CNA: More drivers caught for flouting child seat belt rules

Darthrevan

More drivers have been caught by the Traffic Police for not putting on seat belts or appropriate restraints for children travelling in vehicles.

The number has doubled in the first half of this year, compared to the same period last year.

This follows changes to seat belt rules in the beginning of the year.

Since January, anyone below the height of 1.35 metres needs to be properly secured - either with seat belts, child restraints or booster seat cushions - when travelling in a car.

Previously, the seat belt rule applies to children aged eight and below.

Police say in the first half of the year, 490 drivers were caught for failing to belt up their young passengers, compared to 220 in the same period last year.

Parents say they find it challenging to belt up their children.

"You need to offer some incentives, sweets and all sorts of funny things, all the distractions. It actually has its practical issues."

"The kids find it uncomfortable but we try to force it onto them. Otherwise, we just don't move off because it is important for them, for their safety."

"Of course as a parent, we just need to tell them that this is for their safety. If I'm struggling, if they refuse to put the seat belt on, I just use force to buckle them up. After that, they just cry a little, then it's ok."

One psychologist says it's understandable that kids do not like to be restrained, but parents need to think safety first and not give in to their children.

Dr Qu Li, Assistant Professor, Division of Psychology, Nanyang Technological University, said: "Parents need to know more about how to deal with the situation and more about safety issues. For example, in Singapore, once in a while, we will see parents putting young children at the front passenger seat, which is not safe at all. Some parents may think this seat is safe, there is an air bag to protect the children. For younger children who are so short, when the air bags blow open, it will completely cover their face. They can't breath. They will die."

She said adults need to get creative when teaching kids the importance of belting up.

Dr Qu said: "If we just say, bring a textbook, this is rule number 1, number 2, number 3, children of course won't follow it. But if we say, "let's play a game, you're the driver, I'm the passenger, and what we will do." Children can learn very fast. Also I think what they learn during the pre-school years, they will remember. That will also help when they grow up and become teenagers."

Police stressed the importance of drivers taking responsibility for their own safety and the safety of their young passengers.

Those who flout the seat-belt rules will be fined $120, and given three demerit points.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1225638/1/.html

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

not unexpected.

i see many drivers using HP when on the wheels....

all the bad habits coming out and no one enforces them like in the past.

What a load of horse crap. In the past decade what were the numbers? Zero?

It's only accidents happen dan they start to focus on this specific group and numbers start to increase as they catch more ppl. Actually they are not helping by penalising the parents. Fine and summons do not solve problems.

The talk on safety is equally ludicrous, they should also fine bus drivers and cab drivers who does not provide child seats for their children passengers. The ruling is obviously biased.

Not belting up is nothing. I see lorry drivers carrying toddlers on their lap when they drive! [hur]:blink:

[mad] [mad] :blink: :blink: they probably tink that their lorry very tall, big and too tough for others to cause much damage....until they met another lorry.

Why they take such risks of putting own child's life in danger is really so careless.....sometimes wonder these parents left house wo bringing brains out or maybe too pea sized so can't find.....haizzz

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Seriously please go catch those who drive and ride with handphones on hand. I have seen A LOT of these.

Illegal modifications, botak tyres, faulty headlights... vs child seat, all needs to be enforced but which one most likely to cause accidents / collisions / whatever.

I strongly feel that those who don't belt up children should be awarded more demerit points.

Parents who make lame excuses about their kids crying in protest deserve a whack on their heads.

Which do they prefer- an injured/dead child or a crying one?

These people should watch pictures or videos of children being victims in car accidents!

However, I find such people incorrigible in their bad habit of not belting up their kids and even themselves!

Gave reasons like : they don't speed, they are experienced and careful drivers. :wacko:

S Dee R 984 Tee

Black Grandis

Weekdays morning: Marymount to Thomson to Chancery Lane.

2 Children always unbelted, climbing from 2nd to 3rd row and back.

Uncle/Auntie driver, slow.

Keep a look out.

TP has been informed.

After seeing a mother driving a Scirocco with her kid hopping around in the back seat like a farking playground, i have to conclude that i simply do not understand parents in Singapore who drive.

What is the point of spending all that money on an expensive car with 5-star Euro NCAP rating and a bazillion airbags, when you do not even take the simple basic step of STRAPPING YOUR LITTLE BRATS INTO THEIR SEATS??!! :o

After seeing a mother driving a Scirocco with her kid hopping around in the back seat like a farking playground, i have to conclude that i simply do not understand parents in Singapore who drive.

What is the point of spending all that money on an expensive car with 5-star Euro NCAP rating and a bazillion airbags, when you do not even take the simple basic step of STRAPPING YOUR LITTLE BRATS INTO THEIR SEATS??!! :o

Because they thought they drive sbs bus :D No need seat belt :D

Why sbs bus no need seat belt? Because bus tua teng :D

This is the result of poor education.

Supercharged

Some active kids likes to move around, its very hard to stop them, especially if there is only one adult in the car and he/she is driving. Even if you buckle them up, later they will unbuckle and jump around.... Eg. if the child sits on left side and saw a interesting thing on the right side, very naturally they will move to right side... [:(]

Supercharged

S Dee R 984 Tee

Black Grandis

Weekdays morning: Marymount to Thomson to Chancery Lane.

2 Children always unbelted, climbing from 2nd to 3rd row and back.

Uncle/Auntie driver, slow.

Keep a look out.

TP has been informed.

Give chance lah... the uncle/auntie may want to control but his/her hands are tied on the steering wheel....then how? [:(]

↡ Advertisement