Changi Airport - World Best

Picnic06-Biante15

CNA report : Changi Airport named world's best by Business Traveller readers

Posted: 18 September 2012 1229 hrs

SINGAPORE: Changi Airport has been named the world's best by readers of a leading travel publication.

It is the airport's 25th consecutive win.

Launched in 1984, the Business Traveller awards are an annual celebration of travel companies that have made a difference to the lives of travellers from the United Kingdom and Europe.

The results are determined by votes from readers and audited by an independent company.

Other winners this year include Singapore Airlines and The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore.

Mr Julian Gregory, managing director of Panacea Publishing, which publishes the Business Traveller, said continued investment, innovation and consistency of service have created an environment with a sense of calm efficiency.

He described Changi Airport as a "place where our readers can work or relax without the stresses and distractions that impact travellers so much today".

The award was accepted by Mr Lee Seow Hiang, chief executive officer of Changi Airport Group, at a ceremony in London on Monday.

"What we did was to focus on the passengers we served and through the years, invested to develop an offering that resonates with the needs of our passengers and visitors. To stay ahead, we introduced practical and innovative facilities, and infused the Changi Service DNA - personalised, stress-free and positively surprising - in the overall airport experience. This philosophy of providing a first-class Changi Experience will continue to be the backbone of our success," said Mr Lee.

The facilities at the airport, which opened in 1981, included themed gardens, movie theatres, rooftop swimming pool, gym and spa and hundreds of shopping and dining options.

The world's most-awarded airport, Changi has received 18 accolades since the beginning of the year.

This brings to 410 the total number of awards it has won in its history.

- CNA/cc

Fully agree, after the major renovations in the past 3 years, the results and feeling when landed in Changi Airport after passing through the Immigration was [:)]

But the stupid AETOS or CISCO officers on duty at the exit after claiming baggages should be [rifle]

Our baggages had been cleared through the highly sophisticated X-ray machines installed at the baggage handling centre and they still pick at random to screen through their X-ray machine placed near the exit. Have to unload all the bags again and wasting of time waiting to be screened again. At times, the queue is very long and slow process. [mad]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

But the stupid AETOS or CISCO officers on duty at the exit after claiming baggages should be [rifle]

Our baggages had been cleared through the highly sophisticated X-ray machines installed at the baggage handling centre and they still pick at random to screen through their X-ray machine placed near the exit. Have to unload all the bags again and wasting of time waiting to be screened again. At times, the queue is very long and slow process. [mad]

Agreed, i also do not understand why is there a need to screen through our baggage again at the exit by those officers? [confused] But usually i think these officers are looking for prohibited items inside the baggage like pirated vcd etc and look for cigarette on the traveller pocket.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

The sophisticated X-ray machine also manned by another aetos ma whom is human n prone to error so its just a double precaution. Passport clearance already consider one Of fastest ard so no complain for me

Edited by Tayspiderx
  • Praise 1

definitely security reasons.

perhaps there is a loophole and the special need for the double checking.

sometimes this actions are based on tip offs.

It is an inconvenience but if you consider the larger picture you might support this procedure.

• Praise 1

Best but the one we spend the least time in.

some friends I know purposely bring their kids to T3 because of the space ley.

can run around till drop. [laugh]

Take a ride on The Slide@T3, the world's tallest slide in an airport. Standing at a height of 12 metres high or four storeys tall, shriek your way down the slide while reaching top speeds of up to 6 metres per second!

To thank you for your support, with effect from 4 October 2010, for every $10 spent at Changi Airport in a single receipt, members of the public can redeem one ride at the 12 metre slide* located at Terminal 3, Arrival Hall (Level 1), Public Area.

To get a preview of the speed, whiz down the one-and-a-half storey tall slide* at Basement 2! No minimum spend is required for this.

Both slides are open daily from 12.00pm to 10.30pm.

Anyone tried the slide yet? It's been two years n I yet even seen it... Lol

definitely security reasons.

perhaps there is a loophole and the special need for the double checking.

sometimes this actions are based on tip offs.

It is an inconvenience but if you consider the larger picture you might support this procedure.

But they only do random checks, so still no use. And i notice that they like to conduct checks usually on males rather than females. [rolleyes]

But it still don't have free WIFI. The only WIFI signal there is wireless@sg which need to have a account with local telco before you can use.

Although this does not affect me but for tourist it is inconvinient.

• Praise 1

The second check is by ICA not aetos or cisco. Reason for this check is because some countries have lax rules on weapon. So weapon can be purchased anywhere and bring into Singapore. I'm not saying other countries security have lapse, but to safeguard our country interest, our people's live, we need to tighten up our security control measures. Those who think waste of time, wait till one day your family got injured by these people who brings in prohibited item, don't complain our checkpoints are not doing their due diligence if they lax the rules due to your complaint.

• Praise 1

But they only do random checks, so still no use. And i notice that they like to conduct checks usually on males rather than females. [rolleyes]

Their check is selective and depending on arriving flight city. So far I have not been stop by them even though I travel about 6-8 times a year.

double random itself tells us that the level is not extreme (yet), albeit high nonetheless.

not sure if we were to compare to US, are we as extreme?

For flight originating from Indonesia (especially Jakarta).. your first set of xray is immediately AFTER you disembark at the gate.. and applies to all flights (incl. SQ).. <_<

Their check is selective and depending on arriving flight city. So far I have not been stop by them even though I travel about 6-8 times a year.

This i have to agree, they conduct checks depends on the arriving flight city. Seems like they like to conduct check usually flight from popular city like taiwan, HK and BKK. [rolleyes]

tight security you also want to complaint <_<

Not complaining but why triple checks ?

Before we board the plane in the other country, we are screened from head to bottom by their security after immigration. Then at the holding area to board, we are screened again by the airline company security staff. Back to S'pore, why screen again for locals at the entrance..... :o

For others, I agrees as they could be friends of their own countries security guards and let in without checking, then it make sense to screen them at our side. -_-

Edited by Picnic06

The second check is by ICA not aetos or cisco. Reason for this check is because some countries have lax rules on weapon. So weapon can be purchased anywhere and bring into Singapore. I'm not saying other countries security have lapse, but to safeguard our country interest, our people's live, we need to tighten up our security control measures. Those who think waste of time, wait till one day your family got injured by these people who brings in prohibited item, don't complain our checkpoints are not doing their due diligence if they lax the rules due to your complaint.

Sorry, ICA don't do checks for baggages, only passport. Its those Aetos or CertisCISCO officers mending those entrances. Last time used to be Police officers but outsource to Aetos or CertisCISCO.

SATS police officers only check certain areas in the airport and those counters for SIA. -_-

↡ Advertisement