Help me: Car cannot idle...Due to water or tuning box?

Zyklon

Background: Installed a reputable tuning box two days ago. After install did 3 cold starts, another few warm start. Travelled around 100km with no issue at all. In fact car has never been so smooth. Did about 30km of spirited driving at lim chu kang yesterday 4am. Power improvement is exceptional.

Today:Had a cold start in the morning, no problem. Nothing abnormal. Then followed by another 2 warm starts, plus some short journey in between.

Then wash car AND ahem, radiator using hose. Somehow the water trapped in the radiator was blown onto engine bay by the fan. Car still drive normally and was shifted to dry area.

Then I went on to reposition my tuning box without touching any connectors. After which the car could still start, idle and rev normally to 2k rpm. So close hood and go home.

1 hour later want to go out. Car could start but few seconds only the engine will stall. Repeated 3 times and finally just press accelerator a bit to keep it going. Few seoncds later engine can idle liao. More water was sprayed onto the engine when the radiator fan started going...wiped dry. Car no abnormality. Drives and idles normally.

So my problem with the idle was more possibly caused by tuning box or the water?

↡ Advertisement

Background: Installed a reputable tuning box two days ago. After install did 3 cold starts, another few warm start. Travelled around 100km with no issue at all. In fact car has never been so smooth. Did about 30km of spirited driving at lim chu kang yesterday 4am. Power improvement is exceptional.

Today:Had a cold start in the morning, no problem. Nothing abnormal. Then followed by another 2 warm starts, plus some short journey in between.

Then wash car AND ahem, radiator using hose. Somehow the water trapped in the radiator was blown onto engine bay by the fan. Car still drive normally and was shifted to dry area.

Then I went on to reposition my tuning box without touching any connectors. After which the car could still start, idle and rev normally to 2k rpm. So close hood and go home.

1 hour later want to go out. Car could start but few seconds only the engine will stall. Repeated 3 times and finally just press accelerator a bit to keep it going. Few seoncds later engine can idle liao. More water was sprayed onto the engine when the radiator fan started going...wiped dry. Car no abnormality. Drives and idles normally.

So my problem with the idle was more possibly caused by tuning box or the water?

i nid sum english lessons..to visualise whatcha tryin to say~

u should take out the junk box and go to a proper mechanic for a check

Don't think it is a junk box leh...reputable box installed by a reputable workshop that services cars with the engine in the wrong position.

Don't think it is a junk box leh...reputable box installed by a reputable workshop that services cars with the engine in the wrong position.

A bit confusing on the water spraying part: you talking about car wash or intercooler spray or methanol kit?

Oh wait.....you talking about water residue from car wash being blown to engine?

Anyway idling issues should not be due to some water.

Btw are you referring to ECUTECH?

Think many forumers is confuse with the terms you use and the way to describe... allow me to confirm a few things with you....

" tuning box" - What is this??? after market ECU or piggyback???

"After install did 3 cold starts, another few warm start"- What is all these cold start and warm start??? Warming up the engines? starting the engine when its cold??

"Then I went on to reposition my tuning box without touching any connectors. After which the car could still start, idle and rev normally to 2k rpm. So close hood and go home."- You meant your so call tuning box is installed in the engine bay??

Washed the car at home using a pressurised hose. Sprayed water from outside onto the radiator to clear the dust and dirt on the radiator.

Tuning box= A box that takes readings from the engine sensors and feedback to the ecu some fake values? Very popular with TC cars like vw, audi, merc, bmw, etc...no not ECU tech, but it is a similar one.

Cold start= start engine when engine is cold, like after engine was shutted off for 8 hours or more.

Warm start= start engine when engine is still warm. Some cars have inherent problem with jumpy idle the first few seconds after a warm start.

Ya, tuning box is installed in engine bay. Honestly, this tuning box thing is so suprising? It is quite common leh...

Seems e problem only started when u took out box n reinstalled.

Likely u installed incorrectly or u damaged something when u itchy backside move e box.

I suggest u go back where u bought it n get them to see what is wrong.

And dont forget to buy them kopi n learn yr lesson to dont try to fix it if it aint broken. Hahaha.

From your description, my deduction would be that the problem is caused by the water.

After you rev the engine abit, the water dried up.

So now the problem is gone.

No worries.

Just send it back to the mechanic to fix the problem. Never use pressurised hose washing on your radiator.

best post so far... i totally agreed...even thou i always thumb press my hose..i realise...erm... water go into filter... filter moisture go into combustion..more soot...created..... by then the towing also cost money...maybe the wait to auto dry...some dark corners cannot autodry...then mechanic see lols....save money mah.... [laugh]

Want test go pasir gudang test la. Why do it normal road?

the road is only 70km/h, not many people don't mean nobody uses the road.

Edited by Rustyz