AA car evaluation report for the second hand car I'm buying

Newdrive

Supercharged

I sent a Vios I eyeing for a AA check.

This Vios and the previous Jazz/Fit were from the same dealer?

↡ Advertisement

What is the mileage?

If drive belt is cracking, maybe routine maintenance not done, maybe mileage wound back.

Maybe can use this to negotiate for some more off.

Overall seems reasonable

Does the mileage matter?

It will be adjusted accordingly anyway.

Why buy a car which already have so much problem?

Who knows what will happen in the near future?

Edited by Vectrasonic

Does the mileage matter?

For a car more than 5yrs old, worn brake pad, timing belt crack etc.. should be normal wear and tear. Uneven tyre wear can be due to wheel alignment.

If previous owner is prepare to change car, the above maintenance will of course not be done. I will always send my car for a full maintenance after buy a 2nd hand car.

More important for the evaluation is to look for any major accident/modification involve.

Supercharged

Look for another car. This one is no go

U can definitely trust AA assessment. Alot better than viacom or STA. We all know what goes inside those 2

Is the gear a CVTF?

Alot of 2nd hand dealers are afraid to go to AA, because they know AA is no-nonsense. They go by the book.

So for your next car that u will be eyeing, insist on AA too. If the dealer refused, DON'T buy that car

Turbocharged

Does the mileage matter?

Yeah mileage matters -

You can guess if and how much been wound back - and then use it as a negotiating point with the dealer. Can also try to guess about other things.

If mileage say 45,000 km - you know the dealer dishonest and wonder what other maintenance not done,

If mileage say 73,000 then maybe dealer realtively honest.

Also, for a car around 6-7 years old, the problems don't strike me as being out of the ordinary - this is part and parcel of buying a used car. Will sure have some repairs, is just a matter of how much, and trying to choose a car that will minimise your risk.

For a car more than 5yrs old, worn brake pad, timing belt crack etc.. should be normal wear and tear. Uneven tyre wear can be due to wheel alignment.

If previous owner is prepare to change car, the above maintenance will of course not be done. I will always send my car for a full maintenance after buy a 2nd hand car.

More important for the evaluation is to look for any major accident/modification involve.

Some people dont even bother to send their car for evaluation when they buy used car, even the car is 5 year old. [:p] Maybe they also wonder whether these evaluation report is true or not?!

If I am eyeing a used car, how do we arrange for the AA inspection? On what ground can we reject buying the car? I know that if we send to Vc or STA, we can reject the car if car is graded C or D - to be agreed before hand with the dealer. For AA inspection, there is no grading - as can be seen in TS' report.

Are there any dealers who willingly allow the potential buyer to decide after viewing the report? They will claim, "if everyone sends the car we sell for inspection which will take more than one hour each time, we will be very busy".

Or do I simply walk away if dealer does not want to have the car inspected? What if 90% of the dealers are like that and the remaining 10% do not have the car I like?

Supercharged

I sent a Vios I eyeing for a AA check.

Any comments?

According to this report:

25/26 - seems like it had an accident before, hence was resprayed.

16/37 - can lead to complications later....

The rest - worn parts are normal wear & tear. If you want this car, tell the agent to change all these worn parts at his own cost, then takeover.

[:(]

Yeah mileage matters -

You can guess if and how much been wound back - and then use it as a negotiating point with the dealer. Can also try to guess about other things.

If mileage say 45,000 km - you know the dealer dishonest and wonder what other maintenance not done,

If mileage say 73,000 then maybe dealer realtively honest.

Also, for a car around 6-7 years old, the problems don't strike me as being out of the ordinary - this is part and parcel of buying a used car. Will sure have some repairs, is just a matter of how much, and trying to choose a car that will minimise your risk.

this Vios is 103K according to the dealer.

actually the comment from AA for this Vios is that he is very surprise that he cannot detect any major accident on this car. but he cannot guarantee if there is minor accidents.

Turbocharged

If I am eyeing a used car, how do we arrange for the AA inspection? On what ground can we reject buying the car? I know that if we send to Vc or STA, we can reject the car if car is graded C or D - to be agreed before hand with the dealer. For AA inspection, there is no grading - as can be seen in TS' report.

Are there any dealers who willingly allow the potential buyer to decide after viewing the report? They will claim, "if everyone sends the car we sell for inspection which will take more than one hour each time, we will be very busy".

Or do I simply walk away if dealer does not want to have the car inspected? What if 90% of the dealers are like that and the remaining 10% do not have the car I like?

I don't have answer for you, but do know that often in NZ the dealer provides the report for, and they are more than happy to let you get evaluated. No strings attached.

Turbocharged

this Vios is 103K according to the dealer.

actually the comment from AA for this Vios is that he is very surprise that he cannot detect any major accident on this car. but he cannot guarantee if there is minor accidents.

So this car the mileage might be genuine.

Also, remember that you are spending 30k. Boo hoo for the dealer if takes more than an hour when so much at stake.

for me, based on AA report, u can also call up the person doing the check and seek some advise from him.

for me those old cars (5 years and up), as long as no major mechanical or engine fault that needs costly repair or replacement later. i will take it.

car cosmetic wise wun have 100% but dealers usually will do up the car (like small dents , paint loss etc).

if the dealer refuse to send to AA, just walk away.

so far the two dealers both ok to go AA except for the Jazz one.... even though report came back as very negative, he is still very blatant that its common for old cars like that.

anyway i advise you to sign up as AA member cos it will cost $90 instead of $120 (exclude gst) for each evaluation...

I spent $128.40 x 2 .... could have save $30-40+ if i sign up as a member haha (didn't know before i am going for more then 1 evaluation).

There is some perks as AA member too.... got discounts at workshops and tyre shops. etc

According to this report:

25/26 - seems like it had an accident before, hence was resprayed.

16/37 - can lead to complications later....

The rest - worn parts are normal wear & tear. If you want this car, tell the agent to change all these worn parts at his own cost, then takeover.

[:(]

yup, the dealer say he will fix those before handing the car to me.

Turbocharged

AA membership is worth it.

I have been a member since buying car 6 years ago.

Free jump start, tyre change, if lock keys inside they also come.

Then the other benefits mentioned. Well worth while...

↡ Advertisement