Any rich to rag people here?

LoverofCar

In the other thread, we see many members sharing their experiences on how to make it up from a humble beginning...I was thinking..from another side of the coin.....it will be an interesting sharing for people that experienced great set back in life...this could be a good learning for all members here as well.....that's the reason for opening up this thread.

↡ Advertisement

my big uncle, in the eighties I remember, was like ultra rich. he was a contractor or something. I rem when I was in pri school, his kids (my cousins) could always get the newest toys that TV always had. He also had a few cars, one of which is the mercedes 200 E or something. His kids' and our grandparents' birthday he would book the whole restaurant or even on a yacht or something. Machiam those HK movies kind. Oh I remember he had a tai-kor-tai handphone. This was around 1985.

One day I heard his partner played him out, took away all his businesses. THen he started to decline. He then asked my smallest uncle to be his guarantor but he ended up not able to repay anything so both go bankrupt. I really sympathize with my smallest uncle, but u know those old family the mother will force the siblings to help each other which they call 打虎不離親兄弟 or something in cantonese.

Until now he hasn't recovered. In the process he lost his marriage (they found out he had 2 mistresses, with kids somemore), he lost almost everything.

"remember he had a tai-kor-tai handphone. This was around 1985."

mobile phone ( not the type white in kolor, installed inside yr car, with a rectangle metal box fixed at the back boot near spare tyre ) started here in 199O...

In the other thread, we see many members sharing their experiences on how to make it up from a humble beginning...I was thinking..from another side of the coin.....it will be an interesting sharing for people that experienced great set back in life...this could be a good learning for all members here as well.....that's the reason for opening up this thread.

You damn free hor?

You damn free hor?

mai an ni ler.......every thing also got two side mah... different learning experience wat......btw...my english you do understand right? [laugh]

Edited by LoverofCar

With inflation like now, many are going rich to rag.

mobile phone ( not the type white in kolor, installed inside yr car, with a rectangle metal box fixed at the back boot near spare tyre ) started here in 199O...

I dunno if its a car phone or what but I do remember him using one while driving, and my impression was that it had an antenna and looks like those HK movie type

With inflation like now, many are going rich to rag.

i think if no bubble burst, most will be middle-class becoming peasants while some will use lobangs to leap from peasant to atas.

But when bubble burst, or redistribution of wealth occurs, if atas cannot siam fast enough, then there will be many rich to rag stories. Some may not even afford broadband bills and will not post.

The scariest part will be an uptrend in suicide rate.

Frankly, in this part of the place, many people don't have high EQ or AQ. With such a strong correlation equating material wealth to social status / ego/ self worth/ existence in life, it is very possible, some may not find hope in living.

In the Asian financial crisis, some of our neighbours had seen this uptrend. Thailand was the least affected because many had strong Buddist beliefs and the religious strength tied them through.

I have seen many... very satkee during their heydays... very low and depressed when the party is over... some even attempt suicide.

i am not just talking about towkays who struck it rich but also yuppies such as bankers.

mai an ni ler.......every thing also got two side mah... different learning experience wat......btw...my english you do understand right? [laugh]

No understand juicy sum ting long liow. :D

I have seen many... very satkee during their heydays... very low and depressed when the party is over... some even attempt suicide.

i am not just talking about towkays who struck it rich but also yuppies such as bankers.

no need to be rich towkays.

so many of my younger cousins nowadays keep job hopping, complain this complain that about their work, yet keep spending money to go on shoestring budget tours and keep posting on facebook like very steady.... really just want instant gratifications. Their brains are wired in a way to live the day and don't give a hoot about what may happen years down the road. Present hedonists.

I encourage, I advise, I even show them the way. But they just do not have the perseverence and resilience for roughing it out. They wanna enjoy first. Me, I, myself first.

Like you said, when the party is over, we see what happens.

Edited by Yattokame

Neutral Newbie

Many are like that, especially youngsters, I wonder how are they going to set a role example for the next generation of kids... sad bro.

My take is that just have to let them be, they are delusional and clouded, whatever they do now, they think they are right for doing so, whatever you say, will be fallen on deaf ears, or worst, they will just block you out, I'm sure you know.

Sometimes the best is to let them learn themselves, just have to stand one side and let nature take it's course.

Whatever happens, if they come out a stronger and wiser person, congratulate them. If they screw up, they have no one else but themselves to blame. But then again, these people may just push the blame to others.

He who does not care has no woes.. [:p] walk the middle path is best sometimes, don't attach yourself too much to the point these people actually bother you, but don't detach yourself too much to the point if these people screw up, they have no one to help them up.

The same is with my ex-gf, everything is done in her name of "justice" and her own idea of what is right for her. Just have to let go, and focus a little more on ourselves instead of others.

Edited by Noctis

My own (potential) riches - to - (relatively) rags story... the day I have to select uni courses, I actually qualified for law school, but decided that "engineering" was more manly... Now... [bigcry]

[laugh]

My own (potential) riches - to - (relatively) rags story... the day I have to select uni courses, I actually qualified for law school, but decided that "engineering" was more manly... Now... [bigcry]

[laugh]

oh yeah. I was supposed to go engineering but I changed course during NS. I was asking myself where I will stand amongst the sea of engineers, and what if the industry needs change?

The water bottle version came out first in 1985... [:p]

Talking abt tis topic.

Anyone believe that a man take gamble as his job and able to raise a family of 4. Thats wat i heard fr my fren. trueor nt? i dnt knw, even if there is... it is very very very rare, and i think he wnt share how he does it.

wat u guys think?

↡ Advertisement