after my ACL op else the doctor should have arrested that earlier on). Before I went for my meniscus op, I tried jogging but the knee will swell up and there will be 2-3 days of sustained pain, so I guess if you wanna do sports, the op is a must (normal day to day life is OK if you do not subject your knee to excessive force/motion). Other than that, the therapy after the op was much more of a breeze in comparison to the ACL op (no brace required after meniscus op), and I was able to return back to soccer after about 3-4 months after the op.

Fingers crossed, I am still playing soccer today though not at the level I played previously at, but it is good enough for me since I am seeing out the twilight years of my passion. Jogging and day to day life is good as well with no side effects and worries.

In summary, if you do not intend to do sports, you might consider skipping the op altogether as you need a kind employer to grant you a 3 months absence from work, and to recover completely after the op, diligent work on your own is required (gym - though not much in my case, swimming, completing all the therapy sessions) else you might not achieve your goal of returning to sports (which was my objective). Also, I did my ACL op in Alexandra hospital and my meniscus in CGH, personally I believe CGH is good (from my own limited experience) as I also had another friend that did his ACL op there and is back playing soccer. As for $, mostly were paid through medisave and company insurance, thus the only cash upfront at most amounted to $1-2+K.

I hope the above can aid you better in your decision making.

Edited by Chipsahoy8919

Anybody can provide info on the cost of performing knee arthroscopy for ACL partial tear repair, meniscus repair & micro-fracture as a public patient in SGH?

Thanks.

Did mine at SGH 1yr+ ago but it was for ACL reconstruction surgery (grafted from hamstring) as it was ruptured, plus meniscus repair as it was slightly torn.

Surgery itself was around 12k I think as I went direct to the surgeon I wanted. Nurse told me it would be abt 6-7k if I went thru polyclinic instead but it may take a few months for the whole process and you get a random surgeon. My insurance covered everything of course...even the months of physiotheraphy after surgery.

I wear a knee brace when I started playing leisure football again recently, otherwise jogging and normal exercise I'm more or less back to normal.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Chipsahoy8919,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds scary to me. Daily work is ok for me except that i start jogging now and it hurt to the point at times i cannot even walk at all.

I was hoping that regular muscle build up can fight this pain eventually.

I remember my medical report mention something about ACL torn too. So i guess will have to go through pretty much what you have been through.

Back to same dilemma, should i go for MRI? chance are when i do, will straight away push in for op.

Hi Chipsahoy8919,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds scary to me. Daily work is ok for me except that i start jogging now and it hurt to the point at times i cannot even walk at all.

I remember my medical report mention something about ACL torn too. So i guess will have to go through pretty much what you have been through.

Back to same dilemma, should i go for MRI? chance are when i do, will straight away push in for op.

U should do mostly gym work on building up your quadriceps before attempting high impact activities.

Hi Chipsahoy8919,

Hi Jaglim,

Suggest u go for MRI, it clears up all doubts instantly. You still have a choice at the end of the day to/not to do the op after the MRI as it all depends on the type of lifestyle that you are aiming at. I got friends with partially torn ACL that goes for gym work and is still playing soccer, but you need to be damn disciplined for the regular gym workouts.

Just food for thought, if time/work permits, just go for it, it is not really 'safe' knowing you have a liability in your knee given you do not know when you need to call upon your physical strength in difficult situations. If your are not rushing for the op, take the Polyclinic then referral to hospital route as it saves you quite a fair bit on consultations, MRI, op and therapy etc. Well on hindsight, upon MRI and confirmation of your torn ACL, you will get downgraded immediately so hopes it cheers you up with regards to NS reservist duties.

I torn my meniscus back in 1996, was told slight crack, got a chip that got in the way when i twist my knee ... went for a key-hole op to shave off the chip, now a "loose" knee. Now normal walk/jog is ok, no pain (yet) in cold environment/weather. But when playing soccer, must strapped knee heavily with knew guards, else knee might snap and cause pain ...

Just to share my experience ... take care !

Guys - not sure all the tech jargon here but my knee hurts!!! and it has been hurting for the pass 20 yrs!!!

Ok - a little bit of history - used to play badminton like mad...from 15 yrs old onwards right up to 20 yrs...whack like mad everyday.

Now, both knees hurts when I exert my self...and also when I move my knees, there is a crackling sound....you can feel like 2 parts rubbing onto one another.

Went to see dr, and dr says no hope - only can do knee replacement...is this the pain that you guys talkign about?

Dr says the oil btw my joints is gone, but he is not 100% sure...x-ray didn't show very much where the pain is...

for now, i can't even run fast or jog, coz it's very painful....but walking and standing, no pain at all...

i still play some games, but it's like a walkign pace, and when i am done playing, the pain will be there for 2-3 days and then subside (bearable though)

Anyone have this same pain and what's the remedy...

Hi Jaglim,

I have the misfortune of going through 2 of the items you listed in your thread.

Firstly, I tore my right knee ACL from soccer, went for re-constructive surgery, went back to soccer but the knee still didn't feel alright as before, somehow the muscle strength is gone but it might have been psychological as well since you know you have a weak knee especially in contact sports like soccer. Other than that, normal jogging was ok and so was walking/sitting in AC room/rainy days etc. That said, there was a bit of a numb spot on my right shin after the op but the good doctor had already told me of this after effects before the op so I guess I could live with that. But therapy after the op was a bitch, basically you will be on crutches for a good 1.5 months and initial therapy sessions were really tough as the rotation of your knee is gone and you need to get it back (note: you will end up in a brace for about 1 month if I recall correctly).

But my story didn't end there, after I returned to soccer again, my knee buckled again (under no contact) and the pain/sensation felt quite like a torn ACL but not exactly the same. I went for a MRI, and it was confirmed that my right knee meniscus was almost fully torn (somehow that only happened after my ACL op else the doctor should have arrested that earlier on). Before I went for my meniscus op, I tried jogging but the knee will swell up and there will be 2-3 days of sustained pain, so I guess if you wanna do sports, the op is a must (normal day to day life is OK if you do not subject your knee to excessive force/motion). Other than that, the therapy after the op was much more of a breeze in comparison to the ACL op (no brace required after meniscus op), and I was able to return back to soccer after about 3-4 months after the op.

Fingers crossed, I am still playing soccer today though not at the level I played previously at, but it is good enough for me since I am seeing out the twilight years of my passion. Jogging and day to day life is good as well with no side effects and worries.

In summary, if you do not intend to do sports, you might consider skipping the op altogether as you need a kind employer to grant you a 3 months absence from work, and to recover completely after the op, diligent work on your own is required (gym - though not much in my case, swimming, completing all the therapy sessions) else you might not achieve your goal of returning to sports (which was my objective). Also, I did my ACL op in Alexandra hospital and my meniscus in CGH, personally I believe CGH is good (from my own limited experience) as I also had another friend that did his ACL op there and is back playing soccer. As for $, mostly were paid through medisave and company insurance, thus the only cash upfront at most amounted to $1-2+K.

I hope the above can aid you better in your decision making.

Are you me? Everything that you said happened to me too!!! For a moment, I thought I wrote that. Except that I have both my ops done at CGH and both were for ACL reconstruction. First was the hamstring graft, then it tore again and I have to opened up my the other healthy leg to get the graft. Doc told me that if I tore it again, I will have to take a dead person ACL for grafting!!!!

Right now, still playing soccer but not as competitive as before. No major problem except the numbness on my shin.

Are you me? Everything that you said happened to me too!!! For a moment, I thought I wrote that. Except that I have both my ops done at CGH and both were for ACL reconstruction. First was the hamstring graft, then it tore again and I have to opened up my the other healthy leg to get the graft. Doc told me that if I tore it again, I will have to take a dead person ACL for grafting!!!!

Right now, still playing soccer but not as competitive as before. No major problem except the numbness on my shin.

Haha, it is apparent then that ACL injuries seems to befall what 50-60% of all soccer players! I hope nothing will tear in the future (fingers crossed) cos can't see myself going under the table again under GA and all the therapy that follows!

Seems like CGH is a good choice to go for op where required! 2 x success cases of ACL/Meniscus victims returning to soccer in this forum alone!

Edited by Chipsahoy8919

Neutral Newbie

2 doctor have told me not to run with a torn meniscus. I feel that if i do it without air-con and below 3km on treadmill, it is still fine.

i was obese and hate exercise, it is this year that i start running and love how i can sweat it out with 20min.

what is quadricep? lifting some weight counts?

U should do mostly gym work on building up your quadriceps before attempting high impact activities.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks bro.,

I have a card from SAF that will pay everything for my right knee medical cost. I got this injury during reservist. So, maybe i should just try to fix 1 leg first. See how it goes.

It all well, then invest on the other leg. [:)]

Both my meniscus were torn some 17yrs ago. Doc then said if not athletic type, can leave it.

Now it hurts on cold weather and after running. Wonder if i should get them repaired or removed?

Perhaps you should do some exploratory surgery.

My arthroscopy was done in 1994 as a school athlete. Trimmed off the 'bucket handle' tear on the left lateral meniscus.

Until now that part is okay. Have been using the RICE principle conscientiously. But the medial side of the knee is developing a frustrating problem now. Like extra or loose cartilage. Also injured ligaments from soccer last year in the same knee. Considering 2 options - quit soccer or go for a 2nd surgery.

Edited by Grix17
↡ Advertisement