Which GPS to buy?

Vtim

my old trusty Garmin 205W no longer working, can't detect satellite even I were to stand outside my car with it in my hand for more than 15mins.

Any recommendation? I mostly need it for trips up North.

My 1st GPS unit is TOM TOM, TOM TOM very good. Nice graphic.

My 2nd GPS unit is Garmin. Very easy to find maps.

Now TOM TOM provides World Map for Free, but I couldn't find any location support. This worries me.

My Garmin GPS, like what you mentioned, a bit retarded. I guess this is normal after few years. I intend to go for the high end model with LIVE Traffic. However, there's isn't any now. 

post-165514-0-54604400-1449474184_thumb.jpg

Waiting for replacmement model for nüvi® 4592LM SG/MY.

In fact, I still like TOM TOM as the Map is the nicest of all time.

• Praise 1

My 1st GPS unit is TOM TOM, TOM TOM very good. Nice graphic.

My 2nd GPS unit is Garmin. Very easy to find maps.

Now TOM TOM provides World Map for Free, but I couldn't find any location support. This worries me.

My Garmin GPS, like what you mentioned, a bit retarded. I guess this is normal after few years. I intend to go for the high end model with LIVE Traffic. However, there's isn't any now. 

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_4971 Dec. 07 15.42.jpg

Waiting for replacmement model for nüvi® 4592LM SG/MY.

In fact, I still like TOM TOM as the Map is the nicest of all time.

nuvicam-image-01.jpg

This one got Live Traffic Update, but you must buy a module to connect to it.

Was asking the Garmin guy during sitex and he said that Singapore has live traffic update info.

nuvicam-image-01.jpg

This one got Live Traffic Update, but you must buy a module to connect to it.

Was asking the Garmin guy during sitex and he said that Singapore has live traffic update info.

Thank. You are right. You need this cable.

post-165514-0-60436900-1449478942.jpg

My set was bought in California few years back and it comes free with this cable.

Hi,

Intend to get one GPS that offers live traffic update and routing.

I understand there is this TMC function but wonder which unit offers it regardless of brand and does this traffic update useful and good in rerouting your navigation? thank you.

Now can use google map offline for android. No need delicated PND

The great advantage of GPS that:

1) It runs by satellite. When I went to USA and Australia, no data charges.

2) It tells you which lane to adhere to:

post-165514-0-22455400-1449746420.jpg

3) Junction View is important is you are unfamiliar with which lane to head to:

post-165514-0-04325100-1449746476.jpg

4) It doesn't drain off your phone battery faster than you charge.

5) Voice recognition is better than Google Map

post-165514-0-04240600-1449746524.jpg

6) It is independent of your phone and it seldom hang as much as phone.

I prefer TOM TOM and GARMIN.

7) To use Google Map Offline, you need to plan in advance and save it offline.

If you're going where mobile data is expensive or you won't have an Internet connection, you can save a map to your device and use it when you're offline. Here’s how:

1. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and signed in to your Google account.
  2. Open the Google Maps app
  3. Search for a place, like "San Francisco."
  4. At the bottom, touch the bar that has the name of the place you searched.
  5. In the upper right, touch the menu 
  6. To save the map, select Save offline map. And follow the directions on the screen.
  7. To view your offline map, see the directions for viewing your saved maps below.

Anyone knows where TOM TOM Singapore showroom. 

TOM TOM is impressive:

1. Lifetime World Maps: Download 4 or more full updates of any installed map every year, for the life of your product. You need a PC with an Internet Connection and a MyTomTom account to download new maps and updates. For more information, visit tomtom.com/lifetime.
  2. Lifetime Speed Cameras: Receive Speed Camera Updates for the life of your product. For more information, visit tomtom.com/lifetime
  3. Lifetime TomTom Traffic: Receive TomTom Traffic for the life of your product. For more information, visit tomtom.com/lifetime.
  4. Supported TomTom GO models include: GO 40 / 50 / 60 / 51 / 61 / 400 / 500 / 510 / 600 / 610 / 5000 / 5100 / 6000 / 6100

post-165514-0-05848200-1449804333.jpg

post-165514-0-01014100-1449804348.jpg

post-165514-0-67172200-1449804361.jpg

Edited by elmoguy
  • Praise 1

The great advantage of GPS that:

1) It runs by satellite. When I went to USA and Australia, no data charges.

Those phone based GPS apps also run by satellite. No data charges applicable as long as you download the maps before hand.

Those phone based GPS apps also run by satellite. No data charges applicable as long as you download the maps before hand.

All GPS is run by satellite, doesn't matter what device you use. GPS is free. Only the map needs downloading. GPS has been around since a long time ago. When I was in the army in the 90s, already use GPS. That time don't even have wifi, 3G, 4G.

I always have 3 installed on my Android phone..

Daily use in sg is waze.

Overseas use (without data or a-gps) is sygic and here as backup..

If I had to get a GPS it would be Garmin, reason being is that the map base / software is open sourced and you have hobbyist mappers who create maps that can be loaded into the system for free. Previously when I went to places where I did not have the map (i.e Iceland, Brussels, Australia, etc) I can load the maps into the system and use no need to pay extra.

Ps Garmin has lifetime updates for maps preloaded unto the device as well, but best check with the store before buying. Maybe only from the Garmin store at orchard.

If I had to get a GPS it would be Garmin, reason being is that the map base / software is open sourced and you have hobbyist mappers who create maps that can be loaded into the system for free. Previously when I went to places where I did not have the map (i.e Iceland, Brussels, Australia, etc) I can load the maps into the system and use no need to pay extra.

Ps Garmin has lifetime updates for maps preloaded unto the device as well, but best check with the store before buying. Maybe only from the Garmin store at orchard.

Garmin LM Cam going for $500 and free lifetime map for SG and MY. Tom Tom 6000 going for $400 and world map free.

My 1st GPS us Tom Tom One 3rd Edition. My 2nd GPS is 2555LMT.

Any Tom Tom user? Can advise if it is great? Tom Tom started the community POI much earlier than Garmin. I thinking of going for tom tom gps.

Turbocharged

Phones mostly use A-GPS though, which means they use additional data from the mobile networks and internet connection to position faster and more acccurately... so it may still use data if your data is active.

Phones mostly use A-GPS though, which means they use additional data from the mobile networks and internet connection to position faster and more acccurately... so it may still use data if your data is active.

so far been using iPhone for travel in Malaysia. Never seem to burst my data at all. You don't need Internet connection for gps navigation in real time. Just download the map and use it offline just like any other standalone gps.
↡ Advertisement