National Day Rally. What are your thoughts?

Donut

some points that i can recall,

- Home, Heart & Hope = Tax increase (will see how this pan out across different income level)

- HDB for singles = extra heat on property (affordability & availability for new family is more urgent)

- open immigration policy = (no comment)

i'll remain skeptic until i see some proof of improvement i'm afraid.

↡ Advertisement

This Government is well know for dishing out the goodies and later take it back....

I am ok with most of his speech, except the part on Immigration. The fact is the Government won't reverse that policy and blame Singaporean for being xenophobic and the point when he said nasty posts by Singaporean on foreigners will damages Singapore international reputation.

I think Singapore is the only country that did not screen its immigrant - Some of these immigrants are behaving badly and you expect Singaporean to welcome them with open arm.. He must be dreaming...

Tax will increase. Should be GST to 10%?

yup, those rejected flats .... -_-

or areas in Juring West Extension, few takers... :blink:

I heard something over the radio on the rally that they are planning to allow singles to buy new flat. But they only allowed them to buy rejected flats? [:/]

Not yet. KBW will study the issue

I heard something over the radio on the rally that they are planning to allow singles to buy new flat. But they only allowed them to buy rejected flats? [:/]

year in year out... talk talk talk... well what do you expect from Scholars.... since time of ages scholars only talk talk talk then either never do anything or take a blue moon to happen... just make ppl feel good...

as he mentioned nothing comes from heaven... in my opinion he is hinting if you want me to bend the rules to accommodate the general population or to suit your desired requirements then pay for it....

so dun be surprised increased of GST or some sort of law being passed to get your money into the coffers.

This Government is well know for dishing out the goodies and later take it back....

I am ok with most of his speech, except the part on Immigration. The fact is the Government won't reverse that policy and blame Singaporean for being xenophobic and the point when he said nasty posts by Singaporean on foreigners will damages Singapore international reputation.

I think Singapore is the only country that did not screen its immigrant - Some of these immigrants are behaving badly and you expect Singaporean to welcome them with open arm.. He must be dreaming...

You are right. Give you a drumstick to make you happy first, then take back 1 whole chicken from you later on. [rolleyes]

Housing - More priority to couples with children

KBW looking into allowing Singles to buy directly from HDB

UniSIM and SIT -5th and 6th Uni

Some form of Paternity Leave

Create Medisave account for each child at birth

Improve Baby Bonus

Establish a new stat board to overseas pre school education..

That basically the gist...

Edited by Ticklish8

1) I'm disappointed that PM Lee didn't address the widening income gap.

2) He didn't address fully Immigration policy. Yes yes we heard that Government going to moderate. What about reversing that policy.

3) Since he didn't address the 2nd issue, the other issue, overcrowding, high property prices, high COE and car prices, strain on public transport, health care sector that got to do with the 2nd issue remain unresolved. Like he said it will take years (building more MRT line, built more hospital... etc etc)

4) How hard he try to exonerate the immigration policy (ie it is good for Singapore etc), Singaporean won't accept it fully...

And it is a vicious cycle...

Bring in more FT/ Foreigners - will lead to shortage of housing, competition for cars which will lead to higher COE and car prices, competition for jobs, personel space etc - As a result the younger Singaporean will find it difficult to buy HDB/ car, delay marriages, have less baby.... Government bring in more foreigners...... and it continue...

It is just a vicious cycle.... If the Government have gradually bring in all the so called FT for example within 10 years instead of 3-5 years previously, the strains won't be so bad... Nobody saying that the Government shouldn't bring in FT/Foreigners... It is a known fact that we need them...

Period..

2) He didn't address fully Immigration policy. Yes yes we heard that Government going to moderate. What about reversing that policy.

3) Since he didn't address the 2nd issue, the other issue, overcrowding, high property prices, high COE and car prices, strain on public transport, health care sector that got to do with the 2nd issue remain unresolved. Like he said it will take years (building more MRT line, built more hospital... etc etc)

4) How hard he try to exonerate the immigration policy (ie it is good for Singapore etc), Singaporean won't accept it fully...

All these issues he cannot address directly, they are a taboo you know. :D

I like PM for very brave to correct people wrong mindset and attitudes in 1 part of his speech.

&

I also like PM quote " nothing comes from heaven"

Agree that this statement is so very true. However, mgt of costs is also a responsiblity of the govt. If raising taxes and these are indeed channel to finance social benefits such as bringing down our current and future medical costs, so be it.

Hmmm.... my thots....

a. You think getting HDB flat is what young people really want nowadays in order to start a family??? or they prefer at least a condo?? We are already embarking on building more flats, much more flats in fact; Let's see whether or not the birth rate increase over the next few years. Based on my unofficial straw poll among my circles of friends in the 20s, none tell me that giving them a flat will entice them to get married and have kids.

b. Getting people to get married and have kids??? Why not do something to encourage current parents to have one more kid. Since they already have 1 or 2, I believe, it will be much easier to them to increase 1 more head count.

c. Paternity leave... The idea is good but as what PM also highlighted, will the leave be abused? The root of this is the commitment of the father to be. My time, we do not have paternity leave or child care leave. Hence, we took personal leave or time off from employer to bring our kids for medical checkups or take care of them when they are sick. Of course, that means we will have to postpone our long holidays till the kids are older, or cut short annual holidays as there isn't much leaves left. This is call commitment and this is call sacrifice for the kids. If we are not prepare to do so without the paternity leave, I don't see how much the paternity leave can encourage couples to have more kids.

• Praise 1

I didnt get the opportunity to watch the full speech but I thought I heard something or maybe I am wrong.

Pt 1, I tot the underlying message is, buck up and dont complain about this. We need to stay competitive in this everchanging world? This is a trait in Singaporeans and it shall continue.

Pt 2, if birth rates continue to be low, how do you expect govt to do? importing immigrants would be the only workable solution thus far. So to stop this, start producing. chicken and egg issue.

Pt 3, hmm...wont the social benefits to be created resulted in tapping of our reserves and we need to continue to build this base in order to keep Singapore sustainable? If so, high prices would mean greater revenue and bigger reserve.

His pt on us picking on foreigners or PRs could be true and vice versa. We must not swing to the extreme of both ends but be moderate in our behaviour. We are small and human resources is our basic. We need to attract investment and that is by providing sufficient talents for companies to pick n choose. We are not producing hw then could we have talents for companies to pick? If we do not stay competitive, how then do we have the reserves for our children? If we do not have a strong govt how then would it be possible to run this country efficiently?

There are alot of underlying messages within his speech which one shld ponder upon and there are real issues. I am not pro-govt but you got to read between the lines and I only manage to watch the last 15 mins or so of his speech....

c. Paternity leave... The idea is good but as what PM also highlighted, will the leave be abused? The root of this is the commitment of the father to be. My time, we do not have paternity leave or child care leave. Hence, we took personal leave or time off from employer to bring our kids for medical checkups or take care of them when they are sick. Of course, that means we will have to postpone our long holidays till the kids are older, or cut short annual holidays as there isn't much leaves left. This is call commitment and this is call sacrifice for the kids. If we are not prepare to do so without the paternity leave, I don't see how much the paternity leave can encourage couples to have more kids.

paternity leave is like you say the commitment from the father, if the father intent to abuse it, the loss is for his wife and child to have such a man.

You guys seriously think he will reverse the immigration policy? If he decreased the foreigner number in sg, the economy will shrink, and no PM will allow that. They are addicted to GDP growth.

Absolutely nothing for the sandwich generation who have to look after elderly parents? My family is not poor enough (monthly income less than $2200) to get any subsidy but we are not rich. My mother has been bedridden since she suffered a stroke 2 years ago and we have had to hire 2 domestic workers to look after her. Do not want to place her in a nursing home. Dad is also getting on in years and cannot help out much.

The drain on finances is no joke and yet garment wants to increase taxes to fund all the other "goodies".. people like me will suffer.

Supercharged

So what happens when 2 singles both bought a BTO flat and marries? They get to owned 2 flats in separate name??? :o

↡ Advertisement