Thailand : SG - Ko Samui - Phuket - SG - 3300km Solo Trip

Nainar

wow u come from the future wor, 2021!! [laugh] [laugh]

Typo mate!! Wish I come from the future with those Antennae and extraordinary power to drive 1000000000 kilometers without having to refuel... :D :D [laugh][laugh] . Would'nt be wonderful given the fuel prices in Singapore?

But this logic beats me in Singapore. Almost all pumps give some discount or the other varying from 10-17%. Why cant they just give it instead of asking for cards, specific credit cards etc? Anyone who buys fuel using cash is an idiot in Singapore, while in every other country fuel pumps prefer cash.

Nainar

↡ Advertisement

Typo mate!! Wish I come from the future with those Antennae and extraordinary power to drive 1000000000 kilometers without having to refuel... :D :D [laugh][laugh] . Would'nt be wonderful given the fuel prices in Singapore?

But this logic beats me in Singapore. Almost all pumps give some discount or the other varying from 10-17%. Why cant they just give it instead of asking for cards, specific credit cards etc? Anyone who buys fuel using cash is an idiot in Singapore, while in every other country fuel pumps prefer cash.

Nainar

Very enjoyable read. I wish to learn more about the drive instead. Any particular road hazards to watch out for?

• Praise 1

Very enjoyable read. I wish to learn more about the drive instead. Any particular road hazards to watch out for?

Actually nothing to be alarmed about. Just be aware that the roads and driving patterns are different. For e.g the National highway A4 is supposed to be a divided dual carriageway, two lanes on each side. The divider is just yellow lines which are a meter apart. Unwritten rule that people will not cross it. But I have seen people driving in the opposite direction, coming from one of the villages. And it is not access controlled. So, watch out for traffic and it is very sparse. Just have to be alert and not overly concerned. This is pretty much the case with any roads which has a single digit. 4 is an example where I drove. You can expect to keep an average of 90-100 kmph in these roads. I managed to keep an average of 91 kmph with a top speed of... Not going to disclose here.. And seriously even these high ways have traffic lights. So, do not assume being in a National highway is like being in NSH with no traffic lights.

Any double digit or triple digit roads are normally two lane roads, bi directional. So, you have to watch out for those slow moving trucks to overtake and the yellow lines are broken in places where you can overtake. What I observed is when there is a solid yellow line, you really have no visibility of incoming traffic for you to decide whether to overtake or not. And it is done methodically. I don't care about the broken lines, but care about the visibility of incoming traffic when overtaking in a two lane road. But you can follow the line markings also. It is done meticulously.

The road quality is very good, but there are some pot holes once in a while. They are much less in single digit roads, but in triple digit and four digit roads, be assured you will encounter uneven surface once in a while. Some times even dangerous to drive through those holes at 100 kmph. I slowed down the moment I entered those roads being watchful. Average speed in these roads will be 70-80 kmph. Four digit roads are normally inside a town/city. Driving between the cities you will mostly encounter single digit or two digit numbered roads. And most likely they will be four laned dual carriage ways.

Nainar

You really think that's discount? Those paying in cash are punished with the 10-17% 'discount' given to card users.

You are a solid driver that travelled that distance in solo. Really hope to have a stamina like you and the time permit to learn from you. Keep it up, bro.

It is easy and any one can do it bro. All you need is the flair to enjoy the road and solitude. It is not difficult at all. Just get out and do it and if you enjoy it go further. If you don't enjoy it, it does not make sense to get stressed doing it for the sake of it. If you enjoy it, SE Asia is a paradise for road tripping. The beaches, mountains, people ... great place.

And if you thought doing solo drive to this much is crazy have a read at this.. This guy did a much much bigger trip in a motor cycle, all alone..

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/everett

Nainar

It is easy and any one can do it bro. All you need is the flair to enjoy the road and solitude. It is not difficult at all. Just get out and do it and if you enjoy it go further. If you don't enjoy it, it does not make sense to get stressed doing it for the sake of it. If you enjoy it, SE Asia is a paradise for road tripping. The beaches, mountains, people ... great place.

And if you thought doing solo drive to this much is crazy have a read at this.. This guy did a much much bigger trip in a motor cycle, all alone..

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/everett

Nainar

Nainar,

Good story. I got my DR650 for Malaysia and it's now used as a communter bike :blink: . Renew her COE last year cos it's quite bullet proof and has more power and agility than my car to keep me sane. Instead of using the DR650, been using the car for touring in Malaysia.

Next target - Krabi perhaps.

Cheers and maybe see you on the roads or the proposed road warriors meetup =)

• Praise 1

Nainar,

Cheers and maybe see you on the roads or the proposed road warriors meetup =)

I wish that too mate!! It is always fun to meet fellow road warriors at unexpected moments. The forum that I was part of when I was working in India, www.team-bhp.com used to have meet ups and drives. Got to meet some interesting people and heard interesting stories of roads.

Day 8:

This is my last day in Thailand. I am scheduled to leave Thailand for a stop over at Penang. I chose to come via Krabi. Left Phuket by @9:30 AM. Started driving and the Sygic was nicely guiding me out of Phuket and towards Krabi as I set it. Unfortunately I updated the software on my phone and it has erased my travel book which has recorded the route I took. Even restoring it to earlier date did not get the data back. Lost some precious route information that way.

Anyway the drive back was uneventful till I felt that my car was literally floating, and I was not having the kind of road grip I was used to, especially when taking those turns at high speeds. I thought something that broke down. I was driving extra carefully and it was not fun at all. I had to be super cautious and I was thinking what could have gone wrong. I kept going anyway cautiously.

The Thai-Malaysia border crossing was a pain this time. They would not stamp my passport in the Drive in counter for exiting Thailand. I was asked to go to the office inside parking the car at the border unattended. The Thai Immigration clerk was rude and asked me to pay 10 MYR as Staff Charges. My questions on what it is for were left unanswered and she looked the otherway. Having no otherway, walked back to the car and took 10 MYR. On paying the lady allowed me to go to the immigration officer who took my photo and stamped my exit. My questions to him on the staff charges were not answered as well. It was quiet annoying but cant help it. And driving out, you have to hand over the Customs Declaration form back to the Customs officer. They ask you to sign in a register as well. I think this means if you enter Thailand and exit through some other border you are in for some trouble I guess. I will know next time when I drive to Laos.

Having entered Malaysia stopped for petrol. And on a hunch checked the inflation pressure in the tyres. And I was shocked to see 35 PSI all over, instead of the recommended 30 PSI. No wonder the car was floating. Then I recollected when I filled gas, checked the air at Shell pump in Phuket. They did not have automatic ones and one guy with a hand held pressure gauge checked the pressure and filled air. It was night and raining and possibly he did not pay attention to the gauge readings. I was quiet relieved that nothing actually brokedown. Deflated to 30 PSI and started driving and my car was back to old, comfortable state. Then on driving was fun. So, if any one uses hand held pressure gauges, be watchful of over/under inflation. My car has under inflation sensor, but no over inflation. From the border to Cititel, Georgetown, Penang is like clock work. No incidents and just plain driving. Reached Penang by @4:00, went to Gurney Spa for a nice massage, dinner and a good night sleep at Cititel.

Some random pictures I took while on the road..

This is the Traffic jam in NSH, near Slim River exit. A distance of 38 kms took more than 3 hours to clear. Horrible time..

med_gallery_114255_248_1057366.jpg

Some Buddha statue on the way from Ko Samui to Phuket.

med_gallery_114255_248_183233.jpg

And flashing lights could get you killed in Thailand. this happened to the son of a Minister during my drive there. Shots fired from two cars and people got killed. I am never ever going to flash anything in Thailand.

med_gallery_114255_248_728868.jpg

The lagoon in Ang Thon Marine Park, Ko Samui

med_gallery_114255_248_2449348.jpg

Day 9: Penang to Singapore

This route I have done already three times before and this is the fourth time in the last three months. No problems navigating, no exits missed, just drove. Left Georgetown by 10:30. I had a stop at Yeng Keng Hotel. It is a real funny story. In my previous trip to Penang a week back, I was speeding around 2 hours from Singapore. I might be doing @160 kmph for quiet some time. I was following a Malaysian Altis we were driving toe to toe. And All of a sudden, he slowed and I over took him. Only to be stopped at a Traffic Police check point. I was asked to stop, and given a speeding ticket. The Malaysian car was asked to go. I did not argue and just took the summon. When I went to pay the fine at Police station on Sunday, figured out that they are closed. Now I was in a fix. I have to pay this fine and am leaving Penang for singapore also the same day. The receptionist of Yeng Keng Hotel, offered to pay the fine on my behalf and send me a scanned receipt. I gave her 150 MYR and left Penang. This lady was so sweet, she went to the TP next day, paid the fine, scanned the receipt and emailed me the copy. I was so touched by this gesture. I bought her a memento from Phuket and gave it to her on my way back. So, the world is full of nice people, and it is just that we dont have to fret over the a-----es we come across. Gave her this memento, Thank you Yeoh!! It is people like gets remembered fondly and make this place a better place to live.

med_gallery_114255_248_1396158.jpg

Reached Tuas check point at @5:00 and surprisingly the place was quiet empty for a Sunday evening and I could clear both sides in less than 10 minutes all through. Awesome and entered Singapore, back after the trip.

Overall it was a very fun trip and I thoroughly enjoyed the roads, people and the beaches. Now I am looking forward to the Northern Thailand trip next February. Till then, adios. If any of you need first hand information, do not hesitate to contact me. The world is a small place and we live here for even smaller time. Enjoy the roads and have fun.

Catch you all later.

Nainar

Enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing this.

I've driven to Phuket in a 2003 Subaru Impreza TS. About 140kmh was the fastest it got and it was already struggling.

Enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing this.

I've driven to Phuket in a 2003 Subaru Impreza TS. About 140kmh was the fastest it got and it was already struggling.

2003? Was the NSH around by then? It would have taken a lot more time to drive then.. I would think so about 2003 Impreza. In the last five years of long distance drives what I learnt is it is not the maximum speed that counts. What counts is how long can you go, how much you enjoy the drive and how patient you are as you encounter all kind of drivers on the road, good ones, ignorant ones, bad ones, rogues and that mental ability to stay calm in all kind of situations is what matters. Not how fast your car can go or how many horse power it got under the hood.

I see very few people writing travelogues or capturing their travel experiences in this forum. Does it reinforce my belief that very few Singaporeans take the road or enjoy long, driving holidays? Or that they just do, but don't bother writing about it, sharing information for other fellow roadsters to gain insight?

Nainar

You Sir,

Had inspire me to plan my trip up further north. Furthest i went with my Chery T11 is Trenggannu (wrong spelling). Once my Kia Soul 2012 reaches my hand.....i shall be doing something like yours...love it.

Been driving to Malaysia 3 - 4 times/mth. Went Port dickson just to eat seafood.....love the experience and the drive. Lucky my wife (whom cant drive for nuts) love sitting in the vehicle as a vehicle commander (well, rather a sleeping commander i would say).

Lol...cheers to you bro. You inspired all of us.

Oh yes the NSH was already there back in 2003. In fact it was opened in 1994!

I went with a AA Autoventure. It's reassuring to have the back up of their mechanics for such a long trip plus its more fun with other families at the various stops.

I have lived overseas and have driven long distances in the UK/ Ireland, Hokkaido and USA... so it's not a big deal to me to drive up to the North of Malaysia for example. But you are correct, many of my friends would not want to join me for a driving saying it's too far or it's dangerous in M'sia or their Polis are crooked.

I think the trips are good fun and good value so I will continue to drive up when I have the opportunity. My most recent one was in March to Ipoh and Cameron Highlands.

Edited by Hotnyh

I have lived overseas and have driven long distances in the UK/ Ireland, Hokkaido and USA... so it's not a big deal to me to drive up to the North of Malaysia for example. But you are correct, many of my friends would not want to join me for a driving saying it's too far or it's dangerous in M'sia or their Polis are crooked.

That explains your love for road trips. Once you live and do road trips in those places it becomes fun activity. I faced the same problem as well, with my friends being so worried of long trips, not wanting to go with me, giving the same reason as it is dangerous in Malaysia, police is corrupt etc. After seeing me back in one piece, they are thinking now that "May be the world is not that bad a place after all". So, may be next trips I will have some friends joining me...

Nainar

2003? Was the NSH around by then? It would have taken a lot more time to drive then.. I would think so about 2003 Impreza. In the last five years of long distance drives what I learnt is it is not the maximum speed that counts. What counts is how long can you go, how much you enjoy the drive and how patient you are as you encounter all kind of drivers on the road, good ones, ignorant ones, bad ones, rogues and that mental ability to stay calm in all kind of situations is what matters. Not how fast your car can go or how many horse power it got under the hood.

Nainar

Bro, you're one brave road warrior! Salut!

One have to enjoy driving in the first place, as I do, to fully Appreciate & Understand your observations. [drivingcar][thumbsup]

I see very few people writing travelogues or capturing their travel experiences in this forum. Does it reinforce my belief that very few Singaporeans take the road or enjoy long, driving holidays? Or that they just do, but don't bother writing about it, sharing information for other fellow roadsters to gain insight?

Nainar

Unable to speak for other S'porean drivers, however I did drive up to Malaysia & Thailand quite a number of times past 3 yrs.

In Malaysia all the way to Kota Bahru, Alor Star, Belum.....

Thailand.....Phuket, Khao Lak, Chumpon, Cha Am, Hua Hin..

Lived a couple of yrs in the West Country, UK. Explored almost the whole of the South-West in diff seasons, no GPS yet.

Just rudimentary maps provided by the local Tourist Info in each locale. Imagine driving along one-lane narrow country rds bordered

with 7ft high hedges, unsure of where it would lead to and next moment head to head with a farm tractor! :o

Or experiencing the sudden change of British weather while on the roads! Imagine driving in Pea soup!

Unable to share with others online as I wasn't aware of the existence of MCF then. [:)]

Unable to speak for other S'porean drivers, however I did drive up to Malaysia & Thailand quite a number of times past 3 yrs.

In Malaysia all the way to Kota Bahru, Alor Star, Belum.....

Thailand.....Phuket, Khao Lak, Chumpon, Cha Am, Hua Hin..

Lived a couple of yrs in the West Country, UK. Explored almost the whole of the South-West in diff seasons, no GPS yet.

Just rudimentary maps provided by the local Tourist Info in each locale. Imagine driving along one-lane narrow country rds bordered

with 7ft high hedges, unsure of where it would lead to and next moment head to head with a farm tractor! :o

Or experiencing the sudden change of British weather while on the roads! Imagine driving in Pea soup!

Unable to share with others online as I wasn't aware of the existence of MCF then. [:)]

That is one hell of a coverage by road mate!! Glad to know such people do live in Singapore. My next trip in early 2013 is all the way upto Chiang mai, Laos, Cambodia and come back to Singapore. Am planning the trip actively now.

Seriously, you driving in UK without GPS? I have been using GPS since 2002 when I was in the US and since then it has been an integral part of my driving trips. I do keep backup maps and atlas but they are more for route planning and giving right inputs to the GPS. Once roughly mapped out, GPS does a decent job.post-114255-1347987470_thumb.jpg These are my navigation tools when I was doing a 6000 km road trip from Bangalore to Rajasthan, which are all part of India. I had an integrate GPS in the car I had in the US. In here I have a Garmin nuvi 2565 LM which seems to do a decent job of navigating me.

Coming head to head with Farm tractors look scary but have been in that situation in dual carriageways of India. But we know the regions where to expect such things and are cautious when in those places. But yes, they are hazardous and that is what counts when going on long drives across countries. Such things should not deter or get on your nerves. Else the drive will be a nerve wracking experience rather than a pleasant one.

I used to write my travel experiences in a forum in India. More of a participatory discussion, giving an account of what to expect in the route I took. Be it food stalls, dangers to watch out for etc. And have made many friends through such contributions. Hope to make some friends here as well, during my stay in Singapore.

Take care guys..

Nainar

Yo Nainar, I think Tamedriver is a Lady and if correct, all the more admiration for her sojurns esp driving in pea soup.

Not to steal her thunder but most of us can relate to your post as it is closer to home. [wave]

↡ Advertisement