Knee arthroscopy - ACL & meniscus & microfracture

Hmsg

Just did my ACL and meniscus repair. Will say that it hurts like hell, nothing ive ever experienced. Feeling damn low now, just doing nothing also hurt. Starting to regret gg under the knife

↡ Advertisement

I did a acl reconstruction back in 2003 when my acl totally snap and 50% on meniscus due to rugby ,I fell on one leg and it gave way.

My experience was similar to many here , the doctor said if I am not active I could choose to do physio and hope my knee caps(soft tissue) will still be around in 20 years or alternatively I would do an operation to reconstruct it back. The recovery was painful , my leg was dead stiff for the entire time and my physio was about strengthening my entire leg and bending my knee. Personally I would suggest if totally torn just go for ops,I am still pretty active after that though at times my knees will swell and hurt.it was basically a reset button to my legs.

I have since reduced my long runs and contact sports as I grow older and I regularly swam instead. I think swimming is the best sport for recovery from such injuries.

13 years on, I have taken care on my knees and made sure that I strengthen my knee via squats and backward leg raise everyday. I have yet to encounter those pains in the knee when it is cold day or aircon partially because I made it a point to cover my knee both knees to prevent dampness from start til now(main reason why some have knee pain from chinese senseh)

For those which have ops please make sure you cover up your knee unless you want you leg to give you pain later on in life.

• Praise 2

Exactly 1 week after my op. Lesser pain but still very stiff. Next week then start physio. In the meantime have to endure the pain and extend to straighten knee as much as possible. Sleeping and showering is a bitch now.

Hope the worst is over and it can only get better now

post-68169-0-46343400-1441369404_thumb.jpg

Exactly 1 week after my op. Lesser pain but still very stiff. Next week then start physio. In the meantime have to endure the pain and extend to straighten knee as much as possible. Sleeping and showering is a bitch now.

Hope the worst is over and it can only get better now

Good that the swelling looked ok! Press on!

Just came back from the physio. Am into my 8th week post op. Really glad that the worst is behind me now. Physio said 1 month later can start jogging. I have been quite conscientious in doing the exercises and go to gym to cycle almost everyday. Physically the right leg esp the quads really weak now, and is about 20% smaller than my left. Yes, I use measuring tape to measure. Hopefully all these is gg to be worth it for me when I get back into the game

• Praise 1

Just came back from the physio. Am into my 8th week post op. Really glad that the worst is behind me now. Physio said 1 month later can start jogging. I have been quite conscientious in doing the exercises and go to gym to cycle almost everyday. Physically the right leg esp the quads really weak now, and is about 20% smaller than my left. Yes, I use measuring tape to measure. Hopefully all these is gg to be worth it for me when I get back into the game

You should try using the anti gravity treadmill. You can jog at up to 20% of your body weight only.

Be warn... you will get addicted to it after you try.  [laugh]

http://www.stuff.tv/sg/features/light-weight-training-alter-g-anti-gravity-treadmill

• Praise 1

hello,

sorry to dig out an old thread.

it has been a few years since i got a torn ACL on my right.

Doctors have been advising me to go for surgery but i have my fears and doubt.

now, the knee is doing fine but at times.

especially when walking down the stairs, the knee will give way.

i just had a fall on last weekend when my leg miss a step..

i was in shock.. as i know i landed it but the leg just wont listen.

my questions, is it mandatory to go for the op.

i'm 39 this year, will the situation worsen as i aged further..

i have stopped play soccer since the incident but pick up badminton lately. doing good but if too vigorously, the knee will start to pull.

I am very reluctant to go for the op, as i hear stories that even after the op, my knee will still be the same.

And the recovery (from what i read above), is a lengthy journey..

hello,

i have stopped play soccer since the incident but pick up badminton lately. doing good but if too vigorously, the knee will start to pull.

I am very reluctant to go for the op, as i hear stories that even after the op, my knee will still be the same.

Badminton...? guaranteed kaput your injury.. try changing to a low impact high calory burning sport like cycling

• Praise 1

Badminton...? guaranteed kaput your injury.. try changing to a low impact high calory burning sport like cycling

Ya

Take up tennis

ACL recon will definitely help you a lot if u want to go back to regular sports.

my friend kana it 2 years ago, and he went back to playing soccer after that

hello,

ACL recon will definitely help you a lot if u want to go back to regular sports.

my friend kana it 2 years ago, and he went back to playing soccer after that

[laugh]

till date, i still dream of playing soccer..

ok, if really no choice, then i probably will have to go.

[smallcry]

hello..

i'm scheduled for an ACL surgery on coming 5th of March..

nervous.. very nervous and afraid

Quite routine surgery lah. No need kan cheong

hello..

Steady ......... all the bests and take good care. Health is most important.

Quite routine surgery lah. No need kan cheong

the procedure is already fearful enough.  [lipsrsealed]

involves replacing the torn anterior cruciate ligament with a new graft. This is taken either from your own tissue (autograft), or from donor tissue (allograft). 

If using an autograft, the surgeon harvests some tissue from either your patellar tendon (below your kneecap) or you hamstrings tendon (on the back of your thigh).  They use these to create a new graft which is fixed into place and to do the job of the ACL.

Steady ......... all the bests and take good care. Health is most important.

thank you,  :D

*brotherly hug*

hello..

All the best to you. I've had mine in 2015. I took from own hamstring graft. Am now back to almost 100% functionality, recently also can do full Asian squat liao.

My advice is 1st 2-3 weeks are crucial and also the most painful. Take painkillers if need be. But must do the exercises to reduce the scar tissue so as to get full range of motion upon recovery. Getting the full range of motion is more important in building up the muscle/strength right after op. The muscle atrophy will have lots of time to work on it, but flexibility you only have that 1st 2-3 weeks of golden period to take advantage.

Jiayou!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1