Comfortable car for old folks

Kreampuff

I drive a Merc C class and my mum complains of pain in her legs due to the seating position. She prefers an upright seat with firmer seats. Does anyone have old folks in their family and have chosen cars based on the comfortable seating position for passengers?

I'm guessing SUVs or MPVs, but look forward to any input.

How tall is your mom? All the euro 7 seat MPV's should be fine. If jap, other than the Mazda 5, you'll have to go for an 8 seater MPV. If your mom isn't too short, most SUVs should be alright too. If you want something around the C class size, perhaps the upcoming Volvo V40 cross country will be suitable.

↡ Advertisement

my late paternal grandmother don't have knee problem, but with a failing renal problem.

my vios, uncle's odyssey cannot get in and out even with support [bigcry] heartbreaking.

need pi por chia send to-and fro.

my maternal grandmother have knee problem.

the knee cap the "soft bone" gone thus like bone rub bone.

but so many cousin and uncle ah vios, jazz, wish, urvan, civic, teana go in come out can independent and she is 82 this year.

to each his/her own.

72 still young... When I am 92 and tired of living, i might find the most comfortable car to be RadX's Volvo wagon..... [grin]

u want to sit beside me or behind? [laugh] [laugh]

I'm guessing SUVs or MPVs, but look forward to any input.

Wrong bro.

I had a BMW SUV once.

Both my FIL and grandma had difficulty "climbing" in.

No need for assistance, though they would take slightly longer to re-position themselves before mounting.

Perhaps a lower (normal height) MPV would be better for old folks.

Volkswagen got a model, I couldn't remember what was it. A family car with decent head room. Ah ma go in shouldn't be a problem.

But ah ma would certainly be impacted when the Touran's 7-DSG acts up and the car sits on the road side, all dead w/o air conditioning, waiting for the tow truck to come! [:p]

Give VWs 7-dry a pass lah.

Unker, there's a big difference between 52, 62, 72 and 82. 52 is not considered very old yet. In fact, not even 62. Maybe when u r 72 u want to see whether it's still easy to get into a low-slung sedan or not lol

I am not even 42, but I am feeling old already.

Edited by Albeniz

when my mom sat in my porsche, she actually loved it, as she as sitting on the floor. Just that u gotta help her out. She din like th emx-5 tho, cos that was really low

U soooooooo bad. Scared she dirty yr car seat n make her sit on e floor.

There is always retribution.

U soooooooo bad. Scared she dirty yr car seat n make her sit on e floor.

There is always retribution.

muahahah....so low tht she felt like she sitting floor lah cb... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

we got an alphard for my grandpa with the detachable motorized wheel chair (there's a specific company that does these mods, i forgot the name though). it was quite convenient and comfortable for him, especially in his later days when he could no longer walk ...

Should get a car that the seats (either front/rear) is roughly at the elderly folks hips,

thus they can just slide in and out easily. At their aged, they won't want to use their knees too much.

Some might recommend a car that their folks find ok, but if your folks are taller/shorter, will not be suitable.

I think you should look for something with higher seating position, sliding doors and soft ride.

Perhaps an Estima or Mazda 8 would be most suitable.

Thanks, all. For some background, I don't live with my mom and only occasionally fetch her around, maybe once or twice a week, so not too keen on getting a dedicated old folk taxi. I have no kids so a sedan is more than enough for my needs 90% of the time. For that reason, I prefer not to get a MPV with seating for many people.

I think her main issue is not knees (although that is certainly an issue for all old people) but because a pinched nerve in her lower back makes it difficult for her to sit in chairs which are sloped backwards, because it puts pressure on her lower back. In contrast, she prefers upright hard seats like MRT seats where she can put more weight on her thighs when sitting. MRT is also preferable because she can stand up once if she starts feeling uncomfortable. Once I was fetching her to Ang Mo Kio when she made me stop at an MRT near my house and she took MRT while I went by car, and we met at Ang Mo Kio.

muahahah....so low tht she felt like she sitting floor lah cb... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Like that damm easy fr oldies.

Just ask them lie flat on e road n roll them into e car. Like those car carrier ships. RORO Roll on roll off. Hahaha

Thanks, all. For some background, I don't live with my mom and only occasionally fetch her around, maybe once or twice a week, so not too keen on getting a dedicated old folk taxi. I have no kids so a sedan is more than enough for my needs 90% of the time. For that reason, I prefer not to get a MPV with seating for many people.

I think her main issue is not knees (although that is certainly an issue for all old people) but because a pinched nerve in her lower back makes it difficult for her to sit in chairs which are sloped backwards, because it puts pressure on her lower back. In contrast, she prefers upright hard seats like MRT seats where she can put more weight on her thighs when sitting. MRT is also preferable because she can stand up once if she starts feeling uncomfortable. Once I was fetching her to Ang Mo Kio when she made me stop at an MRT near my house and she took MRT while I went by car, and we met at Ang Mo Kio.

How about retrofitting one of the seat in your car then - just to ensure she sits comfortably. Its heart-wrenching to see one's mum in pain :(

How about retrofitting one of the seat in your car then - just to ensure she sits comfortably. Its heart-wrenching to see one's mum in pain :(

I would recommend that also. You can custom make one of your seats to be more upright, just for your mum.

↡ Advertisement