What strange jobs have you done?

Ahtong

this is a standard procedure for the department. all need to serve 2 years contract before officially be presented with a permanent position.

salary and perks never ask her , so wont know

not exactly sounds like a bond.

more likely it is just that for all new staff they will put on contract. after 2 yrs convert into perm staff.

quite common nowadays.

even nus/ntu do that for professors before they convert tenure track.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

mine not classified as a job.

was in NS, transport battalion sort of who calls we answer sort..

attached 1 week with NCC air, was driving a safety rover,another platoon mate driving a tonner reported for detail on sunday monrning at old CGH, stayed there for entire week.. gosh, all the XMM, aging 16-18, when I was 19 yo....

those NCC XMM, wearing skirts boarded the tonner to head to their camps..the view when they are boarding the tonner was good

some of the NCC commanders stayed at my bunk to chat whole night...

Edited by Keithchue
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Hi. Asking for a friend.

Would you guys join a glc where. Your boss is a minister.

The job entails lots of reports writing and as usual. Subject to lots of red tapes and annual audit.

The applicant would need to fulfil a 2 years contract before a formal employment contract be presented

Thanks for advice

yr friend single, no other committments?

glc? As far as i know, all glc have lots of reports and writings to do. work environment not so good. everyone is damm kiasu

well, its a calculated risk. if yr friend is single, young and no distractions, i must say go ahead and chiong for the 2 years. Even if he/she fails to get perm position, it will still add colour to his/her CV that he/she worked in so and so GLC and the boss is a Minister . Other companies will show interests in hiring him/her.

If yr friend is married, has family, old folks to look after and not so young, i say forget it. Look for something more stable and less stress.

• Praise 1

Where got refund back pass salary one, just compensate the balance of the contract, depends on how long you can tong [laugh]

Have. That is SAF contract. I signed before. Must have two guarantor too. In case u cannot pay back, the other two will pay for you. And the two guarantor must be below 50yrs old and working. [crazy]

• Praise 1

yr friend single, no other committments?

glc? As far as i know, all glc have lots of reports and writings to do. work environment not so good. everyone is damm kiasu

well, its a calculated risk. if yr friend is single, young and no distractions, i must say go ahead and chiong for the 2 years. Even if he/she fails to get perm position, it will still add colour to his/her CV that he/she worked in so and so GLC and the boss is a Minister . Other companies will show interests in hiring him/her.

If yr friend is married, has family, old folks to look after and not so young, i say forget it. Look for something more stable and less stress.

She married, will pass all your opinions to her for consideration.

This week she waiting for them to revert back to her on the salary negotiation.

From there , she will decide if worth the switch.

Thanks all

• Praise 1

Thanks all

Even stat board and ministry nowadays all move toward contract for new staff.

• Praise 1

Not exactly weird but here goes

After O-level, worked in KFC as waiter and kitchen staff.

After A-Level, worked in departmental store for a short while and then came to Singapore to work in Amara Hotel as waiter. Back in those days, it's so easy to get work permit.

During my poly time, worked in Euro fun fair and gave tuition.

One funny incident that occurred while working in departmental store. I was put to man the cigarette, non-prescribed medication and condoms counter. God knows why they put a late teen guy to man such counter. Anyway, there was one time, a middle age lady came to the counter with a small boy. She wanted to buy condom. Her son was curious and asked what was it and she replied, "it's a medicine for father". [laugh]

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Thanks all

Advice her to make decisions with her eyes open...........

This type of job is no night no day, and no weekend. Can her hubby take it?

Work for minister means she has to work according to the minister's schedule. (always chasing deadlines)

The fact that the glc had shortlisted her means she has some calibre and qualifications. Working for a minister need to have some really high standards, before they even bother to look at a candidate. Imagine they can easily pick someone else from hundreds of applicants and gov't scholars.

But calibre and qualifications are only on paper. Yr friend needs to weigh her personal commitments, stamina, stress level and most importantly, her job interests.

She has to love the job before doing it.

• Praise 1

Advice her to make decisions with her eyes open...........

This type of job is no night no day, and no weekend. Can her hubby take it?

Work for minister means she has to work according to the minister's schedule. (always chasing deadlines)

The fact that the glc had shortlisted her means she has some calibre and qualifications. Working for a minister need to have some really high standards, before they even bother to look at a candidate. Imagine they can easily pick someone else from hundreds of applicants and gov't scholars.

But calibre and qualifications are only on paper. Yr friend needs to weigh her personal commitments, stamina, stress level and most importantly, her job interests.

The sentence in bold is very choon. Have a fren working in MFA. Every time doing report for minister. Before minister open mouth to speak in public, all the research and info must be done. Very stressful. Work life balance = 0.

she has to love the minister to do it, if she doesn't agree with the minister then is a drag/torture.

• Praise 2

Have. That is SAF contract. I signed before. Must have two guarantor too. In case u cannot pay back, the other two will pay for you. And the two guarantor must be below 50yrs old and working. [crazy]

Same same, i signed before also, but not from saf but a government agency.

But last time, young any how sign, now cannot😃

• Praise 1

must be some low cost agency...cos only herself "self producer, self camera lady, self director" [gorgeous]

Turn around and ask her whether she want to be the nuke model for you lah...you pay her instead... [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

i had a weird job once. aft o lvls, worked part time in fedex at cargo complex. night shift clearing the cargo fm the containers into trucks n vice versa. so a few of us were sort of perm night shift taken care by a supervisor n team leader. after few wks a grp of them left. some changed to morning shift leaving me alone at night shift with a bunch of new guys.

my team leader also changed to morning shift. b4 his last day at night shift, he assigned me to some paperwork job. so he roughly showed me wat to do on the 1st night n it was like a 1hr job at most. so for a few days my job was to arrange some papers n sleep. wake up in the morning n went home. it felt so weird n useless that i left the job. that time i felt that the fedex ppl don even know that im working there. [crazy]

• Praise 2

i had a weird job once. aft o lvls, worked part time in fedex at cargo complex. night shift clearing the cargo fm the containers into trucks n vice versa. so a few of us were sort of perm night shift taken care by a supervisor n team leader. after few wks a grp of them left. some changed to morning shift leaving me alone at night shift with a bunch of new guys.

my team leader also changed to morning shift. b4 his last day at night shift, he assigned me to some paperwork job. so he roughly showed me wat to do on the 1st night n it was like a 1hr job at most. so for a few days my job was to arrange some papers n sleep. wake up in the morning n went home. it felt so weird n useless that i left the job. that time i felt that the fedex ppl don even know that im working there. [crazy]

no wonder some of the amazon free shipping got stuck in SG [laugh]

joking only [grin]

• Praise 2

Twincharged

SAF can consider ??

I was a "professional enemy" for about 1 month ...

everytime the other coys have exercise, they will borrow "us" and then we will become "enemy" to be killed by them at the end of the exercise so they can pass their exercise. if we dun die, that means they fail.

when not doing eney, will go around cut grass and wash drains sweep parade square.

• Praise 3

Fed up... With Fed Ex.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

no wonder some of the amazon free shipping got stuck in SG [laugh]

joking only [grin]

no lo...no shipment got stuck. jus went to the wrong places mayb. LOL!

Fed up... With Fed Ex.

it's not fed up la. it was the easiest $50 a 16yr old can earn. start work at 11pm, sleep by 1am, wake up at 7am, hand in the papers n go home by 8. jus felt so out of place. cos no friends, no one knows im ard....really very weird.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

it's not fed up la. it was the easiest $50 a 16yr old can earn. start work at 11pm, sleep by 1am, wake up at 7am, hand in the papers n go home by 8. jus felt so out of place. cos no friends, no one knows im ard....really very weird.

when I was 16, I was only getting $1.90/hr at the fastfood restaurant .. lucky that time still got buss-pass, so can save on bus-fare.

↡ Advertisement